Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 461 to 480 of 6,460

Th3solution

@KratosMD @KALofKRYPTON @JohnnyShoulder
I’m relieved to hear I’m not the only guy who has a problem with prematurely getting away from a game and then trying to go back to it and relearn the controls and mechanics. I have a decent list of games that are in this category ... gosh, we need a name for this. Hmmm... just like I previously proposed the term “backlog regress” to be the opposite of “backlog progress” — in other words buying more games to add to your growing backlog as opposed to finishing games from your backlog — I now propose the term “sidelog” as those games that were started and only partially played that you have the intent to return to and complete. So for me, I have a pretty hefty sidelog: Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Dragon Age Inquisiton, Batman Arkham Knight, and most recently having started Yakuza 0. ...Oi, that list is daunting.

@RogerRoger Yeah, to relate to your post about relearning the controls for UC — the funny thing was the game I most recently have been playing is Yakuza 0 and the common button punch scheme for the melee that my fast twitch muscle memory had been trained to do was: ‘square, square, square, triangle.’ I used that over and over in Y0. So unfortunately when my fingers automatically went to work during an attack from a Sawtooth or a Snapmaw they went to that reliable melee combo, only to make Aloy ‘crouch, stand, crouch, stand’ while she got pummeled. 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kontrol1909

I’m currently playing Final Fantasy XV, a title which has caused some discomfort for me as a longtime Final Fantasy fan, yet I enjoy nonetheless.

kontrol1909

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Not to get into some kind of list wars or anything but my current list of unfinished games is: Darks Souls 3 dlc, Bloodborne dlc, Doom, Witcher 3 dlc, Dishonoured 2, Ratchet and clank, No Man's Sky, Torment, Battlefield 1, Deadpool, Divinity original sin, Resi Evil 7, Just Cause 3, Sonic Mania, Steep,Tearaway, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

There is probs about 3 I will not go back to and can be crossed off. I don't think there is much that really interests me from now until the end of year so hopefully I will be to put a dent into it.

Currently playing Beyond Two Souls. Liking it much more than I thought I would after not getting on with the controls on Heavy Rain. They feel better in this game although they can still be problematic when navigating in tight spaces or when playing the stealthy missions.

There are some really standout action scenes which I found really exhilarating to play, which I wasn't expecting at all. Will most likely get Detroit: Become Human at some point.

After I cleared some of my sidelog of course. ; )

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oh yeah, Beyond TS is firmly in my backlog and I have considered starting it many times. I enjoyed Heavy Rain on PS3, but I don’t thing it’s worth revisiting as I’d rather experience something I haven’t played yet like Beyond and then later Detroit, like you. Hopefully the price for Detroit gets a heavy discount on Black Friday or something. Your ‘sidelog’ (has a good ring to it doesn’t it?) shares a few from mine too, like No Man’s Sky. I was tempted to put that back in last night too since it’s supposedly much better since I played it at launch, but ultimately I went with Aloy instead.
I’ve eyed purchasing Divinity OS many times also, and it was recently heavily discounted in the PSN sale (maybe like $15 or something as I recall) and I was tempted to buy, but it looks like a very long game and I just have too many others I’d put in front of it right now.
I’ll put in a plug for Ratchet & Clank though - it is probably only about a 15-20 hour game just to get to the end, and it’s great fun. If you stalled in the middle, it’s not likely to be as hard to get back into as say, a huge epically long game like DOS, JC3, or one of the Soulsborne games that are unforgiving if you’re out of practice. Tearaway would also be in the category of a quick one to knock out, but you kinda have to be in the mood for that one. R&C is just fun no matter what your in the mood for. It has it all - humor, shooting, platforming, good story, beautiful graphics, etc.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

stinkyx

I just finished Celeste with my wife...man I haven't cursed like that in a while, lol. There's a couple annoying parts toward the end that were tricky enough that I declared the game a "0 out of 10" (got a angry look from her on that)

Any other 2D games or platformers anyone can recommend that are like that game? Preferably without any shooting involved. Was thinkin' about Swords of Ditto next as the wife-time game.

Also, I've got ONE TROPHY LEFT in Fighting EX Layer before that sweet, easy platinum, but it involves spamming super moves for literally 7+ hours in training mode (or otherwise training naturally for enough time to rack up 500,000 damage dealt...really, really, really dumb). If it wasn't for the fact I haven't been this close to a platinum in years, I'd have given up by now!

Make it a great day!

PSN: tearatherflesh

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I fired up Ratchet and Clank the other day actually as I think I'm quite near the end now. It is a fun game no matter mood I'm in. I can be a very 'moody' player, so to speak but some games I can play whenever. Tearaway I liked but every time I fire it up I need to draw something and I can't be bothered with it.

I'm trying not to buy anymore open world or longer games until I clear some of the ones I've already started. Which is one of things that has put me off Yakuza 0.

Think I got Divinity Original Sin for something like £8 on the ps store last year. Not played much but i did like what I played of it. Before I get back to that I wanna finish off Dark Souls 3 DLC (just got the final bosses to go, I think) and Bloodborne DLC (only at the very first lamp).

@smelly_jr Have you tried Rayman, Shovel Kinght, Rain World, Spelunky and Super Meatboy? Not sure if the last two are on PS4 mind.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

@RogerRoger Yeah, to relate to your post about relearning the controls for UC — the funny thing was the game I most recently have been playing is Yakuza 0 and the common button punch scheme for the melee that my fast twitch muscle memory had been trained to do was: ‘square, square, square, triangle.’ I used that over and over in Y0. So unfortunately when my fingers automatically went to work during an attack from a Sawtooth or a Snapmaw they went to that reliable melee combo, only to make Aloy ‘crouch, stand, crouch, stand’ while she got pummeled. 😂

I have no words, so instead, here's a YouTube video of a UK comedian who sums up everything we're talking about perfectly.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger 🤣 Oh my... that is so hilarious. Hilarious because it’s true! Lol
I know I’ve seen this guy before. What’s his name? I have to look up some of his other stuff.

I find it so funny because his morning I switched back to Yakuza 0 for a play session and during a fight I wanted to switch battle styles, so what did I press? Well, L1 of course, because that’s the way Aloy switches weapons. 😂 Fortunately that the guard button for Yakuza, so no major harm done.

Jaz007

@RogerRoger That was hilarious. I've pressed R2 to go faster a lot of times because of Assassin's Creed. Then it does something else. Or the other day I think I was playing COD, can't remember what exactly, but I kept pressing L1 and R1 to try and aim and shoot because my brain went back to playing on the PS3 for some reason. It took me a moment to realize what I was doing wrong.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@Th3solution His name is Dara O'Brien. I don't usually like UK stand-up comedians, but he's one of a few exceptions, because he's a huge nerd in a kinda cool, everyday way (he doesn't just speak about gaming all the time, and hosts some science-based television shows as well). He's probably best known for hosting a topical comedy panel show called Mock The Week.

My brain defaults to L1 and R1 being things like "secondary fire" or "grenade" (after, as @Jaz007 notes, they were primarily "aim" and "shoot" during the PS3 era because of the slightly-less-grippable L2 and R2 triggers of the DualShock3) but sometimes they'll randomly be "reload" or "roll" and grenades will be mapped to square or triangle, whilst circle is where I'd naturally go to roll. The amount of times I've gone to do something perfectly innocent and ended up pitching a live incendiary at some innocent folk's village hut... I mean, they're digital civilians and all, but I still feel awful.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

Am playing Fallout 4 again. Still had some unfinished business left, it's called "Far Harbor". It's funny how you can experience a game in a new way after not having played it for over two years.

Suddenly I'm noticing how great some of the game's music is. But also how boring the lack of difference in monsters is.

Anyway, I'm having some fun. The game's only a 6.5/10 to me, but it's just gaming comfort food. It's easy, addicting and has some good moments. Typical holiday title.

Kidfried

Shupec

EVE Online is one of my favourites games of ever
MMO, PvP game.
The future, travel between solar systems. You start as a pilot and captain of a small ship. You can upgrade it, buy another ship. You can become a miner, a pirate, you can join a corporation. You can become a Skill Injectors, Plex and ISk trader - you have many options.

The game is very time-consuming and understanding and learning to play in it takes a few months. In my opinion, 9/10

Shupec

KALofKRYPTON

@Shupec Nicest looking animated spreadsheet ever...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Shupec

Yes, there is a lot of truth in this joke EVE deviates from typical MMO patterns and there are actually a lot of digits and calculations

Shupec

RogerRoger

So I'm nearing the end of my slow, Photo Mode playthrough of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and, with only two chapters and the epilogue remaining, will likely finish it this evening.

It remains an incredible experience, but I'm starting to understand what people were talking about when they said that it isn't the best "game". The controls are spongy; there's a disconnect between your input and Nate's actions which, whilst beautifully animated, aren't exactly immediate. Perhaps that adds to the realism, but coming to this directly from Rise of the Tomb Raider has been, at times, a bit of a chore. The only time I've felt truly in control has been when aiming and firing a weapon (perhaps where it counts the most, so okay) but otherwise I've had to remind myself several times of Nate's limitations, and it's caused one or two cheap deaths along the way.

For the first time ever, I've also noticed how frustrating it can be when you're standing in an area, waiting for your AI partner to trigger progression. At times, Sam (it's almost always him) will just do a lap of the crate he's supposed to push towards you, or walk away from it to gaze at a painting for thirty seconds before walking back and saying "Oh, hey, maybe this crate?" Again, all very cinematic and realistic, but it doesn't make for the best gameplay, especially on this, my fifth playthrough.

I was always a strong supporter of the series and its approach to storytelling and gameplay, but something's changed. Maybe it's me, or maybe I've just played them all enough.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy was gonna be next, but now I'm thinking I'll play something else.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I remember thinking that Chloe handled better than Nate when played Lost Legacy. There was a several month separation between the two games, so it’s hard to say for sure, but yes, Nate has that heaviness and slower feels to his movement and you’re right, compared to Lara Croft and Aloy, is downright sluggish. But I haven’t gone back to play UC4 (I rarely replay games) so I’m curious what I’d think after playing LL.
Slightly off topic but just a random thought: my favorite character to play as it relates to ease of movement and quick response to the input is probably 2B. So deft and easy to maneuver. Aloy is up there too. Also Ratchet. And I have a feeling Spider-Man is going to join that club as well.

JohnnyShoulder

The Old Hunters DLC for Bloodborne. It's so good! The old Hunters are fun to fight but quite tough for someone that hasn't played it for ages.

Th3solution

@crimsontadpoles Yeah some of the side quests are a little odd or less engaging than the main story. But I’m pretty sure they all will be available on subsequent playthroughs and (not sure which playthrough you’re on, but sounds like the first) the second playthrough may actually be a better time for mopping some of those up to break a little bit of the repetitiveness that can hamper it. But definitely don’t give up on it and get through all 3 main playthroughs to experience it all.

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder Those bosses are SOOO hard! Base game felt like a Ubisoft game in comparison.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic