Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 6,460

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy To be honest, it’s not even because of the ending to that chapter, I just really liked the area you go through with them. The letters you find from Ish are some of the best storytelling I’ve seen through collectibles, they really put games like Horizon to shame. The suburbs were great too, I like being able to nosy around so having loads of houses to go into was great.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

If you're the type who likes collecting all the armour sets @Draco_V_Ecliptic ya may end up having to rejoin it a few times. There's some iffy drop rates at times for certain items. Least there was for me 😅

Oh the Ish letters were pretty great @nessisonett can't deny that. Those were quite compelling. Didn"t think much of the rest though myself... But at the same time there was something that made me wanna see it through.

The Winter was where it really shone for me and the following chapter I found enjoyable too. The uni isn't terrible either!

Oh I don't doubt that regarding Injustice 2, quite interested in Hellboy and TMNT @Th3solution myself. Not to mention scarecrow voiced by Robert Englund!.

I'll definitely consider giving it a whirl at some point and so far... Injustice 1 isn't bad at all in the story department as you and @RogerRoger have said. Even Supes has been alright.

Just got past the halfway point and playing as Old man Deathstroke.

One thing though.

I know Flash runs super fast and all that and can go through time... But "The cosmic treadmill" and needing to "vibrate at a certain frequency" for interdimensional travel?

I presume that's how his powers must work in the comics... that just sounds rather daft voice acted in the serious manner that it is

As for me...

Untitled

My copy of The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel arrived just in time for the weekend!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

It is indeed @Ralizah I just took it.

... Well I did 25 minutes ago at least

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

It's... not the prettiest looking game @Ralizah I'll admit. Considering it's from such a small company though and a PS3 port it's good enough for me.

Music's rather good so far & I quite liked the opening track/cinematic. Character portraits are rather nice and clean & the battle system seems fun.

I was genuinely surprised by the fact there was an actual manual in the case for this. 50 pages or so and even has a few jokey comic strips in the back about the characters.

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ys VIII looked sort of like an upscaled GameCube game, but the game itself was excellent otherwise.

It comes with a manual?! I really only see that in Limited Run releases anymore. Very nice touch.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

The little comic strips (There's 14 of them) even have right to left reading @Ralizah (Despite the rest of the manual being left to right)

Untitled
I'd assume it's just a reprint of the PS3 manual... so the second one might have a manual as well at the very least

The cover is also reversible. The artwork on the other side looking very similar to the original PS3 cover.

It's not bad at all

RogerRoger

This morning I (finally!) started The Last Guardian.

Right from the start, I'm totally in love with Trico. I haven't played much, but I've found him as responsive as any real animal would be. He's simply magical. I'm really bonding with him, and his occasional hesitations aren't annoying me (yet; again, only played about an hour).

It's a good thing I feel this way about the game's star, however, as the rest of the experience is supremely underwhelming. The camera and movement controls make me feel like I'm playing with my DualShock4 submerged in a vat of treacle. The graphics are laughably last-gen; the resolution had me checking whether I was wearing my glasses or not and yet, somehow, the framerate tanks whenever we see any tall grass blowing in the wind (and I'm playing on a PS4 Pro). The unchangeable control scheme is also backwards and therefore forever broken. It's one of those layouts which looks good and semi-logical on paper, but ends up being counter-intuitive after decades of commonality. At least there are incessant pop-up prompts to remind me how to jump, as it's gonna take me a while to re-map my brain.

Luckily, I'm somebody who enjoys older games, so I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm playing on my PS3 and, in that light, The Last Guardian shines a little brighter.

Trico will pull me through this. He's too adorable not to, but still... yeesh.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

crimsontadpoles

@RogerRoger Trico is adorable, easily my favourite part of the game. I petted it a lot, even when it wasn't needed.

I'd be curious to read your thoughts on the rest of the game once you've played it. Personally I had mixed feelings with the game, and it's my least favourite out of it, Ico, and Shadow of the Colossus. But it's still a game worth playing, and others rate it highly.

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles Same here; every time I called him into a new area, I stopped and petted him. I don't want him to think I'm a bossy so-and-so. I need him to like me!

Yeah, I can see the seeds of disappointment for some (particularly considering its convoluted development backstory, which I followed at the time). Trico is difficult to stay mad at, but I think I'd have expected way more from this at launch; that being said, this is my first Ueda game, so I don't have the same metric as other, more long-term fans of his work might've had.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yay! I’m not surprised that Trico quickly found a place in your heart; I thought that would be the highlight for you, and I’m glad I was correct. I absolutely agree that there are technical and mechanical aspects of the game which hold the experience back such as graphics, color palette, and controls. I think you’ll soon grow accustomed to the last gen feel of the controls and set up. And I feel your bond with Trico will only deepen, so it’s a good sign you are off to a good start. 😄

Back on the subject of game performance and development, you may have read my comments before on this, but it’s actually interesting to note that the PS3 build for the game (that had to be scrapped when it changed to a PS4 game) actually had a slightly more complex set of Trico animations and movement, supposedly. So yeah, I think the game could almost be considered last gen. Although it gets more complex as you move through; and also - some of the simplistic nature of the environments and archaic character movesets for The Boy are actually conscious design decisions I think. I think Ueda has never intended his games to handle like a standard third person action game. All the games have a similar older “feel” to the controls of the protagonist, except with the remake of Shadow of the Colossus Bluepoint tried to modernize them and did so with some degree of success.

Also, I just had to comment about how you’ve already immediately joined the camp which feels Trico is male, which actually is a point of great debate. There is a faction that have examples from the game to support Trico being female. There are rather extravagant theories out there on the internet for when you complete the game 😄. I’ve typically referred to Trico as a “he” also, and I think that’s the prevailing thought among fans.

Edit: I would argue that the male or femaleness of the creature is purposely left open to interpretation, as much of Ueda’s game elements are. I think he wanted us to project ourselves into the game and it’s characters. It’s also partly why “The Boy” is never named.

Hope you continue to enjoy it and look forward to more of your thoughts!

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Cheers! Glad to know Trico remains centre stage; that only makes me more determined to continue, to see what he'll do next (because sure, okay, the Boy is an interesting protagonist to a degree and I do quite like the personality conveyed through his animations but, as far as I'm concerned, he might as well be a faceless stick figure whenever Trico's in the room).

Funny you mention the colour palette, as that's the one aspect I actually didn't mind; having looked at a lot of screenshots and whatnot, I just figured it was an artistic choice, and one in-keeping with what I've seen of Ueda's previous works. It's early days, though, so I'll see how it goes.

I had your review in mind when starting, and you actually helped me when I got stuck, as I recalled you mentioning that Trico sometimes needed to be calmed down in order to progress, and it was the only thing I hadn't tried when I reached the first lightning cage. It's why I was keen to collect a bit of information about the game before starting, as the whole "figure it out for yourself" approach is something I wish I could love more, but frequently end up frustrated by. Had I not stored away that little nugget of information from your review, I'd have been on the verge of a rage-quit thirty minutes in.

It's an interesting mindset to adopt whilst playing, and makes the game feel even more unique to me than it perhaps should (my aversion to Shadow of the Colossus already on record). Again, it's the success of Trico's digital realisation which provides the power here, I think... and yes, he is male, to me at least! It's because his mannerisms and quirks are most certainly modelled on those of a domesticated dog, and my default setting for dogs is to say "Who's a good boy, then?" until I'm told otherwise.

Will stick to that assertion and leave the internet theory rabbit-hole until I've seen the credits roll, but thanks for the heads-up, as I'm always interested in exploring unanswered questions!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ha,Ha! I added an edit which simultaneously that says basically the same thing you said regarding Trico’s pronoun 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

icecube

*****, where has the PS4 Tomb Raider s been all my life?? Can't believe I skipped these. Definative is glorious and I can wait to play Rise. Prob only 3 or 4 days away from beating Definative.

I'm really, really enjoying this. Didn't realise it was a full reboot either. Guess I spent more time with Uncharted and didn't feel the need to check out TR. My bad.

icecube

Thrillho

@RogerRoger I’m also glad you’re enjoying the vibe of TLG. It’s definitely a game that has its flaws but is something quite different to anything else on the console and I always enjoy games that try something new.

I never really thought about Trico’s gender before as it has no baring on the game (a bit like finding out in Harry Potter that Dumbledore is supposed to be gay).

Thrillho

kyleforrester87

@RogerRoger if you are playing on Pro, it is better to set your PS4 to 1080p mode and then relaunch the game, the frame rate is really bad in 4K mode but this forces it to run at a lower res, which helps the frame rate. Or at least it did back at launch.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger As someone who usually trades games in when I've finished them, I find it strange that The Last Guardian is still sitting on my shelf. It must have really struck a chord with me, and looking back it's probably one of my favourite games of this generation.

It definitely has a big old last-gen hangover though. The physics are as bizarre as Ueda's previous games (I found both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to have weirdly floaty protagonists which took me ages to get used to) but I think you'll soon get used to it.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Hope you're enjoying what is and remains one of my best experiences on PS4. Not because it's such a perfectly crafted total package, but rather because it did a few really cool things, that I'll probably won't forget ever. Flawed and great, like MGS5 too.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic