Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 1,841 to 1,860 of 4,199

Th3solution

@Ralizah At your recommendation, I descended into the 9th Circle of Hell (GameStop) and got a new copy of Tetris Effect for $20. It was worth slogging through the muck. For a game that is just a month or so old, a 50% price cut seemed too good a deal. I don’t see it dropping lower than that for a while. It will be relegated to the backlog, but due to its quick access for short play sessions, it will probably get in the rotation before a lot of other games. My backlog games that are short are getting played much sooner than those that are long. .... I guess it’s the same concept of why I can’t bring myself to start a long TV series like Doctor Who or Supernatural, but I’ll spend hours watching 2 minute videos on YouTube or rewatch a movie I’ve seen 10 times — lately my brain can’t fathom tackling too many long epics that have no end in sight.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution Good snag. I'm a little annoyed I paid $30 for it, only for it to go on sale for even less a day or two later, but... eh. I'm just hoping it's still really neat without the VR.

Personally, I don't mind starting long things so long as I can back out of them quickly. No issues whatsoever starting sound thousand episode TV show, because it's composed of 30 - 60 minute segments. But some three or four hour movie? Almost never willing to do that. A movie is a single viewing thing, so it's effectively holding you hostage for the entire length in one go. I'm not saying that's never worthwhile, but if I'm going to be doing the same thing for that long, it had better be INCREDIBLE.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah @Th3solution I don't think I'm ever going to buy a game on day one this time of year.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, it’s crazy this time of year with the holiday sales. If it’s anywhere near Christmas time, it’s worth waiting for the inevitable deal.

I know they are talking about game prices going up next gen, but I’m not sure the market will support much of a price hike. It seems like prices drop during sales, but also the base price for a lot of games drops rather quickly.
In fact I heard on Colin’s podcast how GameStop published large financial losses, mainly due to a drop in preowned game sales. A lot of this is due to the growth of digital, but the prices for new physical games gets pretty competitive within a few months, such that the price for a new copy is not that much more than the price to buy it preowned. Heck, actually sometimes the used copy costs more than the new copy. I was looking at Kingdom Come Deliverance and the base price (not a sale price) for a new copy is now $20. GameStop is still selling their preowned copies for $32. That’s just plain ridiculous. I was looking at Dark Souls 3: Fire Fades Ed. and new and used are basically the same price — about $20. It seems like price drops and deep sales are more prominent the last year or two. It’s definitely worth it to do your homework sometimes before buying.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder Seeing how drastically and quickly the prices drop on Sony games, the only ones I pick up at launch anymore are games published by Nintendo. Unless I'm just unbelievably excited for them. I knew Valkyria Chronicles 4 wouldn't stay full price for long, but I really wanted to be there on day one, and I probably got a good 65 hours out of the game, even before mopping up the post-game content, so I'm satisfied.

Persona 6, SMT V, any new Etrian games, and Ys IX will be day one purchases, too.

Everything else, I wait for.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Well Gamestop have only themselves to blame for setting such dumb prices. I've got about £60 in CEX credit, I can't remember the last time I went in and got a game from their. That is due to having enough games in my backlog and buying more digital games in the sales.

@Ralizah The amount of games I generally buy on day one has decreased over the years. This year has been God of War, Dead Cells and PES 2019, and even then I've not paid over £35 for any of them. Next year Sekrio, but not much else tbh. I just don't feel the urge to buy anything day one any more. I think the amount of games in my backlog has lot to do with that.

Edited on by Tasuki

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Simon_Fitzgerald

I recently picked up Reverie, it was definitely an overlooked Indie title this year. It plays similar to the older Zelda titles and is well worth picking up for it's cheap price.

Simon_Fitzgerald

PSN: ScarySim6 | Twitter:

Elodin

Just picked up God of War. After waiting for Nier or Kingdomcome Deliverance to show up in a sale I bit the bullet and bought God of War, hoping the next sale won't include those other games. I don't think I will be disappointed though with the Game of the Year.

Elodin

Bonbonetti

Jurassic World Evolution from the January sale. It is really fun so far, it has the right level of complexity for me, however it will probably get more difficult later on. It has so many cool features and gameplay elements, like being able to drive around among your dinosaurs, taking pictures.

Assetto Corsa from the same sale. I had it on disc before, but gave it to a friend since I wanted the digital complete edition instead. It's been on sale quite regularly so I expected it to appear once again. Obviously I think it's a good game, I tried it on my PC a couple of years ago but didn't really take to it. I gave it a second chance some time later and really enjoyed it. The physics stands out as something new and unique compared to both GT Sport and Project Cars 2, and being different is a good thing when it comes to racing games.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD Type-0 is awesome although it takes some getting used too

also it encourages multiple playthroughs

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

themcnoisy

Ps4 Christmas stuffs so far;

Astrobot
Red dead Redemption
Warriors All Stars (5/10 pushsquare eeeek)
Gold headset

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD I can't remember actually, I only played it once myself.. I really enjoyed it but didn't feel like I had to start playing it again immediately like Nier.

As for Nier, the play throughs are significantly different to not be considered playthroughs in my opinion. It's really 3 chapters, or scenarios. The first 2 remind me a lot of Resi 2s Leon/Claire scenarios actually.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD it's hard to explain without spoiling it but a second playthrough is needed because it adds more to the story and even shows the true reason for all the events of the game

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD Anyway Merry Christmas and i hope you enjoy the game

Ralizah

Ugh. I've owned Type-0 HD since launch and still have yet to boot it up. My biggest shame as a gamer, by far.

Edited on by Ralizah

Jaz007

My Christmas haul was PSVR, Moss, and a $30 Gamestop gift card. I’m probbaly gonna use the gift card to pick up wipeout Omega Collection for PSVR.

Jaz007

Gamer83

This was the biggest video game related Christmas I've had since I was a kid...
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Fallout 76
Two Gamestop giftcards I used to get the season pass for ACO

Gamer83

RR529

Got a $25 Amazon card for Christmas, which I used to buy a $25 PSN code, which I used for God of War in the sale.

That'll probably be it for gaming related gifts, but I've already stocked up thanks to the sales, so I'll be good for awhile anyways.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

SuperJoon

Just bought Diablo 3 on PS4. Love this game, have it on my Switch for on the Go aswell

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

PSN: superjoon84 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic