Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 2,561 to 2,580 of 4,199

LazyNinja

@Tasuki my latest purchase was Red Dead Redemtion 2 such a awesome game šŸ˜„

I'm a new game streamer, you''ll find me in Youtube ATM be sure subscribe on my channel šŸ™‚ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc5SHhV3tDyA6a4fC935vgQ

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @nessisonett @Ralizah Thanks for the thoughts, all, particularly representing a healthy balance of caution and praise. Certainly keeps my expectations in check.

I have zero history with Final Fantasy, except being vaguely aware of surface-level details in passing and once playing a Final Fantasy VIII demo disc (some kind of beach landing, a trip to a radio tower and a fight with a giant mechanical bug-spider thing... from what I recall, it was fun). I'd always thought I'd just play the remake, and skip any potential ageism on my part, but I've been hearing that it isn't 100% faithful to the original; I'd hate to claim to know one of the most important games of all time after having viewed it through a broken mirror. When I saw it in the sale, it just made sense.

It's still gonna be a tough sell. From what I gather, there's no voice acting, meaning I'll have to read (already losing major points with me there, alas) but, given its importance, I want to understand it. With any luck, that historical curiosity will carry me through.

As for DOOM 3, I've always been curious about it, but its horror reputation put me off. After recently managing to complete the eerie DOOM 64, however, I looked up some footage of the PS4 port. It has not aged well, at all. None of the "scary" moments I saw were scary; in fact, I found them quite charming, in a nostalgic PS2-era sort of way. Providing I play it during the day, without headphones, I should be fine!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

I recall @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy saying she didn't get on well with it when she tried to play it for the first time in the last few years.

You remember well @Ralizah! I wasn't actually going to mention it cus I thought I'd already said it enough on here lol šŸ˜‚

It was around 2012/2013 I went through FFVII @RogerRoger so my thoughts on it are honestly rather hazy baring the general sentiment already quoted by Ral that I wasn't enamoured with it in the slightest.

Maybe that was partially to the hype and mountains of praise surrounding it and it couldn't live up to it? I couldn't honestly tell you how many factors were at play concerning my negative thoughts about it but I didn't enjoy it much at all.

I really should try and give the original a second chance at some point... Maybe with more thoroughly grounded expectations I'd appreciate it more.

I did enjoy the demo for the remake a bunch more though!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Okay, so that's one "loathing", one "adoration" and two "well, it's important, but tread lightly nowadays" so yeah, I'm feeling nicely balanced right now!

In all seriousness, thanks for your thoughts. I feel like it's the kinda thing I'm just gonna have to experience for myself. Kinda like how I gave the original Resi a shot recently; I didn't think I'd like it, was surprised by how much I enjoyed its first half, then had my fears reinforced by its second. At least now I know for certain. If the same happens with FFVII, then so be it!

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger It will be fascinating to hear about your impressions of FF7 through fresh eyes. If you really get into then youā€™ll have a whole lineage of retro FF to fill your time with. FF8 and FF9 being the closest iterations of the old style of turn-based gameplay and retro graphical ā€œcharmā€. FF10 seemed to be one of the larger evolutionary jumps with more modernized world map; and the much maligned FF13 where it really became quite different due to the increased linearity. FF12 is its own animal, and actually one of my favorites, with the unique customizable gambit system where you can basically spend a little time ā€˜programmingā€™ your party actions and the battles basically play themselves for you. And of course FF15, where yours truly has stumbled and is the first mainline game I have yet to experience. ...Well, that and the FF13 ā€˜trilogyā€™ where the last game ā€˜Lightning Returnsā€™ just never made it into my library.
You may have opened up a can of worms when you do get a chance to play your recent purchase, whenever that may be since I know you have your share of backlog like I do. šŸ˜„

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yep, my backlog is seventy-four games and counting now. Yours?

I've already promised myself, no matter what, that I'd limit any potential "OMG I love Final Fantasy now!" spending spree. I read reviews of them all, back in the day, and have a friend who's hooked on the series. I reckon I'd wanna check out IX and X and then maybe XV, depending.

Heard good things about Lightning Returns as well, so I hope you can play and enjoy that (and XV, too) at some point. Much respect for playing all the rest!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

You're very welcome @RogerRoger šŸ˜

I do hope you enjoy FFVII but if you don't... We can be grumpy about it together at least? šŸ˜‚

I've played a number of the others in the franchise (I, III (DS remake), VI (DS remake), VIII (Only to the 2nd disc though), X, X-2, XII, XIII & XIII-2) and I will say they're all fairly different beasts so as you already put regardless of your eventual feelings for VII I'd reccomend at least trying one or two of the others...

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That III remake was the first FF game I played when I was about 6 years old and it absolutely wrecked me. Itā€™s honestly one of the most brutal RPGs Iā€™ve played and really did turn me off the series until I played VII for the first time a couple of years later. Gutsco/Salamander still gives me nightmares šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

The 3D remake of FFIV on NDS is pretty famously challenging as well.

But yeah, the games are often wildly different experiences, and there's no real consensus on which ones are actually the best. Public opinion just tends to shift over the years. For the longest time, FFVII was considered to be the greatest game ever made on the internet. Now it's considered overrated by a lot of people, and FFIX is celebrated. In another decade, that'll probably shift again.

For the record, I've played I (part of original and remake), III (remake), IV (remake and original), VI, VII (original and remake), the first disc of IX, X, XII (remake and original), and part of XIII.

Couldn't get on with the original version of I (too old, imo), IX, or XIII at all, unfortunately. Although I do intend to give XIII another shot soon. It has been almost a decade. Time to let the grudge go and re-evaluate.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The VII and IX thing is pretty similar to the whole Ocarina of Time and Majoraā€™s Mask deal. I donā€™t really get the overrated argument, itā€™s basically just admitting that it was critically well received but for whatever reason, thatā€™s ā€˜wrongā€™. I personally think FF7 has aged like a fine wine, even with the bad graphics and I actually think itā€™s aged better than VIII and IX. The frame rate in IXā€™s battles and world map really does my head in at times.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett It's just how things go. The swing of the pendulum of public opinion is merciless.

VII's dark cyberpunk aesthetic early on, imminently customizable materia system, and complex writing more broadly put it head and shoulders above most games in the series for me. It's the Xenogears of the FF series, and that's not at all a bad thing.

FFIX should be a good looking PS1 game (it's pretty funny comparing the clean, detailed models of that game to the nightmare-inducing lego people of VII), but the horrible character designs and muddy overworld (seriously, I felt like Akira Yamaoka music should've started playing whenever I went to the map) really brought it down. Good example of art design undercutting technical excellence.

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I would like to try Lightning Returns. XIII-2 was actually okay, but I never completed it and donā€™t think Iā€™ll go back unless, hereā€™s an idea Square-Enix, they release a trilogy pack for PS4 like Ubisoft did with the Ezio AC games, or Rocksteady/WB did for the Batman games with Return to Arkham, or 2K did with the BioShock Collection, etc, etc.

But yes, my backlog is large, but I think last I checked it was about 50, but Iā€™ve made a little progress since then. Iā€™ve been good about not buying many games. Actually havenā€™t bought any in 2020 and have only had them added via PS plus. I think Iā€™m at a backlog of about 40, Iā€™d venture.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Thrillho

Iā€™ve only played FF6-8 (and remake) as new mechanics always scare me and make me worry I wonā€™t like the game. But Remake is so different to the old games who knows.

I was really intrigued by 15 but once they announced there was going to be loads of DLC I got out off getting the unfinished product.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Aww... now I wanna hate it, just so that you're not lonely!

Thanks for the urging to try other flavours of Final Fantasy. Since JRPGs aren't my first love, it's taken me a while to get around to them, but I'm keen to get a decent picture of the genre. I'll be sure not to judge them all by my instant "yay" or "nay" for Cloud's adventure.

@Th3solution Given how long these chunks of FFVII Remake are taking to produce, some kind of remastered trilogy to pass the time between releases wouldn't be the biggest surprise. Retro always sells; that being said, we seem firmly entrenched in the PSone's turn at that particular adage, and we're about to move beyond the PS3 being the previous generation, so those specific games might be stuck in limbo for a little while. Fingers still crossed for you, though.

Congratulations on your backlog progress, by the way! Slow and steady and all that.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @RogerRoger My backlog is currently around the 70 mark. I don't remember what is was before, but I kinda not letting get to me so much and just play what I feel like more, rather than worrying about what games I need cross of from my backlog.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

I read that comment of yours about three times @nessisonett til I remembered you're a decent bit younger then most of us on here... I feel old now šŸ˜‚

I found III fairly easy to be honest. I did retry Gutsco once or twice but can't say I ever struggled with it at any point... Though I found the DS remake of IV way tougher in comparison!

Turn based games were never my first love either @RogerRoger... I remember being that fresh faced teen whom finally got into gaming with her PS1... Wandering what the hell was fun about those games that made you wait around and just click an option from a menu (and why that bloke on the motorbike with the big sword had such silly hair)

... Ahh the naivety of youth šŸ˜‚

Ralizah

Admittedly, SMT's press turn combat and Bravely Default's brave and default system have largely damaged my ability to appreciate traditional turn-based combat systems in older Square-Enix games. It's hard to go back to turn-based games without deep, strategic layers to the combat.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, zero backlog anxiety here, for sure. I like to have a rough idea of what I want to play next, but I'm not beating myself up for any random deviations (like adding an ancient JRPG and a maligned horror-shooter to the list, for example). It's the best way to be!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy If I recall, my reaction to the FFVIII demo I played was "pretty cutscenes, good music, total lack of lightsabers and gadget-laden Aston Martins... yeah, I'm out" so I understand!

Kids can be so stupid sometimes.

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

I took advantage of the sale and payday to pick up a few games on my wishlist - namely Terminator: Resistance, Salt and Sanctuary and Wolfenstein: Cyber Pilot as I wanted some more VR action! Also bought vouchers from ShopTo so technically paid less again. NOICE.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic