Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,621 to 1,640 of 1,823

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I hit that milestone today. By that stage I was expecting the requirement to rise again, so my body was ready. I've been saving up the Burning Routes for when my garage was a little bigger, so I'm working my way through them now. They don't seem to increase in difficulty like the other events, so I think I've hit upon a decent strategy...

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Wise move. I had to resort to cheating (ish) for my last couple races.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Genrou

Still plugging away at River City Girls according to my save file I am 54% complete. Still enjoying the game but the screen lock sections of the game are beginning to get annoying. They feel overly cheap like the game decided to throw them in when you either are doing too well or have to much money saved up. They are going to be a p.i.t.a to get one of the trophies.

Genrou

KratosMD

Decided to take a break from Death Stranding and play some more of Trails of Cold Steel III. I've really missed playing this game and I'm glad that I took a break from it because the city exploration part can get a bit repetitive as they update the map fairly often with different dialogue from NPCs and added side quests. So having not played it for a while made it feel fresh again.

I just got done with chapter 2 of the game (clocking in at roughly 45 hours of playtime, which is insane considering how much left of the game there is) and the ending of this chapter has easily been the most emotional part of the game thus far. It was also really cool with some phenomenal boss fights.

It's fair to say that this game is easily my top GOTY of 2019. It just keeps getting better and better, there's no series quite like it. I keep getting blown away by all the plot twists, it's just so good!

KratosMD

RR529

The Last Labyrinth on PSVR.

I blew through the first 5 or six puzzles in the first hour, triggering the first credits screen, but since then the difficulty has gotten much more stiff (usually taking me 30 minutes to an hour to clear any given puzzle), with a new "ending" popping up every 3 puzzles.

It definitely has a creepy vibe, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kidfried

I'm playing the first Shenmue right now, which is an absolute gem. I played the game before, but for some reason everything is clicking this time.

I especially like the time-based stuff. Sure, the downside is having to wait for some event, but on the upside it feels like you're actually engaging with the world.

It's one of the greats for sure.

On the other hand I've been playing Thronebreaker quite a bit and am now nearing the end, with pretty much everything completed. This game must have been the most overlooked game of last year.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

RR529

Recently started up Batman: Return to Arkham City.

Not too deep into it yet, but I will say it is fun zipping across the city via the grapple gun & gliding (much more freeing than Asylum was), though the atmosphere has noticeably taken a hit as a tradeoff (the area is obviously run down, but it's not nearly as oppressive/horrorish as Asylum).

Not sure which upgrades to obtain first though, as there's more on offer than Asylum, especially given you have to upgrade Catwoman as well.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 Just in time for the rumours surrounding the next Arkham game to resurface! Here's hoping you enjoy it, although it remains my least-favourite game of the series (as you've already noted, the atmosphere and overall tone is severely lacking).

I'd always recommend alternating combat and gadget upgrades with health and armour, because you'll definitely need the latter two the further you progress.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Oh wow, so I'm not the only one who was kind of... underwhelmed by Arkham City.

It's not a bad game, but it does lack the atmosphere and level design of the first game, and, imo, despite the Bat-tank segments (which I didn't really mind, personally), Arkham Knight felt like the game City should have been in terms of the open world game design.

Although I still need to play Origins and Blackgate.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Nope, completely agreed. Arkham City suffers for being a "bigger" sequel in almost every way. There are moments of genius, which I won't elaborate on here in case those playing it for the first time are reading, but the whole thing feels a bit aimless until the final five minutes, when it becomes clear that we're in the middle of a trilogy. Arkham Knight is a much more coherent, focused experience, even with the Bat-Tank (which, like you, I enjoyed enough for what it was).

Arkham Origins is basically Arkham City, but with a much better and more consistent atmosphere and character tone, and featuring a self-contained, satisfyingly-complete story. Proof that games don't live or die by gameplay alone.

Blackgate is its own special thing. So unique, it's almost impossible to compare. Whether that's good or bad, well... that's up to the player to decide, I'd say. I like it.

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

After a deep breath and a moment to come to terms with the fact that it's actually happening, I started Shenmue III. Early impressions are good, it seems to be roughly what I was hoping for, without getting too carried away; namely a graphical improvement on the first two while retaining some of the stilted dialogue of old.

Only one sticking point so far: In an attempt to please the patient fans, it feels like too much has been stuffed into the opening. From what we saw of Bailu Village at the end of Shenmue II, it's a tiny settlement in the middle of nowhere. To emerge from the cave and find toy capsule machines and lucky hit boards knocking about feels jarring. I'd have happily waited until a bigger settlement later in the game to encounter these old faves, they feel oddly out of place here.

I'm being very picky there though. This is clearly a game I'm going to enjoy a lot, and I'll be playing it well into the new year.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Thrillho

@Ralizah @RogerRoger I felt the same way about Arkham City. The claustrophobic nature of Asylum made it more atmospheric and feel like you're trapped in there with the inmates. City had so much unnecessary traversal around the city.

Thrillho

Arugula

Started Outer Worlds. Not too happy with it so far but hopefully I'll get into it more. After playing Death Stranding I have to say, the graphics are pretty dreadful, really muddy. The "humour" isn't really working for me and it throws a lot of game mechanics at you very quickly. So yeah, first impressions aren't good.

Arugula

Kidfried

Arugula wrote:

Started Outer Worlds. Not too happy with it so far but hopefully I'll get into it more. After playing Death Stranding I have to say, the graphics are pretty dreadful, really muddy. The "humour" isn't really working for me and it throws a lot of game mechanics at you very quickly. So yeah, first impressions aren't good.

You are naming every one of the things I feared for with this game. Gonna think it over some more then!

Kidfried

Splat

Picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider dirt cheap on Black Friday. The gameplay is pretty much just more of the same from the last two games but not a bad thing in my book. The story is pretty meh tho. I find myself playing on my phone during cutscenes which is unlike me.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew | Twitter:

Kidfried

@Splat I hated Rise's latter half of the story, so... it will be hard picturing me enjoying this one if it's worse.

Hope it gets better!

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula I've always found the graphics and animations a bit off in this game. The reviews I've seen have looked a bit better than the previews a few months back though.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I found the story in Shadow a better than Rise but not as good as the first rebooted game, but I've always thought that it felt more personal for Lara in the first game. I really liked her character development in Shadow, she comes across not so one dimensional as in previous games.

The balance in the gameplay is much, much better in Shadow with less emphasis on shooting waves of enemies and more on the puzzles in tombs and cripts.

If only the supposedly bad story is holding you back from playing the game, my advice is to push those concerns to one side as you will probably be kicking yourself once you start it. I thought it was awesome game and would be a shame for you to give it a miss because of something like the story.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

There is no longer a good time to release a game. There are only less s**t times to release a game

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Splat If the story isn't grabbing you, fair enough, but at least there's plenty of tomb-raiding goodness to be had within, especially if you got the Definitive Edition with all the DLC included. Hope you manage to stick with it and find some small nugget of narrative to hold your attention.

@Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder Even me, the staunchest defender of all things Lara, would agree that the story in Shadow suffers a similar fate and slightly squanders the potential of its first half. There's a heck of a lot of good material in there, and it's more than satisfying enough for Lara herself, but I did watch the credits thinking that the wider narrative "could've been a teensy bit better overall" which, given how hyped I was for it last year, is only natural. Still absolutely worth checking out, not least because of the diversity offered in this small handful of opinions.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Splat @RogerRoger @JohnnyShoulder Totally agree that the story in Shadow of the TR is somewhere in between the first and the second game, as far as quality. But the gameplay and overall world building is probably the best of the bunch. Love those tombs!

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic