Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 141 to 160 of 6,458

andreoni79

I bought me Tearaway Unfolded which is on sale now (€ 5,99).Looks brilliant and smart!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

Playing Rime which is fantastic!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

Ah, RiME... so many emotions...

Went back on today and got the platinum for Virginia, so was torn between three options this evening. I could catch up with both episodes of Batman: The Telltale Series, I could start replaying Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, or I could finally start playing Ratchet & Clank.

So, naturally, I mucked about with the photo mode in Batman: Arkham Knight for two hours before switching my console off for the night.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Although I haven’t played Sleeping Dogs, I say crank up R&C! Very fun game. The 1st TT Batman was relatively good, middling game imo if you like the TT genre, but it’s definitely a matter of taste. R&C is pretty universally praised.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Elodin

Enjoying Elex. I can't stop exploring. Everything about the game is saying this should be mediocre at best, but I can't stop playing it. It's the oddest thing.

Elodin

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Only ever heard good things about Sleeping Dogs.
I started R&C with my 10 year old last week (as in, she started it and passed the pad every now and then). I've played the original plenty so never bothered buying it. I must say, that was an error. It is stunning and great fun.
Rather than playing Batman TT - I watched a YouTube series on the first part. Looked great and the story is really nicely told. I really do like their Batsuit design.

As for me, finally put the WipEout disc back in the slot! 2049 done and going through 2050 later. May try a few trophies but want to head through HD and Fury before I worry too much about Elite passes on the zones. Maybe online if if there are people out there.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Decoy_Snake

Got Sleeping Dogs sat ready to play just can't be bothered same with Deadpool

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@andreoni79 Unfolded is a gem! Brilliant transition from the Vita.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @KALofKRYPTON Thanks for the assistance, guys!

I played the first Telltale Batman when it was fully released, across two evenings, but I can't remember anything other than the broadest of story beats, so will play it again ahead of the finale of the second episode being released next week (I think it's next week... it's soon, anyway). It was also an option because I've been in a bit of a bat-mood lately, thanks largely to extolling the virtues of Arkham Origins in the megapoll, but I've scratched that itch today by indulging the much-shorter, much-more-fun Batman & Robin.

So, this evening it's a flip of the coin between Ratchet & Clank and Sleeping Dogs. As much as your praise helps and makes me keen to try the former, I'm mindful of several factors, primarily that I'm a Jak & Daxter fan and a recent attempt to play through that entire series stalled after Jak II, which really doesn't hold up as well as the original. As I understand it (having never played any of them; happy to be wrong), Ratchet & Clank is a shooter-based platformer, and it was partly the addition of guns that turned me away from Jak II. As such, I'd like to put some clear space between these current feelings and not only picking back up with Jak 3, but also giving Ratchet & Clank a fair shake. I'd hate to pre-judge it, because I am really excited to see what all the fuss is about.

Hmm... having written all that out, I don't think there's any need to flip that coin. This has helped, though, so I'm still really grateful for your assistance!

And yet I'll still probably end up taking screencaps in Arkham Knight.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Lol, no problem. Definitely give R&C a fair shake. If that means cleansing your palate of cartoony shooter platformers in favor of grim realistic criminal beat ‘em ups for a while, then definitely do so. I would hope anyone trying R&C would find the mindless fun in it that I did. The shooting mechanic is largely what the game centers around with its crazy guns — like the disco ball that makes enemies dance, to the sheepinator that turns them into sheep. Crazy but tight shooting along with other gadgetry, like magnetized boots, jet packs, and such are the focus, so you won’t feel like the shooting is shoehorned in as an afterthought. There is a lot of humor and light heartedness so in that way it’s probably the anti-Sleeping Dogs, which looks like it’s pretty intense and dark. Furthermore, supposedly the combat in Sleeping Dogs is very BM Arkahamesque, so that might hit the spot for you better right now.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger No worries - As we're bereft of new episodes of The Flash and Legends this week, I'm still happily heading back in to WipEout Omega Collection.
Now planning On getting as much of the 2048 bits as possible before going back (again, again) to do more on the Vita version.
Along the same lines (it's probably been reported already), the WipEout HD(PS3) servers are shutting down at the end of this month. Nearly 10 years. Not a bad innings.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thanks, yeah... I think it's always much better to elevate your mood to something lighter after a darker, more complex experience, rather than come down off something happy and joyful and disappear into the shadows. Now that you've mentioned the possibility of disco sheep, I'm certain that I'll love it!

I actually did start Sleeping Dogs again last night. My cup of tea went cold, which is always a good sign. I reckon it's got one of the fairest, most helpful openings of any open-world sandbox. The first handful of missions and signposted side quests all do wonderful jobs at introducing you to the gameplay mechanics; there's never a moment like in Red Dead, where a brief bit of tiny text flashes up randomly in the middle of nowhere to say "Oh, don't forget! You can also do this, this and this! Okay, good luck!" Everything is just clear, concise and simple to understand, so by the time you finally realise just how varied the game is, you're not overwhelmed by it all.

The combat is very Arkham on the surface, yes. You punch with square and, when an enemy flashes red, you counter with triangle. Long before Arkham introduced environmental takedowns, grapples and other contextual elements, however, Sleeping Dogs had them down. It's never as smooth as your average x100 Flawless Freeflow, but it all works pretty well. All of my brawls thusfar have been varied and engaging.

Perhaps most importantly for me personally, however, is that I'm able to play as a decent man. I've never been able to play Grand Theft Auto games because you're cast as a criminal; in Sleeping Dogs, you're an undercover cop, so whilst you do mix with some very unsavoury elements, the storyline and characters are sympathetic to those who deserve sympathy and some of your more questionable actions can be arguably justified in serving your larger, honourable goals. Nothing is glorified and most of the darker, more gruesome gameplay elements are optional. In fact, I'm taking great care to play it right; each mission gives you a Cop Score (for driving safe, causing no property damage, not killing) and a Triad Score (for smashing things up, destroying property and people, gaining a reputation) and I'm doing my utmost to keep the scales firmly tipped in favour of the former. I really like that mechanic. It's a more refined, more obvious version of the honour system in Red Dead.

And yet I'm wearing the Agent 47 DLC outfit, complete with bald head and barcode. Go figure.

@KALofKRYPTON WipEout is great fun but, because it's essentially the definitive version now, it makes sense for them to shut the old servers down. I've got the Omega Collection, but never had the PS Vita game. Does it suit a handheld better, in your opinion?

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I will get Sleeping Dogs at some point! ;-D

I did have my PSTV running the old 'white-list' hack for a short time, so had played it on a tv previously. Being there at launch and also being the first thing I played on the Vita, and at this point certainly being one of 'those' Vita people - I'd like to say that it does suit the Vita better; But, in reality, the bump in graphical quality, frame rate and playing on a bigger screen with a DS4 does the game wonders. There's nothing wrong with it as a vita game - runs at a good clip, controls perfectly well and despite the sub-native resolution is never difficult to look at in any way - but as with HD before it, going from an amazing handheld experience to a cleaner, smoother, lovingly put together console version is actually nothing short of a joy. I certainly hope at some point to be able to play it running on a pro in 4K.

I'd say had I not played the Vita version extensively before-hand - going in to it after playing Omega would probably be a little jarring - still a great game though.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Cool, thanks for your thoughts and quick reply.

I'm one of those folks who booted up Remote Play on his PS Vita just to see what it was like, and then never used it again, so if there's something I'd like to play in bed rather than in the lounge, I'll get the actual Vita version... and the key part of your answer is that the Vita version runs, controls and looks fine. That's good enough for me, and I might look at grabbing it next time I'm doing a back-catalogue scan for anything I might've missed over the years.

Really don't want to sound like I'm bragging here, apologies if it does, but I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K Sony tellybox and yeah, WipEout does look particularly gorgeous. That being said, I've always liked the compact, detailed Vita display (I have one of the first models, with the OLED screen) and I have several games on both handheld and console that I'll always prefer playing on Vita (Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate springs to mind, as does Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which is kinda why I asked about WipEout because, for me, racers do seem to work particularly well on handheld).

I've hardly played WipEout on PS4 extensively... actually, I feel a little guilty, as I'm still only on 10% trophies and I've had it since launch last year. In my defence, 2017 was a very busy gaming year!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I've had some decent success with Vita remote play - but it is a little pointless for me. That, and the fact that it runs significantly better on my X2 Tablet than the Vita.

No brag, you've got what you've got. My LCD Bravia is pushing 10 years old now - and long may it continue! I'll replace when it stops working - until that happens, I've no need for a Pro.

Fat Vita is where it's at!

I'm only on 4% - I got it on release too - played through the 2048 season and enjoyed every minute. Then Something else came out!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah... irony of ironies, my OCD prevents me from allowing my handheld consoles to leave my apartment (not to mention the insanity of leaving my PS4 switched on, with a disc in, whilst I'm in another room) meaning that "portable gaming" isn't really a consideration to begin with, beyond being able to play stuff in bed.

When you've got something that works and you're comfortable with, I'm with you; long may it continue! To be honest, unless you're sitting right on top of a 4K television, the upgrade isn't worth it until you need a whole new display anyway.

Oh, goodness yes, the second generation of Vita is just a cheap-looking plastic nightmare. I might not have many games for it, but I remember getting my Vita and thinking it felt and handled like the highest-quality piece of technology I'd ever owned. Just navigating the menus feels like some kind of executive privilege, and that's a big part of the experience and joy for me (wow, that makes me sound so bizarre).

The beauty of the Omega Collection is that it isn't the biggest HDD space hog, so I'm happy to leave it installed and drop in periodically between other games... but then the problem is that I've invariably forgotten how to play, and WipEout gameplay has always demanded that the player actually take notice and be involved. The trophy list is also pretty tough stuff. Most of the silver and gold is locked behind an ability wall that I'm simply in no danger of breaching unless I find a good week or two to really concentrate. Hopefully, with this year's new release schedule being much lighter for me, I'll find some time over the summer or something.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I don't mind taking stuff out, but I am pretty precious with the Vita.
The slim is OK - but despite most claims that the LCD screen doesn't really detract from it really are nonsense. The LCD is fine, and if you were going from a PSP it wouldn't be much of an issue - but that OLED!

Being a 'life-long' WipEout player - I'm still relatively poor at the higher end of things. It is all about setting aside some time to get stuck in. Shaving times down and nailing those optimal routes does need practice.
That said, while mooching about last night - one of the 2048 Vita players I raced with Platinumed Omega within the week of release!

I fired up 2048 on the Vita last night while I had Omega on. Forgot how much I'd actually completed. Going from Omega to the Vita actually is pretty hard. The frame rate dip bites more than I remember and the Vita stick is such a sensitive, short-throw compared to the DS4, it took a couple of races to acclimatise.

KALofKRYPTON

All hail the PS Store wishlist. I tend to forget it's there - just had a look - totally missed that Jamestown+ Complete was in the sale. £3.29!!! Rude not too.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yes, the repetitive grind of WipEout is often what forces me to take a break, and then I end up playing something much easier to execute and forget all about my previous efforts. How somebody managed to get the Omega Collection platinum trophy within a week... they can't have slept, they're a machine. Must be. Kudos to them!

Thanks for the warning about going from PS4 to Vita. I'll bear that in mind if I ever do end up grabbing the handheld version. Might get it alongside one or two other Vita games, or replay a few other things so that I'm used to the console in general. I'll have a Vita Month or something.

Last night I was back on Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition doing a bunch of street races, which I'd never really indulged before. I was attempting a particularly chaotic motorcycle race with eleven other bikes all crashing around me, jumps and spins and narrow streets, when Khachaturian's Sabre Dance came on the radio (I only ever listen to the classical music station). It was one of the most perfect moments I've ever experienced, the timings of the action to the music was dead-on and I was grinning from ear-to-ear... and then my elation was matched by crushing self-frustration because I forgot to hit the Share button and capture it. D'oh!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic