Forums

Topic: Your Latest PS4 Purchase

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 4,206

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Looking forward to your report, sir.

Maybe as a smaller update, the Enterprise-A would be decent, and it certainly had clearer displays (heck, since they re-used the TNG sets, most of The Final Frontier already had LCARS all over the place). Or they could be brave and tell an original story for the Enterprise-B, since that's the flagship we know the least about (beyond Tuesday, of course).

You've also now made me want Jolly Ranchers. I hope they're still made!

@FullbringIchigo You make an excellent point about how massive the Discovery bridge is, and how much dead space there is between stations. My feeling would be that they'd include whatever the reimagined USS Enterprise bridge is gonna look like from the Season Two opening episodes, because it's gonna bridge the gap (pun semi-intended) and be familiar enough for casual fans to recognise it.

My primary concern is that TNG have already used the Borg alongside the Romulans as new content. With each bridge, they'll want to add show-specific challenges and alien adversaries; for DS9 (Cardassians or Jem'Hadar) and ENT (Suliban or Xindi) this would be easy, but for Voyager we're now left with, what... the Kazon? I'll defend that show to the hilt, and thought the Kazon were great, but I recognise that I'm in a minority. Maybe the Hirogen could provide a nice hide-and-seek set of hunting missions, but that's about it.

Still waiting for my authentic NX-Class bridge in Star Trek Online. Part of me not getting Bridge Crew yet is because I can wander around the Enterprise-D and Voyager already. Despite saying a Voyager DLC pack would push me over the edge, an NX-Class pack would probably do the same.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger for Voyager what about Species 8472, the Vaadwaur or some we never saw but know of like the Krowtonan Guard that Captain Ransom of the Equinox said his crew encountered

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Species 8472? Hirogen would suit the way the game is set up, and would certainly be a relatively easy implementation for the current Borg patrol mission structure (basically warp away until you can fight them).
I actually really liked the early Kazon stuff. As with almost every villain in Star Trek though, they were nerfed pretty quickly.

There is a lot of merit to having a tighter bridge in the game. I know TNG was supposed to look grandiose and almost decadent. But the smaller refit, A, B, C, E and Defiant style bridge suits the game and makes a lot more operational sense.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON i think it's pretty obvious that Discovery's Bridge was designed for cinematic shots first and foremost and to be fair it does work for that but 's not very practical if the helm officer is so far away you have to shout for them to hear you

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @KALofKRYPTON Hmm. Good call on 8472, but I never felt like they stood alone enough as villains. Every time they appeared, they were in service of another race's storyline (the Borg, the Hirogen) and the one time they appeared alone, peace was brokered inside of 45 minutes. Not only that, but they basically have one ship design and are ridiculously overpowered; two things that wouldn't translate well into "lone ship encounters and fends off multiple attackers" gameplay.

I agree that the Vaadwaur could be elaborated upon; I've always wished for a sequel to "Dragon's Teeth", as was teased at the end. They could even get Robert Knepper back for a cameo, now that he's a slightly bigger name.

From what I've seen of Bridge Crew, the Defiant's bridge would work really, really well. Voyager's bridge always felt built for widescreen, despite the show being presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Given the tiered design, there may be a little bit of neck pain if you're at the helm or in command, constantly looking back to tactical and ops!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger the Vaadwaur were quite a big story in Star Trek Online though

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Oh yeah - gritty BAFTA version of the Kelvinverse bridge style.

@RogerRoger 8472 were introduced as too powerful an adversary to keep around. They needed to either go away or get nerfed like everyone else.

Always disliked the Vaadwaur. Sat squarely in poorly imagined 'bad guys of the week' territory.

How about the Krenim?

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON at least the way the Kelvinverse stuff was designed made sense, they were films after all (no to mention CBS said paramount had to make it visually different from the show) but why Discovery did it in a similar and darker style is beyond me

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo As you said. Cinematic shots and the like.

And a lot of the unspoken body language on the show probably wouldn't really work were the characters not so far apart and obscured from each others' view on the bridge.

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Were they? See, even as a mega-fan, I wasn't aware / couldn't recall the details of that. Bridge Crew seems to be aiming for the more casual fan, at least from what I've seen, with enough authenticity to please the die-hards like us.

@KALofKRYPTON The Krenim could work. Could have some nifty temporal effects to make them unique, and if you didn't stop the temporal incursions, your adversaries could become stronger, just like in the show. There's gameplay potential in there; just depends if Bridge Crew is flexible enough to realise it.

All of this is moot unless they're willing to use the music from the shows whilst you play. So many times Star Trek games have come so very close to capturing the feel and spirit of everything, but then plays some synthetic-orchestra-rendered nonsense over the top and ruins it all. It ain't Star Trek without Dennis McCarthy, Jay Chattaway, David Bell and Jerry Goldsmith.

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

I ordered Killzone: Shadow Fall and Ratchet & Clank in time, just before the ugly PlayStation Hits come out!

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Nicely done! I hope you enjoy Killzone: Shadow Fall as much as I did. It's got a real strong campaign.

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger Yeah, it's one of those ''I'll get around to them eventually'' games, it's been on my wish list for quite a few years!

Octane

Gremio108

Fez for £1.69, couldn't turn that down. I've been meaning to play that game for years, can't wait to get stuck in.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Octane

@Gremio108 Neat! I liked it quite a lot! There's a lot of depth to be found if you're willing to take the jump.

Octane

Gremio108

@Octane Yeah, I played the demo a while back and it seemed like my sort of thing. I'm playing God of War at the moment and Dark Souls Remastered next, so it'll be good to have something a bit lighter on the side for when it's all getting a bit too much!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

stinkyx

Just got Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 and that Kingdom Hearts 2.8 game for PS4 to play through with my wife (she's a fan, I've never really played these games)...that's like, what, 160+ hours of games to finish before KH3 releases in January?

I'm gonna do easiest difficulty and have a guide nearby to try and blast through these things, but...my money's on we get halfway through one game before January, and then I end up watching the "movie" versions on my own on YouTube to catch up!

Make it a great day!

PSN: tearatherflesh

kyleforrester87

@smelly_jr Yeah good luck playing the games and completing them all and having any kind of understanding about what the hells going on It's like Metal Gear Solid, you need to keep reading wikipedia enteries to retain the information, it's all over the place.

Good games though.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

stinkyx

@kyleforrester87 Haha...thanks! Hopefully it'll be interesting enough (like MGS) that I'll actually want to keep close track of the story and look deeper into the lore. Mostly, tho, I hope they can explain why Donald Duck doesn't wear pants and why Goofy gets to be humanoid but Pluto is just regular ol' dog, lol

Make it a great day!

PSN: tearatherflesh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic