Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 821 to 840 of 4,712

Anti-Matter

I wonder if PS5 will get support from Limited Run Games / Strictly Limited Games / eastsoftasia for digital to physical release games. 🤔

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I'm no technical wizard, but I'd imagine there'd need to be some kind of tweaking of the game's code via a patch. Games are designed to run a certain way on certain hardware, and simply "speeding them up" can cause all kinds of weird and not-so-wonderful issues (as the PS3's PSone emulator can unfortunately demonstrate when running a game from an original disc). As you say, loading something quicker would be fine in certain circumstances, but I'm not sure framerates would improve as a game still has to keep up with itself, as well as the technology running it.

Like you, I stick with PushSquare but the recent revival of sister site Pure Xbox could make it a teensy bit easier to occasionally drop by and check out the competition's headlines... or, failing that, more likely that any major announcement from "the Team in Green" would get a Soapbox article here. For the moment, I think it's all just been promises and PR speak to build hype.

@Anti-Matter I've noticed that Limited Run Games tend to produce physical versions of digital-only games and so, as soon as the PlayStation5 starts to see some digital-only content put on its PS Store, I'm sure they'll begin exploring their options and available licences.

It's kinda their whole deal, so I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @RogerRoger Watch from about 14 minutes in. Sounds like it is baked into the hardware of the ps5, so I'm assuming no patch is required. But each game needs to be tested to ensure it runs properly, which is what Cerny said in his presentation.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Okay, so it'll depend on the game's code, and whether or not they have locked or unlocked performance abilities. Otherwise the PS5 will just emulate the PS4's original performance and speed up a few loading screens.

Interesting. Thanks for finding that!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, thanks - that clears up a lot of my question. Although the video is steeped in dense technological lingo that is way over my head, I think I got the gist of it. With the legacy mode it appears that most titles will run at least as well as they did on PS4, but the difference in processors make it difficult to guarantee. Like he says there though, it may be worth revisiting a PS4 game with unlocked frame rate code that was hitting mostly 30fps on PS4 and be able to play it in 60fps.
Still, the fact that CD project has stated a next gen patch will be coming for Cyberpunk means that perhaps a lot of games will be adding more features to upgrade their graphics and performance on PS5.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger @Th3solution No problem guys. I just happened to watch that this morning and thought it would help in your current quandary. And it is much the same process with the Xbox SeX too if I'm not mistaken.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@redd214 That's cool man, glad some have found it helpful!

JJ2

Yes about this 'PS5 will be in short supply' clickbait everysite is pushing.... its obviously as of now and will evolve if/when the current crisis evolves.
🙄
Edit
I still think it will sell more than PS4 at launch.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Th3solution

@JJ2 I just hope the shortage isn’t an excuse for a higher price point that they will just end up keeping there even after the production is normalized. My guess is if it hits market at $550, then we’re stuck with that price for the next couple years. I was hoping for about $100 less.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JJ2

@Th3solution
There s no need for excuse in the price. It will be more expensive than ps4 but competition will keep it in check, not 'excuses'

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Th3solution

@JJ2 I hope so. I’ve been considering getting a Nintendo Switch for some added Corona lock-down fun, and they are going for huge mark ups due to the shortages. Obviously MSRP is not the $400-700 that the second hand market is currently at, but if the PS5 releases amidst the production squeeze of COVID19, I wouldn’t put it past Sony to use the ‘supply and demand’ rationale to bump the day 1 price higher than it would have been in a non-pandemic world. Same would go for XBSeX. If the factories in China and elsewhere can’t keep up with demand, price might be affected. I agree that console shortages will certainly be temporary, but Switch shortages have been a problem for the last 2 months with no end in sight.

Edit: But as you say, perhaps the competition with MS will keep Sony honest as far as pricing, and vice versa. Nintendo doesn’t really have a firm competitor so maybe the Switch comparison is not exactly like what might happen to PS5.

Edited on by Th3solution

Ryall

@Th3solution No console ever launches with sufficient supply for everyone who wants to buy day 1. I’m sure if you go online immediately after launch and try and find someone to sell it to you for immediate delivery all you’ll find is spivs trying to sell it to you for a massive mark up. Just order or pre-order from somewhere reputable and they will get to you eventually at the recommended retail price.

I doubt that Sony themselves will increase the price because of the shortages. They will want people to order their console and not the Xbox SX and so will need to be in line with Microsoft pricing.

Ryall

Th3solution

@Ryall That is true. There is typically launch shortages. I just hope launch shortage doesn’t progress into prolonged shortages a la the Switch situation.
I wasn’t planning to pre-order, rather wait for things to die down since my PS4 backlog will be carry me, but maybe now I will, since like you say, it should guarantee getting a console at some point at least. Unlike rolling the dice on production capabilities for the following year.

JJ2

Lately we had 'news' from Bloomberg about ps5 in limited supply and so on
Im sorry but what really annoys me is misleading information or misinformation, disinformation.

Takashi Mochizuki is reported by all the internet press, whatever he says.
His sources often being just :

'The people said.'

Just going through his history there s so much rubbish:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/next-playstation-is-three-years-...

Facts reporting from other journalists:

'[The] console market, if you look at the game industry as a whole, is not a major market but rather it’s a niche market if you will. But for core gamers, [the] immersive experience is something we would like to value.'

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-ceo-says-consol...

Compare with Mochizuki reports:

'Kenichiro Yoshida has even called the PlayStation a niche product, aimed at serious players. '

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-positions-next-playstation-...

Then you have all the internet saying ps5 is seen as a niche console by Sony.
Even when he has just facts to report he distorts them but the press takes everything he says as facts.
Those were just a few examples.
Point is, dont take everything he says too seriously.
I'm sorry for sort of ranting haha

Edited on by JJ2

PSVR_lover

I would love a better VR experience than what we currently have with the PS4. This is one area the PS5 can really make a difference. As soon as they upgrade the VR experience I am buying a PS5.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

JJ2

I dont understand most of it but it does look 'cool' 😃
From a Sony patent

HallowMoonshadow

That... clamshell like design certainly is... something @JohnnyShoulder!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JJ2

Very very interesting podcast about SSD if you have time to listen to.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic