Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 6,460

BearsEatBeets

@LieutenantFatman I let some deaths go but will confess to reloading if a favourite squaddie gets surrounded by unveiling a group of enemies on their last move. Basically the more potent and successful a squad member becomes the less likely I am to let them die.
It will be interesting how attached I get to the fixed characters in Mutant Year Zero.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Thrillho

@BearsEatBeets It's been a while since I've played it but the game is all about NOT getting into fights. You need to try and draw enemies away as best you can and surprise attack them (ideally with silenced weapons). Setting your team up for an ambush on one enemy and being ready for onslaught if you get heard is vital.

There are some ridiculously powerful enemies but you don't have to kill them for the most part. Making sure you spend time scouting out the map before attacking is also important so not to end up with a group of enemies you weren't aware of joining in the fight.

Fun game but tough. It also ends just as the story seems to get interesting!

Thrillho

BearsEatBeets

@Thrillho I'm managed to pick off one or two in previous encounters but with this one I can no longer pick anyone off as my weapons don't do enough damage to kill anyone outright. Unless I'm missing a way for 2 characters to shoot simultaneously I'm doing like X-Com with people in range in overwatch then best odds taking the ambush shot.
I'll persevere and keep trying so thanks.

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

I had a really strong urge to play X-Com 2 again, especially as I never finished my War of the Chosen playthrough (can't remember why but something special must have come and diverted my attention). I installed it and all my expansions and decided to start from scratch with a new WotC campaign and I'm noticing cutscenes and missions I don't recall the first time round. Mainly a truce between 2 factions with named characters (in the middle of it now) which look like they might join my troops. Needless to say I'm really enjoying it.

Also I discovered there is a spin-off coming out in a week or so which looks really interesting. It's called X-Com Chimera Squad and looks to mix up a lot of the gameplay. Only PC at the moment though.

BearsEatBeets

Thrillho

@BearsEatBeets The “truce” bit sounds like part of the DLC. Is that where you then get to sound troops out on missions you don’t control?

The new game is PC only for the foreseeable future (similar to when XCOM2 came out).

Thrillho

BearsEatBeets

@Thrillho Yeah it's definitely part of WotC, and I remember doing stuff to gain rep with some factions and having a reaper in my squad. Just never had this specific quest with 'Mox' and 'Dragunova', had a load of cutscenes and got a new trophy when I completed it, odd. I noticed when I re-downloaded WotC it had 2 parts to it. I wonder if it's possible to only download part of it and that's what I did the first time? Oh well, doesn't really matter just means I'm enjoying even more.

BearsEatBeets

Thrillho

@BearsEatBeets I really liked the changes that allowed you to put specific upgrades on your character that are outside of their normal class. You can end up with some ridiculously overpowered people, especially if they are then equipped with a weapon from one of the Chosen!

I remember being quite fond of this little combo;

Thrillho

Black_Swordsman

Alien: Isolation - The Collection. I have just started the main game and find it intriguing so far, I've played it before but not completed it so it's interesting looking at it again through fresh eyes. I can't wait to get on to the DLC that was included in this bundle, Dark Souls Remastered on NG + is also in my backlog, I'd like to play through that at least until Anor Londo so I can get the Great Lord Greatsword, but I don't know if the gauntlet is worth running a second time.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Yeah for some reason the only Soulsborne DLC with trophy support was Bloodborne, and that was because Sony published it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

Got my mum started on Uncharted 1, she’s loving it so far. It’s on Explorer difficulty as the shooting isn’t brilliant to be honest and a higher difficulty will just cause frustration. It’s a franchise she can play through at a decent pace though!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Nice. I never played the first game in the series and have not heard great things about it. UC2 has some of my favourite gaming set pieces ever though so I hope she enjoys the series!

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho It’s really quite dated. I played it on PS3 though and the remaster has fixed quite a few of the problems from what I can see, namely the fact you no longer get pestered by motion controls. I hate the big pop up that came up every time asking you to use your SIXAXIS™

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

I played through the Trials Of Mana demo last night.

I chose Angela as my main character and decided to have a girl power team with Charlotte and Riesz as my secondary party members.

I was quite enjoying it at the start... But the further I progressed through it the more I started to dislike it.

I was quite sympathetic towards Angela at the start, her story was easily the best of the backstories I played through, but by the end of the demo I was just rolling my eyes as she became the typical, kinda shallow and bratty, teenage girl thanks to her voice actress and the dialogue.

Charlotte's backstory was honestly pretty dumb and Riesz's was just as bad (Hell maybe even worse as the whole kingdom are just blithering idiots there apparently).

The "story" kinda had a Dragon Quest vibe which was unashamedly old school which... Yeah I'm not terribly fond of that at all. That's definitely a personal preference thing though.

The english voice acting wasn't great at all to be honest. Couldn't say I liked the Japanese voices any better either... but the fact I turned them on at all is quite a knock against the english voices.

... The shop keepers randomly dancing was completely unexpected and hilarious to me though!

The combat was decent enough I guess. It looked pretty decent too. Can't say i'm interested in trying the full game though.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's a shame we don't get more demos nowadays. They've started to make a bit of a comeback but, given how your thoughts changed over the course of your experience last night (coupled with the rising cost of gaming), I reckon they can be pretty essential at times.

Ah well, bullet dodged! Would you maybe get it in a sale, when it's a fiver? Or was it a hard pass?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

jdv95

@stuzster i would say yeah.

it's not THAT long (10/12 hours for the story) but it's a fun game. perhaps you can crank it up to 15/20 going for the side content.

you also get different powers depending on what path you go (good or bad) so it has some replay value.

jdv95

andreoni79

@stuzster For that price you should surely try it.
I got it when I found a retail version for € 8, but honestly I found it just mediocre: the whole game felt like a big side-mission and the city looked as a stage where everyone was repeating the same role again and again...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@stuzster Do it, great fun game to get for that price.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger wrote:

Would you maybe get it in a sale, when it's a fiver? Or was it a hard pass?

Hmm ya know @RogerRoger I'm not quite sure 😅

Some of my annoyance with the story might partially be because I did just come off the incredibly trope ridden Shining Resonance Refrain and I'm all troped out at the moment for the anime/JRPG side of things.

I could play the demo through again with the three gents and maybe have a bit of a better time with it but ShogunRok/Robert's review is pretty much what I expected the full release of Trials would be like based on the demo (Rob obviously just has more of a postive view about the whole game).

So maybe a pass for the moment but I also don't think I'd ever get it without a deep discount... I'm definitely in no rush to see if I think any better of it!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic