Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 801 to 820 of 4,712

Anti-Matter

I will wait until i saw PS5 Slim with White color and at least 6 Cartoonish PS5 games to play. First release Sony machines are usually have some problems that will be fixed on Slim models or Upgraded version.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

themcnoisy

@nessisonett great post.

' I go with the company I want that offers the best service and I shop around. I just don’t have the disposable income to get everything.'

Or the time.

@BAMozzy I will try to keep an open mind. Next gen will be interesting that's for sure!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ryall

@BAMozzy My understanding is the PCI express 4.0 Port and bay containing it exist solely for the purpose of expanding the PS5 is internal storage. It is likely that the NVMe drive in the PS5 will take the form of a chip on the motherboard rather than a card in the upgrade bay. If that’s the case adding New storage will expand upon the PS5 to existing storage rather than replacing it.

It’s impossible to know for certain until the teardown comes out. But as PCIE4.0 for only has four channels it would seem unlikely that a card with the six levels of priority he described for a PS4 would actually work in that. The workaround for the expandable storage is that it’s faster than the PS5’s internal storage to compensate for having less levels of priority.

Building those cards to operate within the power constraints of the console is going to be a considerable technical challenge. They have to achieve higher speeds and only have an access to a third of a number of channels of the inbuilt SSD.

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

JJ2

@BAMozzy
'Unless you can categorically supply evidence that the way MS have gone about their SSD Storage and Expansion cards are in anyway worse for customers as far as costs and expandable solution than what Sony are going to do with PS5, I really don't think you can make that comment or criticize.'

Oh come on!
Dont get offended because I vaguely hinted and criticized xbox.
1 SeX expandable storage proprietary.
2 PS5 There s a bay for 3 rd party M2 drives.
Misinformed ?
Watch Cerny talk.
I'm not speculating but talking about facts we know as of now
🙄🙄🙄
🙄🙄🙄🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

AGAIN IF Sony had proprietary SSD upgrade the way SeX showed, (and the other way round for xbox) comments would be a sht show about how Sony is arrogant blah blah doomed. Dont get offended because I was slightly aluding SeX isnt perfect.
All I said is fact:
'Its xbox who s doing this (proprietary) , not playstation'.
Jeez

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Octane

@Ryall Of course, but you can't expect the rest of the industry to do the same thing. That was my point really. What Epic is doing is unsustainable, they are burning money right now, but with a goal in mind. If everyone were to demand the same thing from other companies, they'd be out of business soon enough.

Octane

themcnoisy

@Octane Epic were paying 30% of any transaction to Sony. Setting up another outlet without that expense is why they can afford to give away free games.

Octane

@themcnoisy No, not really. They don't make those games themselves, so they're paying the publishers to give those games away for free. And that's not cheap. Without Fortnite, none of this would've been possible. Fortnite makes several billions each year, it's mental.

Octane

themcnoisy

@Octane And swivs for unreal engine use.

Ryall

@JJ2 A year from now I would expect the Xbox series X terabyte memory card to be significantly cheaper than a terabyte NVME card that is compatible with PS5. In five years time I would expect higher capacity cards to be available for PS5 and them to be cheaper than the preparatory solution used by Microsoft.

Ryall

Ridwaano

The most amazing thing about the ps5 is the time it take to load a game!.. I take 5 second for the brain to regret a decision. Like example hitting the gym. Eating healthy. If you go before those 5 second. You will definitely get there. So if I can start up a game under a second. Then I will mostly be playing more!

Ridwaano

JJ2

@Ryall
Oh you forgot the even increasingly 'faster' thingy every year but people like to downplay that.
I believe 3rd party usually means better value anytime too 🤷‍♂️ if SeX SSD upgrade are cheaper its probably fair for lower speed vs much much faster I guess?

But I'm sick of console wars.
Back to PS5 thinking for me

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

Ryall

@JJ2 We don’t yet know exactly how much faster the PS5 additional storage is going to be compared to the Xbox series X. But it’s going to need to be somewhere between 2.2 and 2.8 times faster. In the short term that’s going to mean higher cost.

Ryall

JJ2

@Ryall
Yes I agree. Also the DualSense being more expensive than old xbox controllers type seems to indicate we ll get a very similar price for both consoles

Th3solution

I apologize if I missed this because I haven’t been paying attention to all the PS5 news or consistently following this thread, but have we heard anything official from Sony or third parties about PS5 upgrades for PS4 games being free?

I don’t typically have time to spend reading other sites so I just stick with Push Square, but I was browsing around and found a definitive statement regarding Xbox cross-buy scheme where they say if you own a game on any Xbox generation, then you don’t need to re-buy or pay for an upgrade to own it on all their generations of hardware; CD Project has confirmed that the Cyberpunk XSeX upgraded version will be free for those who own it on OneX. To my knowledge Sony hasn’t said the same for any cross-buy for PlayStation versions.

If so, that’s a pretty huge reveal. First, we have wondered if game prices will jump next gen and I think most people feel they probably will. AAA games are anticipated to be probably around $70. If so, then it makes more sense to just buy the PS4 version and get the PS5 upgrade for free.
This also would cut into Sony’s remaster pipeline that they’ve done quite a bit of this generation.
I had been thinking that one possible compromise for cross gen games was going to be added content to the next gen version. For example, play Cyberpunk or TLoU2 or GoT on PS4 for $60 or play the version on PS5 with native visual and performance upgrades and some added content like extra missions or bonus items for $70. However, the definitive statement from CD Project is:
“Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice or pay for upgrades,” the Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter account said. “Owners of #Cyberpunk2077 for Xbox One will receive the Xbox Series X upgrade for free when available.”
And then:
“There’s no official announcement coming from PlayStation so we really can’t confirm or deny anything,” he added. “It’s PlayStation that first needs to address these issues and then we’re happy to make a comment, but we can’t jump the gun ahead of them.”

What do you think? Will PS4 versions be free upgrades? If so, there should be nothing to hold us back from jumping in and getting TLoU2, Cyberpunk, Avengers, GoT, Watchdogs Legion, etc. on PS4 at release rather than waiting for PS5.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Given the nature of many passer-by comments on those news stories, both from Microsoft and CD Projekt, I think there'd be a freakin' riot if Sony didn't offer an equivalent scheme. Before long, public outcry would force them to do something (see the whole cross-play thing for precedent).

It's common for those on the back foot to get inventive; that's why Microsoft have made a definitive statement on this, because they've got to be bold to get ahead. Sony are in a comfortable position as the current-gen leaders and so (current unforeseen global situation notwithstanding) they gain nothing by giving away stuff people would normally be prepared to pay for. When the Xbox360 was trouncing the PS3, the latter didn't charge you for online play, whereas the former did. Why? Marketing.

People are gonna expect a lot from Sony and they're not gonna rush to deliver, because they're sitting pretty in the lead. This'll eventually tip the balance against them, forcing them to be bold again, and then the PS6 will outsell the XboxTWO-720 Stick Insect (their naming conventions are so hard to predict...) and so on. The cycle will continue, because it's the nature of business.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

redd214

@RogerRoger I agree, if Sony doesn't have a similar process they are going to absolutely roasted in the court of public opinion. Though to be honest it wouldn't dissuade me from getting a PS5 or push me to get an XSeX, the outcry from the Twitter mobs/journos would be deafening.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger @redd214 Yeah I'd be gobsmacked if Sony doesn't offer the same thing. Not entirely sure why they haven't come out and said as much, maybe when they do finally give the PS5 it's full reveal they will show how it works. Maybe they will demo a PS4 game running a PS5 upgrade patch and then list all the games which will have the free upgrade at launch.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

redd214

@BearsEatBeets yeah I'd too be shocked if they didn't at this point. It would cause a Mattrick level of backlash.

redd214

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Very true. I guess it’s why Sony has been more tight-lipped, since they have relative control of this dyad right now so they needn’t be evolutionary nor market for savings plans yet.

Do we have any idea if MS has reported what kind of upgrading the XBSeX will do normally to a OneX game vs. a game needing to have a patch to upgrade the game performance? In other words, if I play my current copy of say, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey on XBSeX, will there be any automatic upgrades to the visuals or performance? Or will they run just like they do on OneX until an actual patch is downloaded? My assumption is that graphical fidelity (polygon counts, textures, draw distance, etc) are going to be unchanged and the only thing we would notice is faster loading times and maybe less screen tear or juddering? Better more stable frame rates? I’m out of my element here with the techno-babble but basically it will run smoother but not look better, is my guess. Then with a possible patch it will be like a full remaster with added ray tracing, graphical sharpness, added textures, less pop-in, better audio, fewer bugs, etc. Like jumping from The Last of Us PS3 to The Last of Us Remastered.

Anyway, I don’t know if anyone has actually said how the games will be changed with a patch vs just playing via backwards compatibility.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic