Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 841 to 860 of 6,460

Thrillho

@mrobinson91 try to play Edith Finch in as few sittings as possible. I felt I missed out a little spreading the story over a few days.

Thrillho

Ralizah

Tetris Effect.

It's... fun. Visuals are very pretty, although I don't really notice them much, as I zoomed in the camera as far as it would go. Maybe the default setting looks OK in a VR headset, but on my TV, I was having to squint to see the board, and that's no good.

Sound design is great. Some of the songs are extremely pretty, and I love the ambient sounds in many of the environments.

Not really wowed by it, but I'm also not playing in VR, so that's not too unexpected. It's definitely the best looking and sounding version of Tetris I've ever played, though.

$30 was still a little steep, but I think I'll probably end up getting my money's worth out of this release. I do love Tetris, after all. It's a pity there'll never be a Switch version, though, as I bet it could do some really neat stuff with HD rumble.

I'm looking forward to the weekend events apparently put on for this game. Once I'm done playing other modes, I could still see myself coming back for those, like Splatoon 2 keeps pulling me back with its Splatfests.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah I would never play this in VR either, but have been tempted to get it and play standard; just how big can you make the Tetris board on a screen, then? Because I sometimes have to sit forward to read tiny HUD text and if this is another victim of that modern trend, I'd be cautious.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to play this in VR, but, with all the Nintendo (and some PS) games I'll be buying at launch next year, I can't really justify the cost atm. Also, the bundle I was going to get sold out in the first few hours it went on sale, so...

Anyway, if you zoom all the way in, the board is pretty big on-screen. You can also change a bunch of the visual features if, for example, you want normal-looking tetriminoes, or if you want to lessen or disable altogether the flashing lights when you get a Tetris and whatnot.

Definitely play with headphones or earbuds if you can. The game's audio design is just phenomenal.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Ah, okay, that's neat. Thanks for explaining.

It's on my "when I get a bunch of PSN credit to drain in January" list, absolutely, and yeah, it's mostly because I've heard good things about the audio (pun semi-intended).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Ralizah Regarding TE — How do you find the trophy list? I of course have my copy and am still traveling and unable to use my PS4 for a while, but I was wondering if the trophy list seems like an achievable platinum.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution It's one of those trophy lists where 98% of them are reasonable, but then you get the few really hard ones, like the one requiring you to rotate tetriminoes a million times, or SS ranking everything (best I've gotten so far is an S, and that was after getting multiple Tetris combos in a row and generally being pretty speedy on a Normal mode board). I think it's probably achievable if you play the game enough and truly get good at Tetris.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah I finally got around to playing my copy of Tetris Effect. It’s about what I expected, which is a good thing. Beautiful visuals, great music and audio design, and a nice presentation. I played through about half of Journey mode and tried a few of the other modes for fun. I have discovered that I am not nearly as good at Tetris as I thought I was. I had to go down to Beginner level and even then, I’m pretty much stuck at the stage called “Celebration.” I tried it about 5 or 6 times and I can’t clear it. I can get close to about 4 or 5 lines left to clear and I mess up. It just gets going way too fast at the end. Maybe I’m just tired. I sure hope it becomes easier because I’ve only played about 3 hours and if I can’t get past this stage, I’m hosed as far as enjoying the game going forward.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution I absolutely love the different modes in this game. Usually, I find the different gameplay modes in Tetris games to be gimmicky and unsatisfying when compared with a normal marathon run, but a lot of these Effect modes are quite cool. Journey mode is also pretty much perfect with regard to being a satisfying Tetris campaign.

If you think anything in the campaign is too fast, you absolutely need to try out "Master Mode." The tetriminoes pretty much teleport to the bottom of the stage as soon as they appear. It's brutal, and I haven't managed better than a C-rank yet.

I've found that, when I struggle with something like that in a game, it's usually better to just put it down for a day or so, and then come back to it. Allow your brain time to process the experience.

Wearl

I'm currently playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, The Witcher 3 and GTA Online. Between them the new Shadow of the Tomb Raider DLC "The Pillar"

Most Wanted:
-The Last of Us: Part II
-New Deus Ex Game

JJ-firl

@Ralizah Lumines Electronic Symphony also has a 'Master Mode' aka 'the place where fun comes to die'. I am clearly not a master.

A brief moment of silence for my Lumines trophy list... Forever stuck at 90%.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Ralizah

@JJ-firl I managed a "B" on that mode last night. I think the bigger obstacle for me is anything that requires lots of comboing. The window for doing so is so narrow!

RR529

Started up Dragon Quest XI within the last week. It's been pretty great so far (recently arrived in Gondolia). Not since Spider-Man have I been this hooked on a game (including taking tons of screenshots).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

mookysam

Been playing Hitman 2 recently, following @RogerRoger's glowing recommendation. So far I've only finished the Prologue and have started the Paris Legacy level, but I'm enjoying the depth to the level design and how the assassinations are planned out. The controls are also simple, which is nice.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@Ralizah Well, I took your advice and took a break from the Tetris stage that I had trouble passing and then went back and by some miracle I completed it on my fourth try tonight. Then I felt confident cruising through the next section until I got to the last stage and it cranks up to speed of 10 at the end and it just gets so frustrating for me. 😩
I’ll have to try again after another break for a day or two. I guess I’m not a natural at Tetris after all. And I’m not sure my brain will be able to compute things at the top speed. I did try the Master Mode just for fun and it is just pure luck if I get the pieces in place in the 0.2 milliseconds you get. Not sure I even completed more than a line or two.

Ralizah

@Th3solution So, one thing I find helpful when pieces start falling especially quickly is to rotate them continuously until I've moved them to the spot I want them in. If you do it quickly enough, it'll keep the game from sticking them to the board. The key to managing faster speeds is to do this while keeping an eye on the next available piece so that, subconsciously, you know where to direct the next piece when it comes out.

Don't worry about not being great at the game: you'll get better with practice, and sometimes people just struggle with certain games for no particular reason. In my case, although I'm pretty decent at Tetris, I am terrible at Puyo-Puyo, and struggle to create chains bigger than two reactions long. I understand the game conceptually, but in practice, I just can't seem to grok the moment-to-moment of it in a way that allows me to play at even a semi-competent level. I did practice, though, and I went from failing continuously at even rudimentary levels of the game to being able to complete the story mode in Puyo-Puyo Tetris and get much further than I was ever able to before in Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Gremio108

I've had a busy week and so I've been reduced to the status of 'lurker' on Push Square these last few days. Games I've been playing while I've had the chance:

Terraria: My eldest son got some Terraria guide books for Christmas and we've been delving into the deeper aspects of this game. He loves it. The game is insane, we've been playing it loads and I see it when I close my eyes. I've been helping him try to beat a boss called the 'Wall of Flesh', my every waking moment consists of planning ways to bring that sucker down.

Shenmue: Ah, Shenmue. I love this game so much. I've not had much chance to play it yet, and when I do it's either to run around Ryo's house switching the lights off and plunging Ine-san into darkness, or legging it down the arcade to play darts. The compressed voice effects are terrible but I'm used to them now, and I don't remember Ryo being this difficult to control. Anyone struggling with Red Dead should play Shenmue for a bit - Ryo makes Arthur Morgan look like Kat from Gravity Rush. Trying to negotiate him into an alleyway is like trying to drag a drunk out of a pub at closing time. Still, wouldn't change a thing about this beautiful game.

Spyro Trilogy - I remember playing the first one back in the day, but I don't remember it being this fun. The kids have been playing it and I've jumped in when they've needed help. These kids need to get their arses back to school so I can play this game proper.

Hope everyone's had a great Christmas, and Happy New Year for tonight.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Your paragraph about Shenmue makes me want to start it immediately.

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger It's just so good. Can't wait to get properly stuck in. It's like going back to a town you haven't visited since you were young.

UPDATE Apparently the kids have defeated Terraria's 'Wall of Flesh' boss today, while I was out. My wife said she heard a massive cheer from downstairs and wondered what was going on. Sports Day can screw off, this is what it means to be a proud parent

Edited on by Gremio108

Gremio108

@KratosMD I played a little bit of Shenmue II back in the day, but not much. That's one of the reasons why I'm so excited for this re-release. They introduced some sort of time-skipping mechanic in the second one. I can't remember how it works because I never used it, but it's there.

I thought I heard something about them working it into the first game for this reissue, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem to be there.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic