Forums

Topic: Yakuza 0

Posts 81 to 89 of 89

Th3solution

@Kidfried Ah, yes. It makes sense. I’m not sure why I’m fascinated by such things, but I am.
I have had an interest in Japanese culture for a long time. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’m a weeb — it’s more of a casual interest because of my Sony fanboyism. I have watched some anime, but more like just dipping my toe in the pool to see what it’s like. I don’t follow any series. I like jrpgs and games like Yakuza, so that’s part of the allure. I like Western rpgs also but never considered that for a non-native English speaking European it might be just as hard to get a local American reference in a game like Fallout as it is for me to get what a game like Shogi is in Yakuza.
It’s interesting that you termed it like being ‘tourists’ in the game as that’s exactly what it feels like when playing Yakuza or another game that takes place in another country. For me recently it was Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture which takes place in Shropshire England and it felt like I was a tourist there. I’m sure it might feel similar for someone playing The Last of Us or Infamous Second Son, games with locations and cultures that accurately reflect their real life counterparts. Places I’ve actually been. When I went to Seattle, I recognized places, signs, and businesses from Infamous SS.
And I know you meant ‘tourists’ in the game in a broader sense of just playing the game as an outsider to the culture of the game’s developers, but it even applies more literally as we virtually visit these places.
On the subject, are you planning to play Shenmue 1/2? I think I saw an article here about the accuracy of the locale in the game. I know it’s not like Yakuza gameplay-wise, but I am curious about it since I am enjoying Yakuza so much.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution So, late response, but the heat is making me incredibly lazy. I didn't sleep last night, due to the temperature being hotter at night than it was during daytime last summer.

What I did do was play Yakuza. Reading the replies in this topic and people's impressions it feels like I fell down the rabbit hole that is this game even deeper than most. I played Mahjong for four hours straight to get all CP. I won't rest until I'm at that 100%.

I almost completed the game and it's getting very emotional during the end. I even shed a tear at the last campaign mission I played, which only happened to me once before with a video game (coincidentally also this year, so maybe I'm just growing old and sentimental).

Also, of course I'll be playing Shenmue. I started the game two or three times before, but never got very far, but that's more because of practical reasons than me not liking the game. After Yakuza I'm even more interested to play the game that inspired it.

Only thing holding me back right now is that the game is probably releasing the day I finish Yakuza, more or less. So I might want to do some palette cleansing in between!

Kidfried

ApostateMage

Does anybody else find Makoto Makimura so adorable? Even though I can't understand the language, I think she's so well acted.

ApostateMage

Kidfried

@ApostateMage I don't know if I would use the word adorable myself, but I agree she has a lot of charm at least. Voice acting is spot on.

Kidfried

Th3solution

Ah man, the laugh out loud moments in this game ... I just did the side quest with the famous movie director “Stephen Spining” and pop star “Miracle Johnson” 😂
I’m pretty sure Spielberg didn’t give them permission to use his likeness! So funny!

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

So I’m still gradually getting along in this game. I had taken a break because I didn’t really understand or enjoy the Real Estate side game, but now it makes a lot more sense and I defeated Leisure King and took over 100% of the Leisure neighborhood and so now I think I’m on a roll and find it enjoyable. However, I also am anxious to move on with the plot and from the cost of some of the properties in the other areas I don’t think I want to plow through and complete the Real Estate part right now. So am I going to be allowed to finish off the Real Estate game later on in the story (I’m in Chapter 6)? I assume so, but I’m not sure if it is advantageous to finish it off early before proceeding with the story. Or does it really even matter if I don’t complete and take over all the other areas of Real Estate? I’m trying to decide how to proceed through this game because it is so easy to get distracted in it 😂

Kidfried

@Th3solution It's not important in what order you do it. But, real estate is easily the best way to make money in the game. So, if you struggle with combat, it might be wise to invest some time in the side stuff to upgrade your abilities.

Still, just relax and don't stress about the order of things. There are a few missable trophies, but those are only during story missions. All the side stuff you can do whenever you please, and you can still win pretty much any story battle without a fully upgraded character.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Sounds good. I might just shoot for taking over one more area at 100% for now since I’m enjoying it at the moment. Then I’ll probably move on through the story to keep things fresh. I hear the Cabaret mini game is similar and I don’t want to burn out on these.

Kidfried

@Th3solution The minigame is a bit similar. They're really different in terms gameplay, but both have you taking over your respective neighborhood and have a certain grind to them.

I enjoyed both, but can totally see people getting tired of them after just a few times.

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.