Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 6,458

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Not really - there's a check-box option in the menus that just removes the majority of HUD elements (not markers for your companion Terminators or waypoints) but that's it.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Boo. That's kinda lazy, although it's better than nothing, I guess.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger It is a shame. Potential for some great shots!
From what I've read over the past few months, the game is essentially abandoned now too, so any more patches are unlikely.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

I started playing Concrete Genie today. I have just cleared the first area, which is more of a tutorial and setting up the game mechanics and objectives.
I certainly will be posting full impressions on the new review thread when I complete it, but I thought I’d post a couple first impressions.
I’m a little bit torn so far. In some ways the game seems phenomenal and in some ways it seems undercooked. The art and graphical design is both breathtakingly beautiful and jarringly dated appearing. The game does some innovative and technologically amazing things with painting custom murals that remain as permanent fixtures in the world which I’m sure is no small feat development wise; yet the basic character movement and simple jumping animation is almost alpha level looking in contrast. Reviews on the game ranged widely from 4-8/10 and I guess I can see why (although 4/10 looks to be ridiculously harsh from what I’m experiencing so far) But quite simply put, the game has a unique feel and great ideas and the core painting gameplay is well implemented and fun to do. I’m looking forward to continuing my playthrough.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Oooh nice to hear your early impressions about Concrete Genie @Th3solution . Wasn't too sure what to make of the game myself admittedly, plus I'd much prefer Medievil as my smaller 8 hour+ Sony joint

Had a little go of the Disgaea 4 Complete demo.

Troy Baker is still a delight as the bumbling Valvatorez with his love of sardines.

Only did the tutorial fight with the prinnies mind you... I'll have a proper go tomorrow.

The voice switching however for Valatorez is increcibly jarring in this which I understand is due to the additions they had in the vita version?
Only happened in the battles so far mind.

Much as I like Matt Mercer he cleary doesn't sound like Troy in the slightest... Why didn't they redo the entire voice track?

My journey through Drangleic and Dark Souls II:SotFS is going well too. Got to the Harvest Valley.

The boss in the Huntsman's Copse is sooooo stupidly easy I don't feel bad at all using the npc summon sign of Creighton to try and make it a bit harder with the hp boost they get.

Covetus demon is going down! And so is Mytha, the Baneful Queen!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@Th3solution Interesting. This is a game I am for sure picking up, and rather sooner than later, but I"d love to hear some more impressions on it before I dip in

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Thrillho I read your post the other day about "fluking a hole in one" thinking this is ever gonna happen to me.

I was trying for a bit those golf challenges, but I discovered I'm pretty bad at them. Having trouble even landing normal shots within range on easy.

I was trying the advanced challenge sidee-quest and then... It happened to me

Shot 8 and 9 of the advanced challenge I gor two in a row. One by the back wall and one via the side. They were the most unlikely of shots. So yeah, totally fluked those.

I'm just happy I made it at all.

Which reminds me, we need an official Yakuza series thread.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Thrillho

@KratosMD Are you pushing for the vacant mod role?

But that’s fair enough seeing as the 3-5 remaster was announced since that thread started. Although you can never have too much Yakuza!

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Well seeing as I'm off work for the week (More or less) thanks to half term I'm gonna put Dark Souls II:SotFS on hold so I don't burn out on all the rpg's I've been playing

Gonna spend some time on Rayman Legends and the Crash N.Sane Trilogy

Also completely unrelated but I like the avatar pic change @KratosMD ! It's only just started showing up on the mobile version of the site now!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Gremio108

I've been a bit quiet on here for the last couple of weeks, but there has been some gaming going on. I finally started Shenmue II and I've finished the Hong Kong section and have just travelled to Kowloon.

Unlike the first Shenmue game, which I played to death back in the day, I've never really experienced the second instalment outside of a few brief goes. As a result, I was both nervous and excited at starting it, and it seems like both emotions were justified. It has aged badly in places, just like the first one, but if you can learn to ignore its issues (QTEs, Ryo's cumbersome movement, that massively punchable guy who you do the crate carrying with) it can be a relaxing, almost transcendent experience.

I think part of the reason it took me so long to get around to Shenmue II was because, at the back of my mind, I felt like it was all in vain, given that Ryo's story would never be continued afterwards. Now that the third game is happening (and is nearly here) I've completely immersed myself in it all. As a result, my hype levels for Shenmue III are rapidly starting to build. At this rate I'll be driving around in a forklift truck and spending all my wages on Space Harrier within a week.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Good to hear positive thoughts about Shenmue II. Whilst I still build up the courage to get started on the remasters (one year and counting!) my brief dabbling with the first game on a friend's Dreamcast means I know what I'm getting myself in for there, but I hadn't heard much about the sequel. To know that you, a life-long fan, have comfortably relaxed into it gives me hope.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Yeah, you'll be fine. For me, the big thing was picking the right time to play it. It's best played when you're not in a rush, and are feeling forgiving. It can be very calming if you treat it as some sort of bizarre meditation game. The QTE's can do one though, to borrow your phrase. They were tolerable in the first game, but the sequel ups the quota significantly.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't usually put "calming... meditation game" and "QTEs" in the same sentence, so it'll be interesting to see what impact they have but yeah, I've been waiting for the right, uninterrupted period of calm to really settle in and enjoy Shenmue.

Glad you're enjoying it, and that it hasn't destroyed your love of the franchise or hype for Shenmue III.

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Ha, yeah, it is a strange combination of soothing and infuriating. Whenever it starts to annoy me I go and play darts or buy capsule toys for half an hour.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a game in the same way I'm looking forward to Shenmue III. I guess Sonic Mania was kind of similar. I just can't wait to get the game and lose myself in it. I was going to wait until Christmas, but I'm considering day one, if only for the inevitable hilarious bugs.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 I'll be with you on day 1 for Shenmue 3. It is my one and only game which I funded through Kickstarter. I've never played a Shenmue game before and I have no idea whether I'm going to like it or not!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

I spent quite a bit more time with Concrete Genie this weekend. I’m still not finished but I’d guess I’m about halfway. I’m finishing up the underground sewer section, as a reference for anyone has played it.

I am really torn with this game. I have so many criticisms of the game. It has a lot of glaring weaknesses and profound faults, unfortunately. However it is simultaneously brilliant and fantastic. That sounds weird, I know.

I’ll do a full review later after completion with the details of why I describe the game with such diametrically opposed praise and criticism. I will say that when I’m not playing it, I’m thinking about it and anxious to get back into it. There are some itches that it is obviously scratching for me.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

Th3solution wrote:

I will say that when I’m not playing it, I’m thinking about it and anxious to get back into it. There are some itches that it is obviously scratching for me.

@Th3solution That speaks volumes to me, more than any analysis ever could. You're obviously enjoying it, regardless of its objective faults, and that's great to hear. Hope it sticks the landing!

@KratosMD I do love a good in-game reunion. The way you're describing the team-ups with your previous class members has me fondly thinking of whenever a familiar face pops up in something like Dragon Age Inquisition or Mass Effect 3. It's that extra layer of emotional investment that elevates things above being "just a game". Sounds pretty decent!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, I’ve experienced a range of emotions during my 4 or 5 hours with the game so far. At times I get upset at the game or mumble under my breath at it when I experience one of its shortcomings. Then I’ll have moments of pure slack-jawed wonder and giddiness when I see some of the great things it does. In addition to it invading my idle thoughts when I’m not playing, another bit of evidence that it’s doing something right is that I have been using it’s photo mode. I know that’s one of your particular interests. I’m typically pretty lazy about doing screenshots and I don’t think about it while I’m playing, but the game is slow paced and the creativity aspect of it breeds a desire to capture some of the images.
I will try to post some of my screenshots eventually; I know I’ve said that before but never have. I just need to work out the whole process first. So is the best approach to upload the images to an online web image storage site via the PS4’s web browser? I’ve never attempted that before but I think that’s what I was going to try. I don’t want to fiddle with memory sticks and jumping things back and forth to a computer.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic