Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 961 to 980 of 6,458

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Hey, games are there for when you're able to play them. And I'm sure it'll all make sense in the end, too, especially if you're going back a second time.

Best of luck with the trophies, though! The descriptions are very, er... abstract. I used a guide.

@JJ-firl Agreed on the soundtrack praise. I couldn't NOT include it in one of those musical weekend quiz questions last year, but felt that the track you reference would've be too obvious; I guess @Kidfried is right, however, as it would appear that barely anybody has played the game (and having said that, I prefer the rest of the game's orchestral score anyway).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I just finished my first playthrough of Bangkok. So far a pretty decent level. I went to check my trophy list, but then noticed the 'bonus' episode stuff in between!

In your opinion, is playing through them worth it?

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Glad you enjoyed Bangkok at first pass.

The bonus levels are good, and definitely worth checking out. Without saying too much, A House Built on Sand is the weakest of the three; it's a return trip to Marrakesh with two targets who basically explore the bits of the map you didn't visit in the main mission (so you finally get to make use of all that "fluff" between the school and the embassy) but hey, that's no bad thing.

The Icon and Landslide, however, are really excellent. They both revolve around single targets, but transform parts of the Sapienza map with new geometry and a tighter focus. They're also very imaginative in both premise and execution, almost as much as the main missions are, and exploring different assassination methods to earn the trophies is a lot of fun. At times, you'll forget that you're even in Sapienza, particularly in The Icon, and again they use parts of the map that you might not necessarily have considered before.

If you're in the mood for more Hitman, then they definitely deliver (and I'm not just saying that because "RogerRoger + Hitman = Universal Praise") but I'd recommend coming back to them once you've finished the main story and visited everywhere else; not just because they're standalone in terms of story but also because, in the brief moments where you are walking the same streets as before, there might be a teeny chance of Repetitive Loop Syndrome. They're so much more refreshing to return to after Hokkaido.

But that's just my two pence. Hope you enjoy if and / or whenever you do try them!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger So... I couldn't contain myself, because I wanted to play the game in the 'chronological' (meaning order of release) order.I finished and 100%ed both bonus missions by now and, I have to admit my opinion on them is almost the opposite.

I loved the fact that you only needed to take down one target in Icon, but the stealth sections felt pretty tedious, and to me the different possibilities felt a bit the same: get an Effects Crew Outfit, turn a valve.

A House Built On Sand, on the other hand... easily my favorite mission so far, beating the main ones too. I love the market setting, and I loved how dynamic the level was. Felt really intrigued to find everything myself and the game gives you plenty of possibilities to do so.

I also liked how most areas were accessible from different sides, greatly increasing your ways of tackling a level. Now I'm back to Bangkok, which is alright!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Well, we couldn't agree forever, otherwise it'd get creepy.

Forgive me, you're absolutely right; Landslide was released last, and has a separate trophy list for Hitman (2016) after Hokkaido. The trophy list for Hitman 2 lumps all three bonus missions together, so I tend to view them as a trilogy, but your approach is probably better, as it means you won't be revisiting Sapienza quite so much and Landslide's gameplay makes for a neat little epilogue.

Your comments are fair. I guess the theme of The Icon (a superhero movie set) did some of the heavy lifting for me, and I became very enamoured with it as a result, sneaking into his trailer and then sabotaging his stunt and whatnot. I actually need to go back to A House Built on Sand, as I'm missing a trophy for it, so will keep your paragraph in mind when I do. It does contain one of my all-time favourite assassination sequences, though, namely the fortune teller (that was one I confused with the core Marrakesh level, and hinted at when we discussed it before). "I see... death."

Glad you're still enjoying Bangkok, too! Thanks for coming back and sharing your thoughts.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I thought the setting for The Icon was great too. Sapienza is without a doubt the most beautiful location I've seen so far in Hitman, so it was great to revisit. The superhero thing was a great idea too, but it just lacked in execution for me.

It seems, though, that the critics are on your side. Reading online, the Icon gets a lot of praise, and everybody basically hates A House Built On Sand.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

Kidfried wrote:

...but it just lacked in execution for me.

I see what you did there.

But no, seriously, I can see what you mean about The Icon. I guess, as somebody who likes replaying games, the repetitive steps in each separate approach were a kinda comfort blanket, but I can see how they'd get old fast to those looking for completely unique approaches (like the ones offered in the main missions or indeed, A House Built on Sand).

I'll be very interested to see what you make of Landslide as / when you get to it but, ultimately, each to their own and that's cool, because almost everything is possible in Hitman anyway!

And besides, if critics agree with me, then I must be wrong.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Just started up God of War this morning, and thank God I didn't have to work today as before I knew it, it had been nearly 4 hours!

I like the fact that it regularly breaks up the tension from the intense combat sections with puzzle rooms & narrative moments. Combat itself is pretty fun, though there are some issues (though the game does give you indicators, it's a tad troubling dealing with enemies behind you with the closed in camera. It's just going to come down to how well I can get acclimated to that quick turn move). Surprisingly tough, too (already had a wave of enemies I had to replay a few times to get down, and even then that came down to the fact that I had a full Spartan Rage bar going in to the fight, and there was a refill in the combat area). Looks absolutely stunning to boot.

Finished today's session at the part where you meet the character who can upgrade your gear (in addition to the story mandaded axe upgrade, I also crafted the more defense oriented armour, was able to upgrade it, and crafted the tunic for Atreus that let's him nab extra health drops for you during combat).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 Enjoy, defo one of my fave games this gen.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

redd214

@RR529 glad you're enjoying it. In my opinion it's one of the best games to come out in the past decade. Was a great ride from start to finish!

Just restarted playing LBP3 with the kiddos and finally giving Driveclub Bikes a go.

redd214

KALofKRYPTON

NHL 19 arrived yesterday. I must, say I'm incredibly impressed.

The presentation is incredible, available modes are expansive to the point of daunting and the on-ice action is incredibly satisfying and scale-able; it's as complex or as simple as you could want.

Had a very fun evening playing, very much doubt I'll scratch the surface of the entire package!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried wrote:

@JohnnyShoulder Well, let's hope it's in the next sale. Because by then the last three games I have finished will be Ni No Kuni 2, The Rise of the Tomb Raider and Red Dead Redemption 2.

I definitely need some kind of a palette cleanser before starting either Assassin's Creed, God of War or Dark Souls Remastered after that.

@Kidfried Oxenfree is on sale on the PS store under the 'Games Under £16' section. I assume a similar offer is available for the rest of Europe?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@Kidfried Let us know how you get on with it. It is pretty unique. I might to a second run for the platinum soon, but it is a really good palate cleanser.
It’ll make you wonder why some AAA games can’t get voice acting this good.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Buying it is one thing, but finding time to play a game is another thing. I'll have to beat Hitman, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Red Dead 2 first. And then I still have to consider whether I'm postponing my playthroughs for Zero Escape, Thronebreaker, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and RE for the time being.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

I've largely stopped buying games that go on sale now, unless I'm going to get to them immediately (like I did with Cuphead), as they'll always go on sale again, and I pretty much always have several different games going at once.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Kidfried @Ralizah Yeah, the sale issue is a tough one to navigate. I do have a very large backlog of games I bought on sale, which I probably would have had further opportunity to get later at a similar or even lower price, but I also have times when I regret not taking advantage of a sale. There has been multiple times that I get in the mood to play something and when I go to buy I just can’t make myself pay full price knowing it was previously on sale. Then I’m stuck waiting for it to go on sale again and often months may pass and my mood may have changed by then and I’m not up for it anymore. A recent example was the sale on the Persona 3 & 5 dance games that was going on and I waited too long to decide whether to buy and so the sale ended right before I decided to buy. Then I got in the mood for a rhythm dance game in that universe, so I had to just start with Persona 4 DAN last week (which I had previously found at retail) and I would have preferred to play them in order and start with P3 DIM first. So a missed opportunity.
I’ve liked using psprices.com to estimate how often certain games go on sale and being able to monitor them, as has been suggested by others on here.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

Detroit Become Human. Am enjoying it so far. I was initially put off by the controls, I was never keen on using the right stick to interact or the gyro controls in previous games. I just feel they are not consistent enough which then breaks immersion when they do not work. Especially when it comes to say, avoiding a punch.

But I'm willing to bear with them for now as the rest of the game is fab.

Ralizah

@Th3solution Well, technically DAN came years before the other two games, so you're still playing them in order.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Th3solution PS Prices is a blessing and a curse. I have a wishlist of almost 100 games on there, so every week I get reminded of some discount.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic