Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 441 to 460 of 4,712

JJ2

@WebHead
I don't see the point tbh
It's cool if they build a different console, smaller and more convenient so that gives a choice for people who want that. But then that would cost for a different design, manufacture wouldn't it?
If it's exactly the same console as the one with a disc but with a useless empty space in it then it's just lacking the option with a sort of unfinished console.

It may make sense if they do like next gen Xbox with two different consoles though? One of them being less powerful but more affordable?

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

JohnnyShoulder

@JJ2 Yeah I don't see Sony releasing a disc less console straight away or a smaller console either. That usually comes later in the generation when the parts and stuff are cheaper, and technology has advanced a bit.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

I think the reason that MS can and want to do a 'discless' Xbox is more to do with their Game Pass programme. Between that and EA Access, and of course Games with Gold, for a 'small' fee every month, you never need buy another game ever - of course you could through there MS store and thus ensuring they have you locked into their 'ecosystem'. Regardless of how they 'dress' it up, all the 'digital' content, whether its games, movies or TV box sets, you have to buy through MS. If not, you have to subscribe to MS for access to games and subscribe to play games online. Of course you can subscribe to Netflix for movies/TV but most TV's will also give you access to Netflix via smart apps so no need to use your console.

Point is, a discless box may seem like a 'good' idea, but it also locks you in to that ecosystem. If you are happy to do that, then fine - but you can't take advantage of Game, Amazon etc sales and any used games. Talking of used games, anything you do buy is absolutely worthless - not to you but to anyone else so your 100's (if not 1000's) spent on games is worthless - plus the fact that the console will be worthless too if/when its turned off from accessing online - no value to retro gaming to someone else. At least with a disc and physical games, especially if you had updated them, you can play the best and patched versions. The only person who can play on a discless console would be the person who's account is linked to it and who knows if you can once online is turned off.

At the very least, my XB1X can be used as a 4k HDR Bluray player and play ALL my disc games which will ALL have value to anyone else as they can use the console as a 4K Bluray Player and play ALL my Disc based games too - whether the console is online or not.

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@WebHead That I could see, but not for a couple of years after it is launched.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ryall

@WebHead @JohnnyShoulder I think we are likely to see a super slim PS4 without a disk drive before that kind of revision is introduced into the PS5. The disk drive is a far more significant part of the cost of the cheapest console.

Ryall

JohnnyShoulder

@Ryall Or a ps4 pro slim?

Ryall

@JohnnyShoulder I’d rather see them widen the division put a Ultra HD Blu-ray drive in the pro slim and take the drive out of the base super slim entirely. That way you’d have both the cheapest possible product and a more premium product.

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

JohnnyShoulder

@Ryall Would they do that at this stage though and with the PS5 not that far off? MS has been criticised for having too many iterations this gen, I'm not sure Sony would want that kind of negativity before the PS5.

Ryall

@JohnnyShoulder They will probably just stick to making them smaller, cheaper and more energy efficient. But then the PS4 Pro completely took me by surprise. I thought that was a crazy idea when I first heard the rumours.

Ryall

WebHead

Sony did release the PS3 Super Slim a bit over a year before PS4 was released so its not unheard of.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

Ryall

@WebHead It’s an easier task to shrink down your existing product for the new fabrication process than to design a completely new one. I wouldn’t be surprised if PS4 Super Slim did make an appearance before the PS5.

Ryall

JohnnyShoulder

@WebHead @Ryall Yeah not totally out of the question but I don't see them adding anything like a 4k uhd drive to the console. Mind you I said ps5 would not have Ray Tracing, so what do I know lol.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

There is a lot less chance of drastically shrinking the already 'small' PS4 Slim than the PS3 slim. I am not saying it's impossible BUT the Slim is already 'small' (not much smaller than the original PS4) and certain parts cannot be 'slimmed' down any more.

The fact that the disc drive, HDD, PSU and cooling all have to be incorporated in the design - some that cannot be 'shrunk' and even the PCB isn't particularly large with the 8GB RAM and 14nm (or 16nm - I can't remember exactly) APU. Even if they do a 'super-slim' at 7nm, it's not as big a drop as 90nm - 65nm - 45nm (down from 90 - 65 - 40nm for the GPU) than dropping from 16nm to 7nm that any Super Slim would likely drop to. The PS3 Slim not only dropped the size of the CPU/GPU (using 65nm for both), they also cut out the PS2 that was basically built into the Phat as well as reduced the number of ports - that's why there was a 'sizeable' drop down to the Slim and then the Super Slim was able to happen because of another sizeable drop in the CPU/GPU (45/40nm respectively) - also the top loading Bluray helped too.

Its not about whether the PS3 had a 'super slim' or not, its about whether or not Sony could realistically make a 'smaller' PS4 with the available technology. A 7nm process may reduce the size of APU a bit which in turn may reduce the PSU and cooling a bit but its not likely to be a big drop - mm's and you still have to use the same size HDD and Bluray Drive. Cutting that out, making a discless PS4 is the most likely way we could see a 'super slim'.

Maybe in a few years, you could have a PS4 on a small PCB - inc the 8GB RAM - if you see the PCB in a Switch - you can see what maybe possible in a few years. I don't think we are quite there yet. The size is determined by the parts and a Bluray drive and a typical HDD can't be shrunk any further. I guess they could offer a 500GB 'flash' drive which could remove the mechanical HDD and that in turn could reduce the size of the PSU a bit more too as its not needing power to spin the discs. Removing certain parts should enable Sony to make a smaller PS4 - I am sure that they could make one around half the size if they dropped both the bluray player and mechanical HDD. That would also reduce the PSU size as its not powering both of those and, with 7nm, reduce the power to the board and reduce the size of the cooling - again helping to reduce the PSU.

Its possible I guess that Sony could copy MS and bring out a discless PS4 as a 'super slim' - different to MS in that sense as all they did was literally take out the Bluray player and the 'slot' for it - making it cheaper to manufacture because its not a 'radical' change - no need to make new moulds etc.

The other aspect of course is whether or not Sony feel that its worth doing at this stage and whether or not it would be 'financially' worth while. Its not just the component prices, but all the other aspects about a 'redesign', making new moulds, R&D etc. If they drop the Bluray but swap the HDD for a SSD, the costs may not be significantly different and would people buy a discless PS4 Super Slim for the price of a PS4 slim? Its speculation on my part about the prices etc but I can't see Sony bringing out a Super Slim PS4 that's got everything the current PS4 has.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

Not sure how accurate this is and I'm not keen on the whole rumour/leak/speculation angle that seems to be popular these days, but I thought I'd share this with y'all that are.

https://www.t3.com/news/ps5-price-and-release-date-reveal-is-...

Nov 20 release date and $499 launch price so says Sony analyst Hideki Yasuda.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JJ2

@JohnnyShoulder
I feel analysts are frauds these days.. Last year he was predicting 2019 launch unless some shortage move it to March, 2020
https://www.dualshockers.com/ps5-release-2019-ace-securities/

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

KidRyan

Kidfried wrote:

@WebHead It will be annoying that games like TLOU2 and Death Stranding will probably release cross platform. And seeing as I'll be buying a PS5 anyway, I might as well wait until then.

I'll probably hold off of buying new games from this fall until the PS5 drops.

Luckily for me I still have to play Persona 5, God of War, Nier and Sekiro.

This is exactly my plan as well. No sense in buying them on PS4 if they're likely to get PS5 re-releases.

Even if they don't get re-released, the wait will help reduce the cost.

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

Not sure how accurate this is and I'm not keen on the whole rumour/leak/speculation angle that seems to be popular these days, but I thought I'd share this with y'all that are.

https://www.t3.com/news/ps5-price-and-release-date-reveal-is-...

Nov 20 release date and $499 launch price so says Sony analyst Hideki Yasuda.

November release date would be great, but as long as it's out before 2021 I'll be happy.

Mainly because the later it releases, the longer it'll take for the inevitable $200-$250 Black Friday sale four years later after launch.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@KidBoruto Agree with you on the PS exclusives, I'm probs gonna wait until the ps5 is out till I get some of the ones I've yet to play. I'm still undecided whether to do the same with stuff like Spider-Man and Days Gone.
And does this mean the end of remasters? There is no need for them if we can play all our ps4 games on ps5.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic