Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 6,458

Thrillho

@Ralizah @RogerRoger I felt the same way about Arkham City. The claustrophobic nature of Asylum made it more atmospheric and feel like you're trapped in there with the inmates. City had so much unnecessary traversal around the city.

Thrillho

Kidfried

Arugula wrote:

Started Outer Worlds. Not too happy with it so far but hopefully I'll get into it more. After playing Death Stranding I have to say, the graphics are pretty dreadful, really muddy. The "humour" isn't really working for me and it throws a lot of game mechanics at you very quickly. So yeah, first impressions aren't good.

You are naming every one of the things I feared for with this game. Gonna think it over some more then!

Kidfried

Splat

Picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider dirt cheap on Black Friday. The gameplay is pretty much just more of the same from the last two games but not a bad thing in my book. The story is pretty meh tho. I find myself playing on my phone during cutscenes which is unlike me.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

Kidfried

@Splat I hated Rise's latter half of the story, so... it will be hard picturing me enjoying this one if it's worse.

Hope it gets better!

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula I've always found the graphics and animations a bit off in this game. The reviews I've seen have looked a bit better than the previews a few months back though.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I found the story in Shadow a better than Rise but not as good as the first rebooted game, but I've always thought that it felt more personal for Lara in the first game. I really liked her character development in Shadow, she comes across not so one dimensional as in previous games.

The balance in the gameplay is much, much better in Shadow with less emphasis on shooting waves of enemies and more on the puzzles in tombs and cripts.

If only the supposedly bad story is holding you back from playing the game, my advice is to push those concerns to one side as you will probably be kicking yourself once you start it. I thought it was awesome game and would be a shame for you to give it a miss because of something like the story.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@Splat If the story isn't grabbing you, fair enough, but at least there's plenty of tomb-raiding goodness to be had within, especially if you got the Definitive Edition with all the DLC included. Hope you manage to stick with it and find some small nugget of narrative to hold your attention.

@Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder Even me, the staunchest defender of all things Lara, would agree that the story in Shadow suffers a similar fate and slightly squanders the potential of its first half. There's a heck of a lot of good material in there, and it's more than satisfying enough for Lara herself, but I did watch the credits thinking that the wider narrative "could've been a teensy bit better overall" which, given how hyped I was for it last year, is only natural. Still absolutely worth checking out, not least because of the diversity offered in this small handful of opinions.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Splat @RogerRoger @JohnnyShoulder Totally agree that the story in Shadow of the TR is somewhere in between the first and the second game, as far as quality. But the gameplay and overall world building is probably the best of the bunch. Love those tombs!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution ...and yet moments of the story in Shadow, specifically that moment, are outstanding highlights above and beyond what the previous two games managed. It's almost baffling that they couldn't achieve narrative consistency from beginning to end but hey, I don't work in games, so it's easy to criticise.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, maybe having the focus to make the world that hub-world / semi-open structure hamstrung the narrative flow. In the end, I quite liked the story and it did have its moments, but I’ll always remember the game mainly for its great gameplay.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution True. Do you still plan on getting the DLC at all, perhaps once it's cheaper?

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I might. Talking about it makes me want to delve back in. However, I think I have plenty on my gaming plate right now, so I’ll likely not get around to it anytime soon. Let me know if you see it on a deep sale though.

Kidfried

Thanks for all your thoughts. You are all very right about just setting expectations with regards to the story.

The rebooted series is often compared with Uncharted, but one just shouldn't the same quality of writing, because of that.

I've heard the tomb raiding and world itself in Shadow is better than the previous two games (I find those same sentiments in your posts), which are the most important things for me in a Lara game anyway.

I saw the game today on sale for fifteen. Almost bought it!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Will do! Although now that the Definitive Edition is out there, it's more likely to go cheap, but I'll certainly raise the flag regardless (particularly if its price drops below the Season Pass, which is so often the case with such "complete" editions nowadays).

@Kidfried If you're just in it to raid tombs, you won't be disappointed. I'm sure you'll find the fun!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

I've been playing Ace Combat 7 for the last few days and it is pretty darn difficult.

I went for the normal difficulty with advanced controls (which essentially means you have to bank to turn, like you would when controlling a plane in GTA for example) and have been struggling on a couple of missions.

The sixth sees you having to hit a certain amount of points by destroying vehicles, buildings etc but the target score is pretty high. Plus, there are almost no checkpoints.

I got through most of the seventh mission but then got stuck trying to defeat the final plane who is extremely fast and flies through really dangerous paths. I got taken down or crashed loads but this morning just read that you don't kill him as he retreats after so long which should make things easier!

I still also have no idea what is going on with the story. I'm not 100% sure which side I'm even on when they're discussing the different countries

Thrillho

Riparcade2

I've been playing 'they are billions' again.. The campaign was released on ps4 a few days ago. I really like it. Considering i bought a PSVR on Tuesday i guess that says something about it.. That's all i have to say..

Riparcade2

JohnnyShoulder

Played a few hours of The Outer Worlds... and I'm liking it so far. Games have not been clicking with me recently since I completed Spider-Man, but I was into this pretty much straight away. The dialogue feels expertly written, and is acted and delivered flawlessly. It has made me chuckle on a few occasions too. It is not the best graphically, but I personally really dig the art style and it can be really colourful in places, a nice change from the brown wastelands found in Fallout 3 and 4.

It's good to hear your actions heavily impact the outcome of the game, a review I watched earlier said that he and a colleague had very different paths to follow because of the choices they made.

One negative thing I found is that the load times are a bit in the long side, especially going in and out from buildings. Fortunately there is not loading for every building.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

I'd like to say I was having a little go/test of Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night and Divinity: Original Sin 2...

... But my love of physical media and it being near christmas has meant my Black Friday orders placed last week still haven't arrived yet 😅

Oh well... Least I have Soul Calibur VI still 😁

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Tasuki

Went back to Modern Warfare for a bit to check out the new maps. Also played a bit of Spyro to check out the remote play on my laptop.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Mine took about 5 days to come through. This time of year is when Amazon Prime comes in handy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic