Forums

Topic: PlayStation 5 --OT--

Posts 101 to 120 of 4,712

BAMozzy

@JJ2 There are several rumours surrounding Xbox and some people putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with various hypotheses regarding their plans- anything from a low, mid and high end Xbox to a traditional and a streaming console - all MS have said is that they want their games to be playable on multiple devices and that 'streaming' is one way of delivering games. That may mean multiple consoles launching at a similar point (like a low and high end, like a streaming and a traditional console) but could mean that they release a 'traditional' console with the 'X' being the low end and a higher spec iterative upgrade after a few years, they could release a tablet (an Xbox Surface?) and/or phone for streaming your games for mobile gaming and we know they already have PC's as an option too to bring Xbox games (inc their Back Catalogue) to MS gamers. I have seen quite a few rumours and speculation that vary too much where as Sony's plan seems a little more straightforward at the moment.

Sony are 'likely' to bring out a successor to their PS4 and its likely to be a 'next gen' console in the traditional sense. Specs are somewhat a rumour - anything from a single APU comprising of a Zen architecture CPU and a Navi based GPU with Sony's own 'secret sauce' built in to a more PC like separate CPU and GPU using the same Zen & Navi specs. Either way, the PS4 and PS4 Pro will be replaced by a PS5 as the lead platform like every other new generation Playstation. Streaming/cloud computing hasn't really been mentioned which could allow Sony to release a handheld device to play your games on the go but as far as the rumours go, Sony seem to be following a traditional path with a 'new gen' console coming to succeed the PS4.

No doubt the next few years will be exciting. Either way, I intend to get both MS's and Sony's new consoles. I don't want to miss out on 'exclusive's' from either and I would prefer that both are 'relatively' equal in game visuals and performance. I don't want to 'favour' one with the other being more of a device for those exclusives. I like having the opportunity to pick which version of games I buy and basing it on other factors that aren't visual or frame rate performance - things like price or bonuses.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JJ2

@BAMozzy
I posted this earlier on case you missed it. There was a link to the full article too.
I'm really not sure what to make of it.
Phil S
'we’re actually designing our next-gen silicon in such a way that it works great for playing games in the cloud, and also works very well for machine learning and other non-entertainment workloads. As a company like Microsoft, we can dual-purpose the silicon that we’re putting in.

We have a consumer use for that silicon, and we have enterprise use for those blades as well. It all in our space around driving down the cost to serve. Your cost to serve is made up by two things, how much was the hardware, and how much time does that hardware monetize.

So if we can monetize that hardware over more cycles in the 24 hours through game streaming and other things that need CPU and GPU in the cloud, we will drive down the cost to serve in our services. So the design as we move forward is done hand-in-hand with the Azure silicon team, and I think that creates a real competitive advantage.”

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

BAMozzy

@JJ2 I did see the interview with Phil when he made that statement. Again that just reinforces the cloud computing aspect and network as it could mean just consoles of varying styles and/or specs, or could mean that the silicon they are designing is to go in more than just their console - such as their Surface range or maybe even their (Nokia) mobiles as its likely to be built on 7nm and should be 'small' and low power enough for these devices too.

Its no secret that MS want to make games that also harness the power of the cloud - Crackdown 3 is supposed to with its MP and all that destruction in that mode is supposed to be boosted by the cloud. The next Xbox could be 'relatively' low specced BUT boosted by the cloud to be as powerful (or more than) a high end PC. Whether that means that the console 'MUST' be online or not, I don't know but I hope that means that if you are online, you get better graphics, better destruction etc - by that I mean that you get more particles (inc destruction particles, dust etc), ray tracing, higher visual settings etc all without impacting on frame rates but more 'console' like settings if you aren't online. Online MP/co-op could obviously be boosted regardless as you need to be online anyway so I was referring more to SP campaigns. I don't know how people would feel if they could only play games if they are always connected to an online service just for 'better' graphics and so I do hope that its an optional boost and without that 'boost' you get more traditional 'console' settings - if that makes sense.

To me that's what I read into that statement. MS can make their devices relatively 'low spec' and thus keep the cost low and use Azure to 'boost' the performance. Locally, the hardware may only be a bit more powerful than an X with a much better CPU but with Azure, be much more powerful than they could build and sell for say $500 - the 'normal' console price.

By building their Silicon to work with Azure, that opens up devices like Surface and Mobiles to stream their games - obviously their digital library - to play even the latest games on the go - all you need is a MS account and an MS device so when you are out, you can play on your Surface and then when you get home, play on your Xbox or PC. Xbox may have 'some' advantages too - such as the added high end bonuses that Azure could offer where as PC may well be 'limited' to the local hardware but obviously, a high end PC can deliver the high end experience anyway.

The likes of a Surface or Mobile would only need to offer HD and maybe 30-60fps so maybe can run games purely in the cloud and the Xbox would need to be 4k so runs partly locally and boosted by cloud to deliver the high-end PC experience without having the price tag or local specs to match.

That's what I read into that. Its possible that MS could also offer a low cost 'streaming' box too - if it works for tablets and mobiles, it can work for this too. It could be 'small' enough to plug into existing laptops for 'on the go' gaming. It could be a USB stick - like Amazon's Firestick - especially if all its doing is connecting to your MS account and enabling you to stream games that are running purely in the cloud. It could be 'cheap' and offer Game-Pass and 'Gold' subscriptions so you have an immediate library of games to play without needing to buy any games at all.

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic as this is more about Sony's upcoming console rather than MS's plans.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

WebHead

So between TLOU 2, GoT and DS if PS5 is march 2020 then 2 of these are probably cross gen launch window games.

WebHead

PSN: JTPrime93

JohnnyShoulder

@WebHead Or Remastered versions of those games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

NecuVise

I hope we get multiplayer for Horizon Zero Dawn 2. HZD has awesome combat and I think something like Gambit from Destiny 2 Forsaken would suit it. I have an itch to play HZD again but after beating it twice and getting 100% achievements for both the base game and its dlc, I'm not so much interested in beating the game again.

NecuVise

WebHead

I wonder how much the controller will change. A switch from micro USB to USB c is likely imo.

WebHead

JohnnyShoulder

@Frigate That's a good idea. With the advancements in technology for that area in the last few years that is probably quite viable.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

WebHead

Would be neat and capacitive fp scaneers are pretty darn cheap. Better battery life must be top priority in terms of the controller though.

WebHead

Ryall

@Frigate I think face ID would make more sense. Put a camera into the controller would help VR tracking. It could also be used to make sure that the account holder is the one making the purchase.

Ryall

JohnnyShoulder

@Ryall As long as it gets rid of the light on the controllers, I'm liking that idea. I suppose the cynic in me thinks that Sony wants you to buy an additional camera. I really do hope VR will still be a separate purchase and not like Kinect and part of the package for PS5.

WebHead

I expect the menu interface to be an evolution of the one in PS4. Obvious changes and improvements but still the same core design language. I reckon sony wants as smooth of a transition as possible.

WebHead

Kidfried

@Frigate The store is slow for sure, but I never had it crash on me!

I still think the the user interface looks really pretty, but some of the things have really frustrated me:

• You shouldn't need to have to wait for synchronization of the trophies.
  • The system settings menu can be categorized way more intuitively. Just look at the long list now, it's like the programmers at Sony just added a new page whenever they thought of something without giving it any thought at all. Application Save Data and System Storage should just be one category: storage. Login settings, Users and Parental should just be one category Users. Video Playback Settings should fall within Sound and Screen. Initizalization, Language and Date and Time should be within System. Anyway, that's all debatable. But it's awful how it is now.
  • You shouldn't have a Video Apps Category. Apps like Netflix should just be among your games.
  • You should be able to tweak your quick menu in the system settings, so its setting don't take up a space in the quick menu itself.
  • The share button shouldn't have a delay.
  • The Store should be within the UI (like trophy), not a separate entity.
  • When you press down in the main menu to look at the details of a game, that shouldn't take seconds ever.
  • If you choose to include a touch pad on your controller... let users scroll through your systems menu's with it.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried some good suggestions there kiddo!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

WebHead

Man sony sure is keeping a tight lid on this one eh?

WebHead

Octane

@WebHead Well, it's still at least a year away, if not more. No reason to talk about it right now. I wished they focused a bit more on their upcoming games though.

Octane

WebHead

@Frigate reminds of last year when Jez Corden from windows central said that sony is working on big psn upgrades especially cloud. Also for Dualshock 5 better battery life and USB c are a must.

WebHead

JohnnyShoulder

I think there is less speculation and rumour this time round compared to at the same stage last gen. Feels that way for me anyway.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic