Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 601 to 620 of 6,458

AdamantiumClaws

andreoni79 wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws I still have to finish Tomb Raider and I've played only the Uncharted trilogy, but so far I'm really enyoing Lara's adventure, while Nathan's ones strangely bored me: too many predictable cliffhangers and the world you move in feels like a TV set, artificial and empty.

I can't relate to that. The Uncharted games are the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had in my life, nothing has matched it. I played Rise because I was craving more Uncharted, and it was good, but not nearly as good in both world and story/characters. The characters in Uncharted always felt real and were very entertaining, and the locations you go to are always breathtaking. There were a few times in Rise where I felt a bit breathless, but this was always taken away by the fact that you can backtrack through all the levels which was awkward. I was able to backtrack through the ruined ancient city, and all the bodies were still burning and in the exact same positon they were in hours ago. Really takes me out of the game. I also for the life of me cannot remember any characters from Tomb Raider other than Laura herself.

Uncharted isn't perfect, I didn't think 3 was very good from a story standpoint, and 4 made some decisions that disappointed me, but overall in the big picture it's been a great experience, all the action set-pieces that took my breath away like falling out of a plane or escaping a sinking ship, and the characters are wonderful. I've been playing the games since the first one in 2008, and I was astonished at the cinematic quality of it, and shocked that it got a sequel. I think Uncharted has pushed video gaming forward in ways that no other game series did. I think these days games like the Tomb Raider reboot owe a lot to Uncharted.

Edited on by AdamantiumClaws

Even the rocks do not recall.

Kidfried

@AdamantiumClaws For me the series has only gotten better. I'd rank it like this: 4<3<2<1. Still need to play LL.

Still, what I liked in Tomb Raider (2013) was feeling like there was less hand holding and I did more things myself, whereas in Uncharted I sometimes feel like an actor in a movie.

In Uncharted 4 they improves on this in some areas. Like where you can decide to go stealth or gun blazing and there are multiple routes from A to B. These things help.

Kidfried

AdamantiumClaws

Kidfried wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws For me the series has only gotten better. I'd rank it like this: 4<3<2<1. Still need to play LL.

Still, what I liked in Tomb Raider (2013) was feeling like there was less hand holding and I did more things myself, whereas in Uncharted I sometimes feel like an actor in a movie.

In Uncharted 4 they improves on this in some areas. Like where you can decide to go stealth or gun blazing and there are multiple routes from A to B. These things help.

I will admit that I wish there was more stealth in Uncharted, my only complaint. But is in 4 a lot like you said, and it's in Lost Legacy as well.

I would echo what beemo said about Lost Legacy, it's fantastic and my second favorite in the series shockingly. My ranking of the series is 2>LL>4>3>1 (although I think the story is better in 1 than 3).

I felt like I was in a movie, but I loved that. It was like a playable movie, and so exciting!

RogerRoger

Personally, I feel like comparison between the two is quite difficult.

Uncharted is an action movie using the mechanics of a game to tell its story. Tomb Raider is a game using the story of an action movie to give its mechanics context.

Having recently replayed (yet again) both A Thief's End and Rise, I found that my personal tastes have changed and skewed more towards the gameplay-focused latter, rather than the narrative-focused former, but I've played both franchises extensively because they're both brilliant at what they set out to achieve.

Tomb Raider is an excellent, in-depth game where you also happen to end up caring about the plot; Uncharted is a well-written, compelling story in which you happen to find cool little moments of gameplay buried between the cutscenes. For those reasons, I can forgive Uncharted's spongey controls and on-rails feeling, just as I can forgive Tomb Raider's one-dimensional supporting cast and downplayed cinematic flair.

@Kidfried Lost Legacy is very good; in fact, I'd place it way above A Thief's End (which would give me a ranking of Drake's Deception > Lost Legacy > Drake's Fortune > A Thief's End > Golden Abyss > Among Thieves). As @beemo says, it comes highly recommended. I also think it benefits from originally being a DLC that got expanded; it doesn't outstay its welcome, it's like a pure hit of everything great about Uncharted with very few of the flaws (although there are parts of the story which made me go "urgh" but that's just me). I was gonna try and replay it before this week, but it'll have to wait now; however, I'm really looking forward to experiencing it again.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I think you expressed that perfectly. The comparison of Uncharted and Tomb Raider are unavoidable, but probably a little misplaced. The subject matter is somewhat common, but other than that, I think you explained why they are each their own thing and why I can really love both franchises for slightly different reasons.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Cheers; I certainly get very different things from playing them both, and am happy to be a huge fan of both franchises. I can understand, however, how folks with limited time and budget to play games might have to make a decision between two "rooms full of old things" adventures and then it just depends on who's making the purchase, really, and what they want from their choice.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger If there would have ever been a proper Indiana Jones game, then all these clones wouldn’t have to exist.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger We so need a new Indiana Jones game that doesn't have Lego in the title.

That's a great way of putting it regarding the different stkry/gameplay balanxe in Uncharted and Tomb Raider. I actually prefer the gameplay variety and focus of Tomb Raider (mind you I've only played the 2013 one so far). Also, cool that Drake's Deception is your favourite! I'd rate that very highly too. Marlowe was the best villain and the set-pieces were mind-blowing.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam We do indeed. I still regularly fire up Emperor's Tomb and Staff of Kings on my PS2 and dream of what might be. Maybe with the new film in the works, we'll get our wish!

Thanks; yeah, I think Drake's Deception is my favourite because it's the most cinematic, with everything constructed around the set-pieces, and that's what Uncharted does best for me. I love Marlowe as well, she's brilliantly sinister. Helen Miren would play her perfectly if she were ever to pop up in the forthcoming film (and with it being focused on a young Nate, maybe she will).

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

So I'm playing Before The Storm. Yes, I'm still trying to catch up on 2017's greatest games.

I'm at the third episode now and the games only getting better, better than my expectations surely.

I think the choices presented throughout are strong all the time, even if I don't expect any major payout from them. Also, that's fine. I rather have this well thought out story than an infinite amount of branches.

The story makes quite an impression on me, certainly because some of the themes remind me so much of my own struggles during my teenage years. A time in which the illusions you've grown up to believe might shatter, and you try to find ways to cope in destruction. Also, the Twin Peaks references are really nice.

Artistically this game is really strong too. From the graphics to the music, it's very effective. Of course, I miss Burch as Chloe, but overall I feel that this might be the better game.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried I'm sorry to hear of your personal connection to the story, but also pleased to hear that you've found resonance in its themes. Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming, but those kinds of experiences can be ultimately rewarding and helpful, in a way. Fingers crossed it stays that way for you until the credits roll at the end of the episode.

I still maintain that Before the Storm's second episode is the single greatest episode of Life is Strange thusfar. I'd love it to be surpassed, but found it so perfect that I'd also kinda not.

Am therefore not surprised that you're edging towards calling it the better game.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Honestly, I was so immersed into the story that I didn't realize it until afterwards. Normally during games I still feel like I'm someone else than the main character, but that barrier totally removed during playing the second episode. Which is awesome.

So, only when I turned off my PS4 it struck me that a part of Before The Storm's story is kind of my own story as well. It's cool that they're able to tell all of that through the medium of a video game. Anyway, it was nice to be reminded of times passed in a way.

So, did you have the kissing scene? I couldn't choose the option, but the story remained very strong regardless.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Those moments in gaming, where you forget yourself and feel so connected to the character you're controlling, are awesome. They're so rare (because most games offer fantastical insanity most regular folks don't get up to) but I think it's part of the reason Life is Strange and narrative games have become so popular lately; they make that connection with more players.

Yep, I was able to have Chloe and Rachel kiss, and yep, it made me quite emotional, for similarly close-to-home reasons. Are you looking up alternate choices and playthroughs afterwards, then? My best friend does that, but I usually stick to my choices. How did you know you were missing that option?

Making It So Since 1987

AdamantiumClaws

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix. The gameplay is weird in this one, I don't know why they felt the need to change it. But I'm interested in what befalls of these characters...

KidRyan

I'm about to resume playing Spider-Man (PS4), last time I just got the new White Spider suit, about to go after Fisk's construction sites.

Once I beat that I plan to go back to Rise of the Tomb Raider/Life is Strange: Before the Storm and beat both games. Then I'll start a Halloween/Horror themed game in time for Halloween...I'm thinking either Until Dawn or Resident Evil 4, I've never played either game before.

After that I'll switch over to the Kingdom Hearts series, plan to play Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue for the first time, so I'm ready for Kingdom Hearts III when it releases...though I'll obviously take a break to play the Spyro Reignited Trilogy when it releases.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

AdamantiumClaws

RogerRoger wrote:

@Kidfried Lost Legacy is very good; in fact, I'd place it way above A Thief's End (which would give me a ranking of Drake's Deception > Lost Legacy > Drake's Fortune > A Thief's End > Golden Abyss > Among Thieves).

You rank Among Thieves last?

RogerRoger

@AdamantiumClaws Yup.

I mean, let's be fair, it's kinda like how a Mars bar is my least favourite chocolate. It's still chocolate, I'll still eat one, but there's a lot about it which I'm not hugely keen on, and all the others do the whole "make me happy" thing way better.

Gosh darn it, now I want chocolate.

Making It So Since 1987

AdamantiumClaws

RogerRoger wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws Yup.

I mean, let's be fair, it's kinda like how a Mars bar is my least favourite chocolate. It's still chocolate, I'll still eat one, but there's a lot about it which I'm not hugely keen on, and all the others do the whole "make me happy" thing way better.

Gosh darn it, now I want chocolate.

I'm just curious why, I've never met anyone who ranked it dead last. I love it so much, so just trying to understand.

JohnnyShoulder

Is that the second Uncharted game, and the one with the long train section and the a helicopter after you? If so, yep that is my least favourite too but I've not played the last two games. And I've just realised I don't remember a single thing about the third game. 🤤

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic