Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 4,199

Kidfried

My latest purchase is Song of the Deep, the Metroidvania submarine game by Insomniac.

It must be difficult to make a compelling indie game these days. I want to like it alot, but the gameplay just isn't fast enough, and the children's book art style is hardly refreshing anymore.

I will probably finish it somewhere down the line, playing it when I don't want to play my other games for a minute.

Kidfried

ApostateMage

Just bought Elder Scrolls Online for a bargain £3.95 from smelly CEX. If it's naff, I won't be too fussed.

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

I wrote a while back that I had a bunch of vouchers to use in CEX, and that got me thinking that I really should use em.

So as I was up a random o'clock this morning, I decided to pop into CEX. I've been browsing the online site for a few weeks, so kinda had an idea what I wanted. A couple of the games I wanted just don't want to be in stock in my local store, so I will save those for another time.

I ended getting Batman Arkham Knight, Wolfenstein 2 and Southpark The Fractured But Whole. And I still have about 40 quid of vouchers left. 😂

I liked the previous Batman (not played Origins) and Wolfenstein games so will probably play those soonish. Not played the previous Southpark game though, do I lose anything from not playing it? I'm in no rush to play it, and goodness knows when I'll get round to play it and could always pick up the first game.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder Wolfenstein 2 is good fun as I like the odd mix of a gritty yet ludicrous storyline but it feels like the second part of a trilogy with a lot of plot lines left hanging. I'd also advise holding off the side mission stuff until the end as I did them as soon as possible and the main story ended up losing its momentum as a consequence.

I really liked South Park: FBW too. I seem to remember that it carried on straight from the first game but with little to no overlap or particular continuation of the story. I only played Stick of Truth because I got FBW at release and it came with a download for the game. FBW is the superior game though as the combat is massively improved. I also liked the superhero theme better than the fantasy one.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho Cheers for heads up man! 👍

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@Frigate Do it. Seriously. What's the worst they can say?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

andreoni79

@KratosMD I didn't know about a "Nostromo edition" of Alien Isolation. I got the "Ripley Edition" that came with 2 dlc, short adaptation of two main scenes of the 1979 movie.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@Frigate At least you can send them an email now!

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Hopefully you have bought just as many pairs of pants as well!

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD RE7 is probably the scariest one I've played, but I've not played them all. I think a lot of that has to do with the first person perspective.

Tasuki

@KratosMD Alot of people find the older NES Mega Man games hard. It's funny cause I don't and it's hard for me to understand why people find them hard. Yeah if you don't know the order to take on the Robot Masters it can be but once you find the right order.

Then again I grew up playing the Mega Man games on the NES. Heck I still remember getting Mega Man 2 and 3 for my 12th birthday. I don't know maybe it's a generational thing like when a person started playing games or not but it also confused me when people say they are hard.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Have you looked at The Forest? Not played it but is supposed to be quite good.

andreoni79

I used the extra discount to buy two games that are far from perfection but still interesting to me: Everspace and Lords of the Fallen for a total of € 7,50.
@KratosMD The Forest is very creepy: the only downside of the game for me is its technical hiccups, otherwise it has a great atmosphere and different difficulty levels and gameplay options that can make it both a frustrating hard survival or an easy but still frightening exploration horror.

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Th3solution

I was really trying hard not to buy any games but I had a ‘buy 2 get 1 free’ coupon that was expiring next month, so I got Valkyria Chronicles 4 (finally! @Ralizah), Plague Tale: Innocence, and Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition. With some trade in credit I had plus the coupon, all three games cost me a little over $40 — That’s like about $14 a piece. I couldn’t pass that up. The wild card is DOS2 — I have never played an isometric RPG like that, so I’m not sure how if I’ll like it. I had also been trying to avoid super-long games which take more than 80 hrs due to having a sizable backlog and all. But I figured at the price, I would take a chance. It also seems to be a little hard to find lately, so I went for it. Of these I’ll probably not get to them anytime soon, but I think VC4 will be toward the top of the backlog.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution Nice! Be sure to post your impressions when you get to it. I forget: have you played the first game? VC4 is very accessible either way. I got one of my friends into it as his first Valkyria game, and he spent a good 100+ hours doing everything.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ooooh nice @Th3solution ! I'll be looking forward to haering your on both Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Never played one) and Divinity Original Sin 2 (seeing as you told me about it two weeks ago)!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Ralizah Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the first Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 (I haven’t played the remaster on PS4. I assume they didn’t really add anything and the visual and art style is such that I doubt there’s a huge graphical upgrade from the original). I liked it so much I also played Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP, which was decent enough but somehow lacked the luster of the original. Of course we didn’t get VC3 in the West, and I avoided Valkyria Revolution at all costs, so I’m excited about VC4 and the fact it’s a return to form for the series. For sure I’ll be posting when I get to it. Which hopefully will be sooner rather than later. This week is busy, we’ll see.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, I’ve had my eye on DOS2 for a while. The game has a remarkable critical reception. According to Wikipedia it was only GameSpot’s 11th perfect 10/10 score. I have held off because I wanted to see a price drop, and now we have that. Also the sheer length is scary to me. It’ll be relegated to the backlog but I’ll let you know when I get to it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Frigate Yeah, it’s strange that DOS and DOS2 are somewhat divisive regarding which is the better game experience. @kyleforrester is a big fan of the first but didn’t like DOS2. Most people online and reviewers have said the second game is better in nearly every way. One of main differences I’ve read has to do with the quality of the writing. I think both games have a fair degree of levity, but the first game has more of the humor I think. I read that the second game can be played on its own without knowledge or experience from the former, so I went with the consensus that seems to suggest DOS2 is better. What kept you from getting into it? Was it the story or was it the gameplay or technical performance?

Th3solution

@Frigate Ok, I got you. I’m pretty similar in my gameplay approach. The cream usually rises to the top eventually with whatever group of games I’m playing.

JohnnyShoulder

@Frigate Same here with how I play games, although I wouldn't say it is rare for me to zone in on one game, it sometimes just takes me a bit longer to get into it.

I played the first DOS briefly but iirc had just finished a long game so wasn't quite ready to get into it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic