Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 6,460

Th3solution

@nessisonett You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but I think it will get better for you; and I’d even agree that the middle dragged a little for me too — so much that I took a break from the game for several months. When I finally went back to it I really enjoyed it much more. Mostly because I started to use all the different tools and weapons. The variety of how to approach the enemies with different tactics was the saving grace for me on the second half. The difficulty of the enemies ramps up significantly also in the second half so you have to be more on your toes and use all the different strategies. Simultaneously, the story goes from the plodding slow tale to a more interesting one and really starts to pick up the pace toward the end.

So, I wouldn’t be surprised if you, like me, ended up enjoying the latter part of the game much more than the middle.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Skoda

nessisonett wrote:

I decided to go back to Horizon as I haven’t gone near it in months. I don’t think any open world has caused as much fatigue as this one and honestly, it’s just OK. I’m going to beat it but it’s got possibly the least interesting gameplay I’ve played in a long time, the various tools just do nothing for me. I’m not a big fan of RPG-lite mechanics in games, either go the whole hog or just make it an action game because the health bars and levelling system aren’t engaging in the slightest. I wish I liked the game more but I just don’t see anything that elevates it above a 6 other than the pretty graphics and one of the best photo modes I’ve seen. I think I would have more fun if it was just a Pokemon Snap sequel and I could focus on taking pictures.

Edit: For the record, the opening 5 or 6 hours are incredible, I loved the Nora lands but afterwards it just dumps you in a massive empty world with lifeless NPCs, forgettable quests and collectibles that amount to ‘go to X and press X’. It felt like a massive dip in quality after those initial hours of the game.

yeah horizon dawn is super overrated. i dont get it. i know ill get heat for not liking some big name games like persona 5, god of war, last of us etc. but this one, i think its the most overrated of them all!

Skoda

Th3solution

@Skoda Hmmm... what’s your favorite game? (Out of curiosity). You’ve been pretty critical of some very highly rated games. It’s fine to have a differing opinion; but I’d be interested in hearing about a game you enjoy and can praise. Otherwise it ends up sounding like you just hate everything, which I’m certain is not true. Otherwise why would you keep gaming? Surely you have something you like.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tobiaku

Got a PS4 pro last week. Started playing this Monday. Bad first experience that will stick with for a while, dunno if it was the console or the disc, but my Japanese release of Kandagawa Jet Girls won't start the story mode. Always get an error and kicked out of the game, so gave up on it in the end.

Currently playing Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash (got the Japanese Sunshine box release), so far no problems. And the game is fantastic. Done a bunch of story missions dor all the teams.

Tobiaku

andreoni79

I need a little help on the tech side: I'm playing The Last Of Us again right now and I've tried different audio settings (I've no sorround...) but I still have the same problem: as soon as an NPC turns the corner, it sounds like the voice comes from underwater and I can't understand what it says... Any suggestion?

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Skoda

because last of us is story driven game, whats the replay value?

Skoda

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 Turn the subtitles on?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Skoda Not a lot unless you’re trophy hunting I suppose. I’m thinking of a replay before the second game to go through the story but I haven’t played it since the PS3 days.

Thrillho

andreoni79

Only now, at my third playthrough of TLOU I noticed an error with localization: the verb "to play" in english refers to many kind of actions while in italian there are many different verbs: one referring to play a game, another when referring to play a music instrument, another when you play a part ecc.
Ellie, watching a chessboard, use the verb "suonare" which is the italian for "to play a music instrument". That could happen only when translators and dubbers work without watching the scene. Hope this won't happen in the sequel.

Edited on by andreoni79

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 Because I'm allergic to subtitles, I often feel my heart sink when I realise a game's audio balance is off-kilter (or simply not made for my particular choice of home set-up). Whilst I've never played The Last of Us, I've played many a game where dialogue is muffled because a character or NPC has turned around, walked away, etc. and it's frustrating as heck. No matter how much I lower sound effects and music sliders, sometimes it's inescapable; seems to be most common during the latter PS3 era, as developers bundled in on the idea of games being playable movies.

Whenever I play a new, story-driven game for the first time, I grab headphones so that I've got the best chance of catching everything (don't mind missing snippets during replays, when I broadly know what's going on and can therefore fill in the gaps).

Of course, none of that will help if the localisation is making the kinds of mistakes you mention! I wonder what kinda tune you could get out of a chessboard...?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@andreoni79 I find stuff like that fascinating. Translators should really be given context for that exact reason but they must be so careful when it comes to spoilers getting out, especially when it comes to games like TLOU!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger As much as I hate subtitles, if the sound is continually that bad there are times I would rather not put headphones on, I usually give in and put the subtitles on.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder That's fair. Even with headphones, there are times in some action games where no amount of volume-tweaking is gonna help (case in point, I missed a couple of mid-fight quips during a particularly busy brawl in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions earlier).

I just hate how distracting subtitles can be, for me at least. Particularly during our current generation, where your average HUD is already cluttered with a myriad of teeny fonts.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

I play every game with subtitles and honestly don’t know any different. Skyrim had them on by default when I first played it and my mind just doesn’t work that way while playing games, I don’t take in audio well. That’s probably why minor errors stand out to me.

nessisonett

boots up REmake
“I wonder why I haven’t played this in years?”
leaves save room
“Christ” as there’s a Hunter camped outside and gives me a bloody heart attack
quietly closes game

Edited on by nessisonett

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. I'm always baffled when people can't remember what game they are currently playing. If you are an OAP then you have a pass. Everyone else, sort it out! 😂

Th3solution

@nessisonett @RogerRoger @JohnnyShoulder @andreoni79 I prefer not playing with subtitles because it can distract from seeing the characters and on screen action if your eyes are focused on the bottom of the screen. I have also found times when the audio dialog delivered by the voice actor or actress is slightly different from the subtitle. I can only assume it occurs when the actor is going off script and improvs a line and the transcribers don’t pick up on it. It can be off-putting and pull you out of the scene if it happens. I have occasionally enabled subtitles if the accents are hard to understand or if I don’t have my headphones on.

But yes, headphones ftw! I hardly ever play without them. It’s much more immersive to me and audio quality is significantly better.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I have quite a beefy soundbar and subwoofer, yes headphones are more immersive (in some games) but I find the sound quality better win my setup. I only usually use my headphones when I'm gaming in the morning so as not to disturb my neighbours, plus I don't like the feeling of having them clamped on my head all the time. There are not that many games that fully utilise stuff like 3D Audio and then you need the headphones that support the tech too.

Octane

I'm currently playing through The Last of Us again. Just reached the Fall chapter. I played it on easy when it came out I think. It's a bit harder than I remember. I expected to breeze through it, but I keep running out of bullets. I'm pretty much always stocked up on resources and items, so maybe I should use those more often.

Don't know if anyone remembers the hotel in Pittsburgh, the one with the elevator drop and the generator in the cellar. That part got my heart racing, it's just as scary as I remember it to be. Managed to avoid all the clickers and the bloater that spawns after you turn on the generator, but it was still very intense lol.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic