Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 6,458

RR529

Started up Wolfenstein Cyberpilot this morning. Set in an alternate 80's where the Nazi's won WWII, you take on the role of a member of the resistance who repairs & pilots captured advanced Nazi weapons systems.

Missions seem to be broken up into two parts. The first part sees you in a lab/workshop setting where you have to tinker & reprogram the mech, and then after a brief control tutorial segment (which is set in a rad 80's digital datascape), you take it out on a mission proper. Each mission seems to put you in control of a different piece of tech.

The maintenance segments are really cool in theory, however I'm finding them clunky to navigate with the Dualshock (I imagine these segments control much better with the free movement afforded by the Move controllers). As it is tools such as the crowbar are often just out of my reach (like the camera looses sight of the light bar as I try to move the controller to my left & side). I can usually fumble my way through them (and it's not a big deal so far, as these are pressure free segments), but they're not ideal with a controller.

Once you're up and running however, the playability is much smoother, as controls are much more in line with a traditional shooter (you do aim via controller tracking, though as levels thus far have been pretty linear, most enemies are generally to your front, and you can turn with the right stick, so I haven't had any issues with it). You can call on drones to repair your craft at any moment by interacting with a lever just to your right, but it's close enough that I haven't had any issues activating it. A bit more of an issue is an in game emergency weapon button to your left that you can't just press, you have to make a harsher movement to indicate that you're really smashing it. This is a bit finicky to activate (at least with the Dualshock), but I haven't ran into a scenario yet where I've had to make use of it, so it hasn't gotten in the way either.

Graphically it does look really good (probably one of the most detailed VR games I've played), but that comes with the caveat of some distant object blurriness (at least on a base PS4). I was actually prepared for worse because the first mech I repaired was so detailed that it was even a bit blurry up close, but once in the gameplay mission proper I haven't found it to be any more of an issue than in any other FPS I've played.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 I was always curious how Wolfenstein would translate in VR, so it's nice to read a mostly-positive impression of it (particularly after the abysmal Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, as it gives me hope that the trilogy will someday end on a far better note).

Here's hoping the DualShock's limitations don't become an issue the more you play, mind.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jessiex

I'm watching a playthrough of Final Fantasy VII Remake

Can't wait for PS5!

Jakky3

Quarantine gave me a lot of time lol currently I'm just cycling through God of War (new game+ is awesome), NBA 2k20, and Spiderman. I just finished Shadow of the Colossus a few weeks ago and I'm planning to start on the Uncharted 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0 given by ps+ real soon when I get even more bored lol

Jakky3

ApostateMage

Control. What a strange and wonderful game this is.

ApostateMage

JohnnyShoulder

@Jessiex The title of the topic is 'What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?'...

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RR529

@RogerRoger, I actually haven't played any proper Wolfenstein titles, so I can't compare it to those, but on it's own it's been an interesting experience so far.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 Ah, okay. Put it this way; what you're describing sounds waaaaaay better than the last "proper" Wolfenstein game released (and the last spin-off, come to think of it) so it's a step in the right direction! Hope you continue to enjoy it, the more you play.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

crimsontadpoles

Mega Man 8 (as part of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2). Just started it, did the beginning area, then defeated my first robot master, Tengu Man.

So far, it feels fairly different to previous games. The extra cinematics give it a much camper tone, and almost seem like a parody at times. The voice acting sounds very different to how I imagined the characters would sound in previous games, with Mega Man now sounding like a little girl.

Tengu Man's stage wasn't great, as some parts felt slow and dragged on, such as slowly floating up in a bubble while dodging spikes, or an easy side scrolling shoot em up section. The boss battle took me 5 attempts to beat. Tengu Man seemed tricky at first, but once I figured out how to dodge his moves (run away from two of them, and jump over the other move), he was quite easy. He even voices what move he's about to do, making it easy to know when to jump. He had an annoying air ball move that pushed the player towards the sides. As the sides have bottomless pits, that move can either be mildly annoying or certain death depending on where it hits you.

I'm complaining a lot, but I am enjoying it so far, as I do really enjoy Mega Man games. It does seem to be one of the weaker Mega Man entries, so hopefully it'll improve later on.

NickWba20

ApostateMage wrote:

Control. What a strange and wonderful game this is.

Fantastic game and overlooked for the most part by to many people. Sadly it didn't sell very well meaning the chances of a sequel are slim.

NickWba20

PSN: NickWba20

JohnnyShoulder

@NickWba20 I think the game has sold quite well actually. The game had a much smaller budget most people think ($33 million) so did not quite require the same huge lifetime numbers as many other games with bigger development budgets.

As far as a sequel goes, it's not up to Remedy.

The team can develop a sequel, but they won't be able to actually publish it without 505 Games greenlighting the project. Remedy only has IP rights, which is half of the puzzle. They need both IP rights, publishing rights, and of course enough funding to make any project happen. It's Alan Wake 2's situation all over again, as Remedy has just been bought by Epic.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ryall

@JohnnyShoulder The IP is the concept. If they own the IP they can make another game in the series. The publishing rights only relate to one game they don’t stop further games in the series being sold to different publishers or self published. Ownership of the new game will start with the creator unless they choose to sell it to a publisher.

Ryall

LieutenantFatman

Put a few hours into Resident Evil Resistance. Good fun if you're playing with a group, anyone else tried it?

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@Ryall My understanding was that 505 Games have the rights to publish anything with the Control IP for the next 20 years, so Remedy and Epic would need to come some form of agreement with 505 if they wanted to publish a sequel in that timeframe. 505 injected millions into development also so would probably explain why such a deal was made. Of course remedy could still technically make another Control game (it would have to be under a project name or something assumingly), but then there would be complications when coming to publish it.

It would be kinda like what happened with the Dead Island series, Techland went on to make Dying Light instead with the publisher Deep Silver farming it out various different developers.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

NickWba20

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@NickWba20 I think the game has sold quite well actually. The game had a much smaller budget most people think ($33 million) so did not quite require the same huge lifetime numbers as many other games with bigger development budgets.

As far as a sequel goes, it's not up to Remedy.

The team can develop a sequel, but they won't be able to actually publish it without 505 Games greenlighting the project. Remedy only has IP rights, which is half of the puzzle. They need both IP rights, publishing rights, and of course enough funding to make any project happen. It's Alan Wake 2's situation all over again, as Remedy has just been bought by Epic.

I listen to Sacred Symbols on YouTube ran by colin moriarty one of the segments is based on reeling off the top selling ps4 games of the month and control didn't feature in there once. It didn't sell well I can assure you sadly as it is very good. I'd love to be proven wrong but I can't see a sequel happening any time soon.

Edited on by NickWba20

NickWba20

PSN: NickWba20

JohnnyShoulder

@NickWba20 Remedy have said themselves that they are pleased with the sales of the game. Like i said because of the smaller budget it does not need to sell gangbusters. I listen to Sacred Symbols too and also most of the other shows, and even they can get things wrong, they even have a section of the show for it.

ApostateMage

@Arugula Were you referring to the absolute awesomeness of blazing through the Ashtray Maze to the sounds of Old Gods Of Asgard?! Amazing that was.

ApostateMage

BearsEatBeets

I've made a start on Mutant Year Zero and I chose the default difficulty setting (named Hard but it's the middle of 3). I've played plenty of X-Com in my time so thought would be fine. However after leaving the Ark for my first proper mission it seems like I've hit a huge difficulty spike. I've picked up the third team member and spent what scrap I had on a new gun/upgrades yet seem ill prepared for the encounter. All the enemies have health bars about 3 times the maximum damage of my gun so the sneaky picking off a few enemies is off the table already. So I can't stop the 'Shaman' calling for backup and making it worse. Oh and the Medi-bot on their side can 'revive' enemies I've killed!?
Suffice to say I died both attempts then decided to turn it off. I'll give it another go later but might have to restart on the lower difficulty. Anyone with tips/advice I'm all ears. Anyway playing this has made me decide to have another go at X-Com 2.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

LieutenantFatman

@BearsEatBeets
Sounds pretty brutal. As I recall the original Xcom on psone (as well as Terror from the Deep) had similar difficulties. If you choose the middle difficulty of veteran, you'd need a fair amount of save scumming to even have a chance or risk total annihilation.

Just walking off the ship on some missions would result in multiple fatalities which of course would quickly lead to survivors panicking or going berserk. The game was enough of a challenge on the 2nd of 5 difficulties, experienced. I would still save scum though, was always amazed at my Dad who never ever reloaded even if he lost an entire away team, ship and all. Which happened a few times.

LieutenantFatman

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic