Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 4,206

carlos82

Just picked up the Ghostbusters remaster, a remaster in the most basic terms of a resolution and framerate increase. Still though I've been having a lot of fun with it and the higher framerate helps with that and it's a nice throwback to my childhood, now back to taking down the Marshmallow man

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Nicely done! Here's hoping it lives up to the hype for you.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I voted in the Golden Joysticks Awards earlier (only to get the free Kojima E-magazine) and then realised I've only played one game from this year!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

carlos82

@KratosMD this year hasn't been great after an amazing couple of years, my only day one games have been Resident Evil 2 and the soon to be Outer Worlds and that's largely based upon loving the original and the early Fallout games. I was looking forward to Doom Eternal but that's vanished for now, the only other game I have pre ordered is Star Wars, largely due to my son wanting it and the fact I managed to get the deluxe version for £40 on CD keys

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

KALofKRYPTON

Finally caved on the Space Hulk bundle that was on sale. Got Deathwing and Space Hulk Tactics for £12.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD It was Sekiro I bought earlier, and I have no regrets as it was awesome! I will probably buy Resi Evil 2 next for Halloween, but that will probably be it from this year.
I try not fall into the trap of clamouring for new releases, I did that a few years back and ended up hating the games I bought lol.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thrillho

The Division 2 is the only release from this year I’ve played.

I’d like to pick up Borderlands but I’m more than happy to wait for most releases now. I’d consider getting Death Stranding soon after release just to try and avoid it being spoilt for me.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Arugula If you were tempted at sixty bucks, surely it's worth the risk at twelve? I'd say it is.

@KratosMD @JohnnyShoulder @carlos82 @Thrillho Same boat, folks. I've only gotten one game at launch this year, which was Team Sonic Racing. I also have Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order pre-ordered, but it's been incredibly quiet compared to the previous two years.

Next year has the potential to be huge, however, so I wouldn't worry too much!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Too be fair, I was much the same last year, I did not buy a great deal on day 1 and not a single game in the last 3 months of the year.

Sure it's a nice feeling to get a game when it is released and to support the franchises you like. But the feeling to need to do that has lessened for me over the last few couple of years. And it's not even all to do with money, I can afford to buy most titles I'm interested in at launch I just chose not to.

Older = Wiser = Grumpier

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yep, I agree with everything you've said there (well, except the part where by agreeing with you, I'd inadvertently call you grumpy).

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Partially motivated by the recent article about some of the games Sony has sent out to fail, I decided I wanted to buy Concrete Genie. Even though I’m not sure it will get played right away given my backlog, it sounded like the kind of game I want to support — it looks unique, artistic, and was released at a lower price point. As much as I complain about these publishers putting out the same recycled military shooters and annual sports franchises year after year for $60, I felt I would be disingenuous to not support this critically acclaimed little game for $30. So I decided to put my money where my mouth is.

I prefer a physical copy, so I went to the first GameStop and they were sold out. Then I went to the second one and they had only one copy left — so I snagged it. I asked the employee if they had sold a lot of them and he said he didn’t know but he thought that they just didn’t get very many copies.
Even though it may not get played right away, I’m pretty glad I was able to find a physical copy now, since apparently they will probably be kind of rare, it seems. And actually, I think I’ll go ahead and put it at the top of the list to be played, since it looks fascinating.

I didn’t realize until after I bought it that it’s rated “E” for everyone. Besides Tetris Effect, I don’t think I’ve actually bought any other “E” rated games, not counting PS Plus freebies. So it got me thinking — I wonder if “E” rated games are like “PG” and “G” rated movies in that they are prone to fail commercially because the public doesn’t take them seriously, perhaps thinking they are just for kids. I heard once that movie directors will put in a F-bomb or lewd joke just to make a movie PG-13 and to keep it from being PG which is evidently the kiss of death at the box office. So I wonder if the same applies to games. That having a game “T” or “M” automatically gives the game a few extra thousand sales.

Edit: Actually... nevermind. I guess one look at the NPD sales figures would have corrected my stupidity. All those annual sports games that make mint are rated “E”. Not to mention I think Minecraft is “E”. A lot of Nintendo properties are “E” also, like the Mario games. Also most racers are “E”. So, plenty of “E” rated games are raking in tons of cash, so CG can’t blame their underperformance on that.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Looks like you've had too many E-Numbers in your diet recently. I now have the letter E permanently branded in my retina. Today's forum is brought to by the letter E.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol, did I mention my favorite letter is E? 😜

My ramblings probably don’t even make sense to most everyone out there where they use PEGI anyways, so that makes it sound even more delusional.

It’s been a long week.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Plenty of popular games are rated E, but look at the types of games you're listing there; sports (which has a built-in, non-gamer audience), kid-friendly streaming games and kart racers. They're pitching at specific audiences with long legacies, or captive audiences who have no choice but to play them.

So I actually think you're on to something there; a game like Concrete Genie, something caught between a couple genres trying to engage with a broader audience, could be and likely is falling victim to the issue you raise.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Thrillho 😂 Now I’ll be singing that song all day. Thanks a lot. 🎶Letter of the day-ay-ay... Clap, clap 🎶

@RogerRoger I do wonder if a Concrete Genie was a Switch exclusive if it would be getting more attention. As you say, maybe a more captive target audience would have elevated its overall public perception. When I went to the store to buy it both times, I asked the employee if they had a copy and they both immediately had a quizzical look and then asked, “For which system do you want it?” followed by a pregnant pause where I held my tongue and gave them time to consider the question and then eventually a — “Oh yeah, it’s a PlayStation exclusive.”
And so as not to come across as a fanboy, I’m sure there are also Switch exclusives that get ignored by the core Switch player base because they are too mature or dark. I’m hard pressed to think of an “M” rated game exclusive on Switch that has achieved public popularity other than Bayonetta 2. Even multiplatform games like Dark Souls have significantly higher sales on PS4 (of course I’m not sure if we calculate the attach rate if it would come out as lopsided per console).

I know I’m stating a belabored point, but I am nervous that eventually the smaller and indie studios will flee from PlayStation if their games don’t sell well on the console, and I’m sure Switch owners feel the same about games like Dark Souls and Witcher 3, hoping they do well enough to keep the mature games coming to the console.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution You're not coming across as a fanboy at all; whilst it's tempting to dismiss "the Switch only has X type of games on it" comments as such, it's actually kinda true more often than not. Which is absolutely fine, by the way. Each console needs to build its own eco-system to survive against the competition, and it's why Nintendo have always remained a consistent option whilst either Sony or Microsoft have "won" a console generation, because theirs is unique to them. PS3 struggled because Xbox360 was so good, and now XboxONE isn't doing so well because everybody's got a PS4... why? Because they've basically got the same games on them. Even their exclusives are quite often similar or comparable, whereas neither of them really have a Mario or a Link (Aloy's the only one who comes close to the latter, and it's taken her four PlayStations to show up).

Most folks this console generation seem to have a Switch in addition to their PS4 or XboxONE because that way, they can access both markets. It's nice that Sony want to support a wider variety of content on PS4, which they obviously do because things like Concrete Genie get made in the first place, but if certain types of games are happier on other consoles then I'm sure they'll eventually find a way over. In the meantime, as long as Sony continue to strive towards a "something for everyone" approach, we still get the option and that's pretty cool, too.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Resident Evil 2 REmake. The evenings are starting to get darker and I wanted a horror game in the build up to Haloween. Not that I getting really into it or anything (the days going out to to a party or a nightclub in fancy dress are long gone), but I've got a few games I've been putting off playing and feels riht to start playing them now.

RogerRoger

Limited Run Games might've delayed my previous orders with them, to the point where my faith in their business model is starting to falter, but they know exactly how to reel me back in, it seems. This past Friday, they opened pre-orders for the next two Star Wars games in their LucasArts back-catalogue and I managed to snag a Premium Edition of Star Wars: Racer Revenge on PS4.

So that's now three they owe me.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic