Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 6,458

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I thought the first BioShock ran out of steam after the twist, Infinite felt more consistent all the way through.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

Having played a little bit more of Onrush today, I think I'm getting into it now. The training levels felt like the takedowns etc were what the game was all about but the game modes in the Origins "level" showed that it helps with winning but isn't the be all and end all.

The Origins matches were quite simple but good fun. Limiting the choice of vehicles also helps me not be too indecisive.

Thrillho

Tjuz

@Thrillho @Th3solution Both of you absolutely weren't kidding when describing the greatness of the ending. JUST finished it after spending my entire day playing it. I'll have to let all of that sink in for a while before I can write some proper thoughts on the game overall. One of the most batshit insane things I've seen in gaming, and in all of the best ways. What I can say is that for me personally, this game was leagues above BioShock 1 and 2.

I'll be sure to return for Burial at Sea at some point soon, but for now I want to keep myself to the alternating games/genre tactic!

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Tjuz I’m glad you liked it. That was my sentiments exactly when I completed it. It blew my mind and was a great payoff. For some reason there are people out there who didn’t like the end. Perhaps they thought Ken Levine got too obtuse with it or made it unnecessarily shocking, but like I said, I would rank it as one of the best endings in all of video gaming.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Tjuz @Th3solution I said at the end of my Hellblade review that some games stick with you after you finish them and this was one of the games I had in mind when I wrote that. I thought the reveal was even better than "WYK" from Bioshock 1 (although that was such a well known twist by the time I came to play it that it was spoilt for me).

Thrillho

Ralizah

LOL I'm really on a tear with the PS4 exclusives as of late. While I'm finalizing my thoughts on inFAMOUS, I started up my next game, Detroit: Become Human, and put a few hours in. Just as that was my first inFAMOUS game, this is my first David Cage game.

It's... definitely interesting. It seems like you have to live with the consequences of whatever you do on your initial playthrough. I'd be interested to know if you can go back and explore different narrative paths later on without having to replay the entire game. If these flowcharts aren't pure window-dressing, then it seems like the game's scenarios can differ pretty radically based on what choices you make. Although I'm still a bit skeptical: Telltale games tried to make you think your choices had dire consequences on the direction of the story, but they really didn't. Your choices didn't really matter. I'm wondering to what degree that's true of Detroit.

Narratively, I'm... conflicted. On a purely "cinematic" level, this is probably one of the more engaging games I've played so far, and I'm definitely invested in some of these characters (not Markus, unfortunately, and, I'll confess, the entire "I Am Markus!" rebirth scene had me giggling). On the other hand... I dunno. There's a certain lack of self-awareness here. Also, the abusive father character's mood swings come on so suddenly it's almost comical (one second he's calm, the next he's flipping tables over). He felt more like a parody of a self-loathing, abusive parental figure than anything. Which obviously isn't to say there aren't loads of unpredictable, erratic, and violent fathers out there, I just... I dunno. It felt like a bit much a bit too quickly. I would have appreciated if that particular strand of the narrative had been developed a bit more. And, of course, the game is often nakedly emotionally manipulative with its music, which takes me out of things a bit. I don't need sad violins to signal what my feelings about a situation should be.

The game seems like it's tackling the subject of discrimination and questions about artificial intelligence, but the treatment seems a bit obvious and mawkish so far, and isn't keen on asking probing questions about the situation. If I had to sum up the game so far...
Androids = Good
Humans = Bad

And, good god, this game loves to pop up charts and icons and messages and everything else at you, no matter what's happening in the game.

I do like it, though, and I think I'm going to like it a lot more than Until Dawn overall. Some framerate wobbles aside, the presentation is just phenomenal, and I actually like some of the characters in this game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Tjuz

@Th3solution I can definitely see the argument for it trying to shock you too much, but it's not the experience I had in the slightest. It was confusing at first, buf after reading up on some explanations it all makes complete sense. I think that's the best kind of this sort of ending you can have. Be blown away by the total mind**** of it all, remain in confusion on what the hell happened for a bit thereafter and then realise it all makes complete sense and the game has been hinting at this throughout. It was just such clever writing. Not just the reveal, but also all the foreshadowing throughout. Incredible.

@Thrillho This definitely will be a game I'll probably remember for the rest of my life! I won't give Hellblade the burden of having to live up to that expectation, but I'm excited to hear it had a similar effect on you. I also had the WYK twist spoiled beforehand, but I would have to agree that this is even better. I'm surprised this isn't the BioShock twist people talk about when mentioning the franchise, but I'm glad it wasn't or it would've been spoiled for me as well!

@Ralizah Ohh, I'm happy to hear you started Detroit! One of my favourite games. I believe you can return to specific chapters without having to play through the entire game again. As for choices mattering, that's absolutely the case in Detroit. Your characters have many possibilities to just die and disappear, and especially towards the end there's multiple completely different scenarios your characters can find themselves in. At the very end, there's a ton of possible endings that all have to do with the choices you made getting to that point. It's definitiely the best incarnation of the choice/consequences shtick I've seen.

I would also have to say that I agree with Markus being the weakest playable character in the game, although his storyline gets somewhat more interesting as time goes on and stuff starts to hit the fan. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it so far despite some qualms with the narrative presented up to this point, and I can't wait to hear your final thoughts and ending after finishing the game.

Tjuz

Th3solution

@Ralizah I’m excited for you to play Detroit. It’s definitely a different style of game. But @Tjuz said it well already, I think you’ll find quite a bit more depth in the game than in your typical Telltale fare. As can be expected of a game with a narrative style this ambitious, it has its quirks and times when it doesn’t quite work, but imo those moments are minor when compared to what they achieved overall with it. Anyways, I won’t reiterate what Tjuz said, but I am also very curious to hear how the whole Detroit experience sits with you after you complete it.
Yeah, with HZD, then InFAMOUS FL, and now Detroit — you’re gonna have to play Spider-Man, God of War, or get on the Hellblade wagon maybe. Maybe Death Stranding, or Persona 5 Royal? We gotta keep this PS4 exclusive run going. 😄
-
-
-
But this is a good opportunity for me to post some of my first impressions of Valkyria Chronicles 4. I’ve been playing it a little here and there over the last 2 weeks.
I had mentioned that I played the first game back on the PS3 several years ago and I loved it at the time. I also played the 2nd game on the PSP and found it decent. I’ve been tempted to play the remaster on PS4 of the first game, but I usually prefer to play games from my backlog rather than replaying games. But within the first hour of booting up VC4, I felt right at home and just like I was playing the first game. In my memory, this game plays just like the first one, which is a good thing. It was kind of like putting on an old comfortable shirt that you’ve worn for years and fits just right. I felt right at home in the menus, the book presentation, the leveling up and training mechanics, and of course on the battle maps. Even after several years, I was shocked how quickly the playstyle came right back to me. That’s either a testament of how many hours I spent ingraining the gameplay by perfecting and S ranking the maps in the first game, or of how intuitive the developers have made the game. Because it’s definitely not because of my memory for such things (which is typically pretty lousy; usually if I abandon a game for a couple months I have to redo the tutorials to remember how to play it again)

Anyways, so the first impressions are very positive and the game seems to have the perfect level of easing you into the game mechanics. So far I like the characters pretty well and the story seems like it’s going to be good; I think I’m going to like the characters. Claude’s voice actor sounded familiar and it kept bugging me until I finally realized he does a lot of audiobook narration. Raz is a little bit annoying, but he’s growing on me. I’m only in Chapter 3 (probably about 5-6 hours in) so I still haven’t learned the reveal yet about Kai’s backstory but I can guess. I like her character a lot. The diversity of secondary characters is where this game is really going to shine too, I think, compared to the first game.
As I get along with the game I’ll post more. I’m mixing it in with Spider-Man, so it will be a slow-burn for it I think — especially since the game is pretty long. I’m going to savor it though.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tjuz

I tried to get into Dishonored 2 for the fourth time since release today, and once again I had to quit it out of boredom. I don't know what it is. I adore Dishonored and it is one of my favourite games, but I cannot for the live of me get invested in this sequel. There's just nothing there that makes me want to keep playing, and I can't fault the gameplay considering that's still very good. I can't fault the story because I only ever played two missions. I do prefer the Dunwall setting to Karnaca, but surely that shouldn't be enough to ruin an entire game for me. I really don't get it. I think it's about time I just give up on trying to play it. The one explanation I can come up with is that I played the first game years and years ago, and maybe my tastes have changed enough that I even wouldn't enjoy the first game were I to play it for the first time now. I can't make sense of it otherwise!

So instead I decided to start The Council, which, if my memory serves me right, I had a small exchange about with @Th3solution when you started it earlier this year. Hopefully I remembered the correct person. Did you ever end up finishing the game? I know you were struggling to stay interested after finishing episode 1. I didn't have much time left today and only played the first 2 chapters, but I am very much enjoying it so far. I really like the concept and implementation of the RPG system, and the story is intriguing. I'm not sure how much choices actually matter in this game, but at the very least it gives me the illusion that I am making choices. I love the confrontations with other characters. They're very tense despite just being dialogue exchanges. I think this is a game I can really get into. The OCD tics in me do despise the fact that I get locked out of options based on my skills, but I can respect and live with it, haha. Adds to the reason I enjoy the game!

Tjuz

Thrillho

@Tjuz The clockwork manor (or something) level in Dishonored 2 is fantastic so a shame you didn't get there. Some of the other abilities are quite neat too but I found the game a bit "cold" too and never felt particularly invested in it. I did have the problem of insisting on finishing the game without being spotted but by constantly quick saving and reloading which sort of spoilt it for me too (but I know that's my own fault!)

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Tjuz Yes, you did remember correctly — I have played The Council and I do think we had an exchange on the forums about it many months ago.
To answer your question, no I haven’t completed it. However I have made gradual progress. Every month or so I pick it back up and go through a couple chapters. And every time I come back with similar impressions — that is, that the game is very innovative and unique and the RPG mechanics coupled with a choice based story driven game is a great idea. The implementation works fairly well and the game also feeds my interest in stories of alternate history and historical fiction. ...But for some reason I can’t seem to absolutely fall in love with the game to the degree that I play it long enough to finish it. I’m on episode 4 now, so the end is in sight, but much like you reported there about Dishonored 2, there is some sort of intangible quality the game is missing to really fire me up about it. But I do think I’ll finish it eventually. It’s just that other games and distractions keep popping up. If you do make your way through, please post your thoughts. Perhaps that’s all I need is a forum buddy to share in the experience to motivate me to completion.

paulius300

Still trying to get all trophies in GTSports and playing in spare time Odyssey and Bloodborne

paulius300

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz @Thrillho I too couldn't get into Dishonoured 2 after really enjoying the first game. I found the non lethal style, which is how i played the first game a drag to play, and the other play style it just did not feel right for me. Weird.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

mookysam

It's so much more satisfying playing Dishonored 2 lethally and using every tool at your disposal! By the third level I found it too difficult to not be spotted by guards (there's a trophy for it like the first game, and it's something I managed on the 360 version) so at that point basically decided to just be brutal if I was spotted. It radically improved the experience for me, because where's the fun if you can't use the majority of Corvo's arsenal? Planning an Emily play-through at some point so shall see how it goes.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Tjuz

@Th3solution Ah, it's a shame you haven't been able to properly play The Council all the way through yet, but at least you're making progress here and there. I got up to chapter 5 today, and I must admit I am starting to feel the same way you said you do. I hope there's something that shakes up the story soon, because an entire chapter of just interrogating followed by an obscure puzzle became quite tedious in the end. I do keep almost running out of Effort Points, but just manage to squeeze by usually. It does somewhat annoy me to see the number dropping so low every time, though! And when you start a new chapter, you only get four refilled??? I have a bar of twelve! Use it, game!

@JohnnyShoulder I also play non-lethally, and I echo your sentiment exactly. There's just something about it that's not quite fun, and you never really feel a driving force to continue playing. Feels like I'm forcing myself to play it because I should like it more so than me actually enjoying what I'm playing.

@Thrillho Is Clockwork Manor the one that was in promotional material pre-release, that was all about switching realities or something? I must say that one did look really cool, but maybe I have the wrong one in mind. I do also quick save usually, but even when I started caring enough to do that yesterday it didn't improve my experience. It was like a double edged sword - don't savescum and be annoyed with the fact you were spotted, or do savescum and be annoyed with the fact that you couldn't do it properly, haha.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz It was also taking me an age to get anywhere playing non-lethally. I'm generally quite slow progressing in games anyway, but always feel that I'm progressing something in the game (collectibles, opening the map up, side quests etc). With Dishonoured 2 I felt I was making very little progress with anything in the game. I could say I might pick It up again but I won't. I've got too many other games I can play rather to try and force myself to play something that I'm not enjoying.

andreoni79

For some strange reason, I successfully achieved both the Shadow (never spotted) and Clean Hands (no kills) trophies in all the Dishonored games playing on Hard... Maybe it's because I love to spend time looking for every single inch of the maps and in that way, one can discover many hidden resources and passages. I think the game offers enough powers to play stealthy, and not forget that you can still use sleep darts and chokehold to knock down enemies.
IIRC you can customize difficulty in many ways, lowering the enemies awareness too.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

HallowMoonshadow

I'm house sitting for a friend of a friend... So of course I've spent most my time playing video games (It's my last day of my holiday before returning to work tomorrow) as a snake doesn't exactly need walking or anything (The reason why I've been house sitting the past 3 days)

So I've been trying Let It Die. It's my first Suda 51 game.

It's... actually pretty decent.

Seeing as it's free to play there's obviously microtransactions to support it. Having played it for ten hours over three days it hasn't been too aggressive about that. Yet

The cheapest thing it has is the storage chest in the main base which only had a measly 20 or so spaces in it and I had to use 2 of the premium currency to bump it up ten spaces each time. (Also the high powered gear (not that you can use them right away at low levels) is ridiculously expensive)

But it's been pretty generous with the gifts so it hasn't been too much of a bother, still have 15 of the suckers.

It really reminds me of the game Baroque with the whole roguelikey traverse the tower thing. Especially the industrially like first area. Just no weird mutants... just zombie people.

There's a definite unique tone to it with over the ridiculous gore and japan weirdness i've heard from Suda51.

Except it's not so vague you don't really know what you're doing at all ever and makes a bit more sense unlike Baroque

Also Uncle Death's pretty goofy and I like him. The Netherlands (... Or something around there) english accent he has gives him a unique voice that his radicals and stuff like that is strangely endearing

Untitled

If this was available for £20/£30 with none of this microtransaction stuff or the always online requirement I'd probably get it easily

Also I've downloaded the Code Vein demo. The character creation looks pretty robust! But I'm gonna save that for later

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

Yakuza Kiwami 2. It's the first in the Dragon engine that I'm playing and... man, what an improvement. Everything looks like a cinematic, the fights are better and the whole experience is so smooth. There's no loading time anymore between in and outdoors and it helps to make the world come alive too. Especially when a street fight ends inside the burger restaurant, with the casier hiding behind the counter.

The substories are less meaningful so far compared to 0 and 1, and the main plot could go both ways from here. So, I don't know if this game is better in every regard, but for most part it's exactly the Yakuza experience I want. Will be hard to go back to the original game engine for 3/4/5.

Kidfried

Davehunt

Currently playing Assassin's creed Odyssey just finished the story and found all the cultists I've put 80+ hours into this game and there is still so much more left for me it's 1 of the best games i've ever played and i've played alot of games on PC and other consoles over the years.

Davehunt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic