Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 681 to 700 of 6,461

Kidfried

@beemo Oh sorry, by the way, my comment might have sounded more dismissive than I intended it too. I reaaaaally liked LA Noire a lot and it was one of my highlights of last gen. But it really didn't age well is what I meant.

I can surely understand why somebody would play the game still, but it will never be like playing it in 2011 again.

To me at least, RDR aged better.

Kidfried

Ralizah

I really didn't like LA Noire when I tried it on Xbox 360. The high-detail motion captured faces were an interesting innovation at the time, but I just didn't enjoy trying to tell when people were trying to lie to me, the button prompts often didn't line up well with what my character ended up saying, and the game feels very... restrictive.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Personally speaking, when I played Red Dead, it felt like all the other games that have subsequently been copying its winning formula ever since. I recognise that it broke new ground for the open-world sandbox genre at the time, perhaps, but that ground has now been severely trampled on, and so my own footsteps felt every bump, from dull side quests to busywork minigames.

Not only that, but it was basically a bigger version of GUN, a PS2 game with a far superior soundtrack which I'd thoroughly enjoyed in my university days.

On the other hand, L.A. Noire still feels incredibly unique. Nobody's really done the film noir detective genre since, nor had they before. The facial capture technology is stunning in its best moments, and the deduction is much more immersive and "grown-up" than any touch-screen cartoon crime games the DS ever produced.

I guess my point is, if I wanna play an open-world sandbox or a Western game, I've got way more choice, but there's still only one L.A. Noire.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@beemo There'll be other quizzes, I'm sure.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

Started playing A Way Out with my son and we are enjoying the game alot. It's a very unique game play mechanic and the story is great too. To me it feels like we are playing a buddy flick type game. Can't wait to see this one through.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Kidfried

@Tasuki Great reminder, as I still need to play it, but keep forgetting about it. Local co-op I always dig so much.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Kidfried I actually forgot about it too, till my son got it from Gamefly and asked if I wanted to play it with him. We are actually having a blast with it and the co-op get.play is brilliant. Even when we fail at parts we have a good laugh and then I find ourselves discussing how we messed up and possible ways to get past the point.

My Backlog

Kidfried

@Tasuki Sounds great. I don't have any kids, but it sounds like something I would enjoy a lot with my partner.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Kidfried Yeah, definitely play it with someone else be it a friend, family member etc. I don't know if it would be the same feeling online maybe if you had mics but definitely really shines with people in the same room.

My Backlog

JohnnyShoulder

Played more of Assassins Creed Origins over the past few days. Still enjoying it and really like the combat. I like the different strategies you need to employ. Some enemies you can block their strikes with your sheild and get a few hits in. You can also use your hard strike to stagger enemies which is useful for shielded enemies to create an opening. But some can do the same to you so you need to either dodge or riposte their strikes. Others with have huge shields who you can't stagger so you will need to dogs their strikes or move round behind hit em. And then there are archers and wildlife which can come into play. I'm sure there will be more enemy types introduced later too.

I'm finding that I am varying what weapons I'm using too. Usually with games like the Soulsborne games i tend to stick to the same type (mostly cos I don't have enough points in the right stat)of weapon. With Orgins you are free to use any weapons as long as it is not a level higher than your current one. So the heavier maces and hammers take a lot longer for each strike to land, but do a devastating amount of damage. Then you got stuff like the twin blades which are super fast but you have get in real close to land any hits. Each type of weapon also has it own super move which you can pull of by filling out a meter and finishing move, which are pretty brutal.

I see some have commented on the Odyssey review round up article that the side quests can get a bit samey. I've not got to that stage yet as I've not done a great deal of them. Probably helps that I'm not playing it frequently. There is loads to do, if I can i always try to vary the tasks if I need to grind a couple of levels, that way i find it helps to prevent the repetion setting in.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for your impressions of AC Origins. It’s interesting to read them as I have it in my backlog and have had trouble finding the time to play it. The feedback has been pretty positive all around for it, but it’s hard not to look past it at Odyssey first. But reading your enjoyment of the game helps to steel my resolve to play Origins first and wait for the inevitable price drop on Odyssey later on.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution No problem at all!

I think you mentioned elsewhere that the last AC game you played was Black Flag, which is the same as me. I never did finish that game, I seem to remember I just had other games to play rather than not enjoying it.

The only fault I can think of is that it does that Ubisoft thang of filling up your map with icons, so can feel a bit overwhelming. Usually with open world games I would feel inclined to mop up all the icons. But for some reason I've not done this here and I've tried to move on in the story missions as much as possible. I think one of the reasons is that some of the places I've gone to had enemies which were too powerful for me to take on. So rather than struggle or level up for hours, I've just moved on to something else.

I almost bought it as it was in the Ubisoft sale on the PS store, but I will wait until my Dad has finished with it. He is currently struggling with it so hopefully he will give up on it lol.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Sometimes I like it when a game with lots of side activities has some that are clearly high level enemies because it kind of forces me to move on through the main storyline or to do other activities first. I prefer to know the suggested level first before I waste my time starting something and then get destroyed by the enemies there. But the high level enemies gives the game some better flow than if you open a new area and there are 20 icons all of a sudden and you feel like you have to do them all right away.
In some games, like Horizon Zero Dawn for example, the menu will show the suggested level for the side quest and so it’s easy to know whether you should wait and come back later. Does Origins guide you in this way or is it just trial and error to find out if you’re underleveled?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yeah the Quests tab in the menu details quests that are outstanding and the reccomended level. Anything you see in the world which will destroy you will have a red icon above their head. I think a couple of levels higher than you will be a challenge but still doable, these and enemies at the same and lower lever have a white icon above them. The enemies with a red icon will almost one hit kill you, well they have done to me whenever I've faced em lol. If I see any of those I stay well clear of them.

It kinda works how i remember it in Falout 4 and The Witcher 3. You can accidentally go into a camp or whatever but the game gives you enough warning so that you can do a runner. Like I fast travelled to an eagle point forgot that it was where all these lions were who all had red skull icons above em (which is never a good sign). I thought I was trapped and I jumped down into the hay and they were all around me. But luckily they were all sleeping so I managed to sneak away a bit, until they noticed me and then I had to run until I got to higher ground.

And you are encrouged to use your eagle to scout ahead, who can directly control now and tag enemies and points of interests. That is one of my fave things to do in the game.

Gremio108

I'm five or so hours into Okami HD now. Having not played it since 2007, I was worried the gameplay wouldn't hold up, but it hasn't aged a day. Absolute gaming bliss, that's what Okami is!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Kidfried

@Gremio108

Okami

@KratosMD @JohnnyShoulder

AC Origins

Now I want to buy and play those both. Can't really justify it after having bought way too expensive shoes this last weekend.

(Regret life choices. Note to self: always buy games instead of clothes.)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD That sounds pretty awesome. I will play Origins eventually. I actually haven’t played Witcher3 yet either [*cowers in gamer shame 😔 *] so I might have to flip a coin when it comes to that. I actually think that after finishing Sot Tomb Raider that I’ll play something else from this year first in order to get some of the 2018 stuff under my belt first before year’s end. Like all the GotY candidates
such as maybe Detroit, GoW, Red Dead2, or Spider-Man. Not sure. I will completely let my mood dictate what I tackle first.

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

@Kidfried Better to be barefoot and well entertained, than to have feet well clad and leisure time empty.
...I think that’s an ancient proverb actually.

mookysam

@Th3solution Mei Ling said so in Metal Gear Solid, so it must be true.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD That's cool man. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it, playing it more frequently than me. By the sounds of it you are gonna have fun with it. It has definetly piqued my interest in Odyssey, I wasn't that bothered about it before. I argree in the direction for the series, the series seemed to be getting a bit stale.

@Kidfried Okami is in the PS store sale too, think it was under £10. Can your budget stretch to that? I almost bought MHW from Amazon but they only had it from third party sellers, which I don't like buying from. I had a sneaky feeling MHW might pop in the sale when it went up.

@Th3solution I recommend playing The Witcher 3 before any more open world stuff, there is a danger that it may feel a bit dated by today's standards the longer you leave it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic