Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 741 to 760 of 6,461

Tjuz

@Th3solution Oh, I do love the idea that you can get a character killed that early! I'm sure that should fairly dramatically alter the game. Too bad it happened to you though! Did you feel it was justified or was it very convoluted in it's sabotaging the ''logical'' option? I'm just glad it's as advertised and not simply a game that doesn't really change anything for the entire story until the last 5 minutes, haha.

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Tjuz No I think it’s definitely justified, although as in any player choice situation, it’s a little bit like ‘read the mind of the developer’ to see what they intend for you to do since more than one approach seems reasonable. In this situation I was a little bit surprised because of a slight bait and switch where I though the ‘right’ response was one thing and I completely had my reasons for doing so, but I didn’t anticipate some of the variables very well. But no, so far the consequences seem fair, but I haven’t been able to go back yet to finish the game due to a busy week. I heard the latter part of the game does get a little bit random in its storyline and I can’t be sure whether all roads lead to a similar climactic resolution or not until I finish it, but I imagine losing one of the three major protagonists has to affect things at least a little bit. 😅 I’ll keep posted my thoughts as I experience it.

Have you played Until Dawn? It’s much less complex than Detroit, and much more complex than a Telltale game as far as choice and consequence. Characters will definitely die if you make certain ‘wrong’ choices so there is depth to what you do which alters the outcome to a degree. Highly recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tjuz

@Th3solution Fair enough. Good to hear that the game doesn't endelessly frustrate you with convoluted consequences! I'd be glad to read your further (spoiler-free) thoughts as you continue your game. The more great things I hear about it the more likely I'll eventually pull the trigger!

I have actually played Until Dawn. I actived my 7-day PS Plus trial to claim that game when it was one of the free games, since it's always one I've wanted to try out because of the choice/consequence aspect of it. I would've preferred maybe a slightly.... less scary game, but it was a fun experience nonetheless when my heart wasn't racing of anxiety. I did not actually end up finishing the game. Not because of my trial running out, but because of the twist in the third act. The second the random insertion of killer banshees happened, the game lost me. It wasn't even the fact that they were terrifying, but it just felt like such a cheap move from a story perspective. It had been doing so well for the first two thirds. Sure, there were plenty of clichés, but nothing as ridiculous and mind-numbing as that third act twist. The second that happened, I had no desire to continue. I did manage to get one of my characters killed, though. I can't recall the name or even which character it was, but I remember him getting dragged into a cave after it collapsed (I believe Emily(?), the teenager, was with him when this happened) and getting hung on spikes. I believe it ended up happening because of some illogical decision the game decided to make for me, so I was quite frustrated with it too. The third act twist definitely did not help after that.

Edited on by Tasuki

Tjuz

Tasuki

@Tjuz As per community rules

Do not use profanity; Use of unsavoury language including profanity and swearing is not acceptable, please remember that this website has users of all ages.

I have had to edit several of your posts the last few days so please let's watch the language.

Thanks for understanding

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Tjuz

@Tasuki I'm sorry. I actually thought I was doing really well on reigning in the foul language, but apparently it keeps slipping by me! I'm genuinely really not sure what rule breaking words I keep putting in there, haha.

Tjuz

Th3solution

So I have been on a blitzkrieg of gaming the last couple days. Finishing off a couple games, which I detailed in the other thread and starting a couple new ones.
I gave in to the hype on two games I said I was probably going to wait to play and collapsed to the peer pressure — Red Dead Redemption 2 and SoulCalibur 6. I started RDR2 and enjoyed the opening chapter, but I reasoned that with such a long open world epic that I would like something different to play between sessions and since I just finished two story heavy games in Detroit BH and Oxenfree, I wanted something just quick to pick up and play that was mindless and different. Button mashing and punching stuff? Sounds good. Enter SoulCalibur 6.
I’ve been wanting a fighter to just blow off steam and I had a $10 voucher to help the cost. I fully intended to just put it in the backlog with many of my other games and just lose myself in Red Dead 2. Well.... a funny thing happened on my way to the American Wild West Frontier —
I kinda, sorta accidentally booted up SoulCalibur 6 ...and before I knew it, I had spent 5 hours goofing around with that game. So yeah, it’s fun. And it is pretty addictive. The different modes are varied enough that they all feel worth playing. The characters are interesting, and the combat is satisfying. I’m no fighting game expert, and in fact I’m pretty bad at the genre actually, but it is easy enough to just pick up the basics in a couple hours and be adequate. I went online and played a few matches and lost them all, but I was somewhat competitive at least.
The character creator is very robust. And I spent a fair amount of time just monkeying around with it. I made some characters and felt they looked pretty cool only to discover there were several pages of more cosmetic additions that I hadn’t even seen. Facial tattoos and scars?! Yes, please.
After clearing the arcade mode and main story mode with Kilik and then with one of my created characters, I tried the large world map mode Libra of Souls and it looks to be a huge time sink. I can’t wait to play more if it. One cool thing is that the game actually ramdomly uses your created characters (and also characters from other players online too I think) as opponents in some of the story modes. It’s a very nice touch I thought.
I did finally reluctantly shut the game off and turn on RDR2. Also an amazing game, but very different, so I’m enjoying it in an entirely distinct way. But there has been plenty said about RDR2 and it has its own thread so I’ll leave it at that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

In between Red Dead Redemption 2 sessions I'm still trying to get the last couple of trophies for the optional side-ops objectives MGS5 Ground Zeroes.

This game, like Phantom Pain is still unbelievable. I've been having a lot of fun with RDR2 this last week and a bit, but nothing made me feel like what I felt during the last half an hour of MGS.

My heart is still beating like crazy from excitement from last mission. I was so scared I would get caught carrying the renegade soldiers out of the base. And when I succeeded that was an amazing feeling. Even though I've completed this specific side op twice before, which is set in a level I know inside out.

When I talk about the Kojima magic, this is what I mean. Not the strange story, but the actual stealth gameplay. He makes it feel like you are really there. And that is such a unique feeling.

I thought about doing these optional objectives in one go, but I need a small break from all the adrenaline. Unbelievable.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Th3solution Sounds great! How much time will you personally get out of enjoying the SoulCalibur single player, you reckon?

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried I don’t know, its hard to say. I’ve put in about 6 hours or so over the weekend and barely have learned 2-3 character very well. I’ve played the main story on Soul Chronicles and a couple extra character arcs. (Last night I tried Inferno on arcade mode and found him enormously overpowered, but a blast to play with.) And I’ve spent a lot of time just experimenting around with character creation, which is a fun thing to sidetrack for a few hours.
I haven’t even scatched the surface of Libra of Soul except to use its tutorial dojo. That is the rpg-ish mode with a custom character and supposedly is at least 6-8 hours to go through, but I’m seeing conflicting data online. Add in some online matches and I’d say I’ll proabably spend 20-30 hours over the next few weeks or so to ‘finish’ the game, but it will probably be one of those game that by the time all is said and done, I’ll dip into it for 50 hours or so over the coming year. It’s a good game to mix things up, in reference to our other conversation about avoidance of open world fatigue. 😁

JohnnyShoulder

Playing Mad Max. Got when it was on ps+ a few months ago. Had started it but I think other games got in the way.

Enjoying it so far, needed a game to lose myself in and it is ticking all the boxes for me. Once you have upgraded your car and harpoon, driving round the world taking on the enemies feels so satisfying.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Nei

Playing Shenmue. I was so afraid it could have aged badly and it would have ruined the memories of one of the most mind-blowing gaming experiences I had but I was so wrong: I am enjoying every second. The remaster in nothing special but the game is still amazing. It has a very unique charm that is still totally intact.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

NecuVise

@Kidfried yeah I share. The same feeling regarding mgsv. To this day it's the longest played game on current gen for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it because of its gameplay. I didn't understand one bit of the story and had to Google it but gameplay is so addictive.

NecuVise

KALofKRYPTON

Picked up Grip at lunchtime - roll on the perfect 1999 nostalgia!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

I've been playing Final Fantasy X HD a lot lately, i'm trying to do as many of the side quests as i can to get weapons and Overdrives

getting Wakka's for example is a MAJOR pain in the backside, still at least i don't have to get a time of 0 seconds in a Chocobo race like you have to for Tidus (especially when the Chocobo is hard to control and the items that knock your time down are randomly placed along the course)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

With the early arrival of General Grievous, I've jumped back into Star Wars: Battlefront II for a short while. I doubt I'll spend any meaningful time with the game until Geonosis and the other new heroes (Obi-Wan, Anakin and Dooku) are all released and available to try, but I was curious enough because there had been several large updates since I last played.

My immediate disappointment was that Grievous isn't a free update; you can play as him in Arcade Mode but, to use him in online multiplayer, he costs 35,000 credits. I'd been deliberately saving up just in case EA did this (the last two new heroes, Finn and Captain Phasma, were completely free) and had 30,000 credits upon booting up. An hour of Heroes Vs. Villains later, I had 33,500 so it won't take me too long to unlock Grievous... but that, of course, sets me back to zero, and I'm guessing that Obi-Wan, Anakin and Dooku will come with similar in-game price tags. My sense of pride and accomplishment is quite low at this point, it must be said.

To be (ever-so-slightly) fair, though, credits are earned much more frequently than at launch. I randomly hit three "milestones" whilst playing, each of which awarded me 500 credits. I've no idea what they were, or where to track them from, but they were welcome incentives to keep playing well and earn a bonus beyond my (admittedly average) endgame ranking reward.

I was also happy to see that the aforementioned Arcade Mode has been greatly expanded, with almost all the small and mid-sized maps now available and a Starfighter Onslaught game type thrown in for good measure. There's also a Hero Starfighter multiplayer mode, which kinda works like Heroes Vs. Villains except that when you die, you respawn as a generic starfighter of your choice and have to defend your remaining hero ships.

Finally, the limited-time Ewok Hunt multiplayer mode is now permanent; a rare example of EA actually listening to the fans and undoing a harmful mistake.

With a pretty clear day tomorrow, I'll put some time in and see how the various gameplay tweaks actually impact the core multiplayer experience. There's no way in heck I'll get close to re-filling my 35,000 credits in time for Obi-Wan (nor earning the 40,000 required to unlock customised Clonetrooper battalion paint... I'll sadly never be a member of the Wolfpack, I guess) but I might as well make a start.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger now if they'd just release a full on Starfighter sequel! 😁

@Kidfried I think it's pretty great! Fast, challenging, decent looking and it's relatively cheap.

There are caveats of course; the online matchmaking is a bit limited - a games list would be really helpful; I think there are at least two glitched trophies, though a couple of them on the list are ridiculous for a trophy hunter; no photo mode; no race replay.
All of that I can happily live with 😁

Well worth £35!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@RogerRoger That sounds pretty frustrating at how high the price is for unlocking the bonus content. So, out of curiosity, what is the real life cost of unlocking Obi-Wan, Dooku, Anakin, or the Clonetrooper paint if you just wanted to admit defeat, skip the grind and just buy them?

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Wasn't all that removed and then put back into the game, because of all the backlash? I thought the only things you can buy with real money are cosmetic items? Or are these classed as cosmetic items?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I don’t know. I think they sound more than cosmetic, but I’m not sure if it’s so far as to border on pay-to-win. After the initial backlash, I was wondering to what extent MT were quietly reintroduced. I actually bought the first Battlefront game on day 1, but it was a pretty large waste of money for me since I’m not that interested in online modes so I probably only played that game for about 6-8 hours total before I decided it wasn’t fun for me. My Star Wars fanboyism got the best of me then, but for BF2, I was able to resist buying it and the MT debacle made it that much easier to abstain.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic