Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,560

RogerRoger

I'm quietly pleased with myself (well, if "quietly..." means "coming on a public forum and boasting about my mad skillz because I'm really...") after playing the two new Special Assignments in Hitman 2.

They only really use a small corner of each map (Colombia and Mumbai, remixed with new weather effects) and give you a somewhat-straightforward objective, but they make for tightly-focused, short and sharp reminders of everything you love about Hitman games. No matter the tiny footprint, each target still affords multiple and diverse opportunities for mayhem, from disguising yourself as a shaman and carrying out a bogus "blessing" to going along with a con-man's trick so that you can turn the tables on him when he demands you empty your pockets.

What's even more satisfying is the backstory for each mission. I particularly enjoyed the Colombia one, as the target is an American big game hunter who only tracks and kills endangered species, and enables other rich people to do the same. There were several nods to the Cecil the Lion / Walter Palmer case; like all the best Hitman targets, the real-life parallels were obvious, but it made me all the more eager to do a good job.

Within a couple hours, managed to get Silent Assassin ratings on both missions. As long as they keep adding content, I'll keep saying it; this game is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait for the next major DLC injection, but there's a new Sniper Assassin map coming at the beginning of August that'll tide me over.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

On the heels of seeing Spider-Man: Far From Home I thought no better time than the present to finally play Marvel’s Spider-Man. I’m only just an hour into it, but first impressions are favorable. The game has been discussed ad nauseam so I won’t belabor, only to say it’s true how everyone says it feels very ... familiar. Like Batman from the Arkham series except quicker and nimbler. Maybe like Devil May Cry meets Batman Arkham City. We’ll see if it grabs me strongly, but it’s decent fun so far.

Peter Parker’s voice sounded so familiar and it kept bothering that I couldn’t place it, so I had to google it. Turns out it’s Yuri Lowenthal is the voice actor. He is great in the role so far with the recurrent funny quips and youthful exuberance to his performance. And he sounds so familiar because he also is the voice of Persona 4’s Yosuke Hanamura! Such a perfect voice casting. He nails the goofy, funny teenager really well.
As a side note, looking at Lowenthal’s resume’ I didn’t realize how prolific he is as a VA, with roles in Prince of Persia, Fire Emblem, Saints Row, Castlevania, etc.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Yuri's pretty much in everything @Th3solution !

He's like the Sam Jackson of VA's with him doing Ryoji, Pharos AND the main protagonist in Persona 3 alongside all that other stuff!

But he's rather perfect as Peter Parker/Spiderman

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, I didn’t realize who he was until now. A lot of his work is Japanese games and anime which I don’t know as well.

ApostateMage

I'm sure he plays random npcs in GTAV. Immediately recognised Yosuke from P4G when I heard a conversation between pedestrians.

ApostateMage

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yuri Lowenthal will forever be Sasuke Uchiha for me (perhaps his most content-heavy role as he's done it for every episode, movie and game) but I do love hearing his voice pop up. Last time I recognised it, I was walking past a guardsman in Horizon: Zero Dawn and it made me (and Aloy) do a double-take.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy How is Shadow of War? That’s a game that fell off the face of the earth pretty quickly. Supposedly a really good game but I think it was killed by the bad press from microtransactions. I saw a pre-owned copy at GameStop yesterday going for $9 and thought that was amazingly cheap for such a high profile that’s not even 2 years old yet. I didn’t buy though. The first game was good, not great, so I’ve not felt it quite worth my time despite it being supposed better than the first one by a significant margin.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I did play Shadow Of Mordor @Th3solution so I can compare it to that but not a whole lot as I'm only three/four hours into Shadow Of War over the past two days and I ended up dropping Shadow Of Mordor when i played it.

Ten minutes into the game and you lose the dominate power for the most obvious "so you start from scratch/LVL 1" vibe.
Not a fan of "Sexy" Shelob either.

I figure if people are REALLY into the LOTR lore then all this canon defilment will drive ya batty even if this is supposed to be an alternate universe thing.

Talion bores me to tears as a protagonist with his dreary I'm still Human and good ramblings that he's no doubt going to get into from what he's alreay grumbled about.

Still switching to the Elf Lady character skin (I've forgotten the name of her (Haven't met her yet either if she's supposed to be in the main game) but she's got a DLC campaign as the main menu told me) and hearing Tallion/Troy Baker's voice come out her lips was good for a slight chuckle.

Thank goodness there's Celebrimbor about to be so obviously evil like he's the second coming of Sauron to liven things up with his snark and general disdain for Tallion being a mopey so and so. Especially when HE'S the naffing ghost of the pair

Thank F$/# for the orcs too... Just fought a Orc whom was a bard who sang before duking it out with me and earlier there was one who had two heads and was speaking for his "brother" as we fought.

They've definitely improved on the Orcs and the Nemesis system but I can't say how much yet due to the arbitrary story reason of having to get the dominate power back so I can't interact with a notable portion of it.

Still there's a bunch of neat new characterisations for the orcs with more mechanics and abilities for them like trackers who keep following you round the map or defenders with shields etc...

Plus from the skill upgrade screen there's some neat things I can glean like setting up a body guard that can protect you and can summon at any time to fight with you and a shaming/humilating orcs mechanic (For an advantage, betterr loot or something I assume)

I'm not that far in but already the one area of Minas Ithil (which becomes Minas Morgul eventually) is a much larger area (and more varied too I think with notable lamdmarks) then whatever the main place was in Shadow Of Mordor.

It's better then Shadow Of Mordor so far? I don't see it becoming outstanding or pefection, a Good or possibly Great is where I see it being.

I'm enjoying the gameplay more this time around so I might stick with this one. Though It probably helps that this is the first open world type game I've played this year as well!

It's defintely a game you play more for the gameplay... So yeah... Hope that helps!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the early impressions! It sounds about like I expected. Maybe it’ll be something to consider if the mood strikes.

Kidfried

Horizon Chase Turbo.

A few things I like:

• Out Run is my favorite game from before I was born. From what I have been playing so far, this game doesn't even come close to matching that game's style, but I like the way in which it's trying to.
  • The controls are responsive and simple, which is perfect for this style of game.

A few things I don't like:

• The start of each race (when you're in the "pack") feels pretty random and hardly skilled based.
  • Talking about skills, I hate this game's mobile origin. Getting enough stars to continue to the next level feels kinda grind-y, and also kinda pointless, when you're updating your car throughout.
  • Frame drops and loading screens. They both shouldn't be here.
  • It just lacks character.

So, that's 4 things I don't like vs only 2 things I like. This game has kinda been a disappointment after the recommendation on the front page. :/

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah it does sound a little disappointing. Probably a skip for me. So not even as good as the arcade mini game Outrun in Yakuza? 😛

How’s AC Origins treating you?

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Thanks for the warning. I did look up some gameplay and the constant strobing of the road (a graphical, artistic choice to be fair) gave me a headache, but I was still tempted to add it to my Library at some point, just in case. Now I'll steer well clear, pun semi-intended.

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@Th3solution I play Out Run every other week in Yakuza 0. Truly love that game, and Kiryu playing it is amazing. I imitate his moves when he takes place in the arcade cabinet.

Origins is brilliant. Been playing it together with my partner and that's a great way to experience it, taking turns to explore the next mark on your map.

I'm in love with the historical setting in these games, so I'm easily pleased though if it looks alright.

Some systems are a bit too simple if you ask me. Some combat and stealth stuff, just like the variety of quests, should have been paid a bit more attention too. But I'm totally having a blast and looking forward to each session.

Kidfried

Gremio108

@Kidfried Yeah, have to agree with your goods and bads here. It's knockabout fun for a while. Was playing it in four-player the other day and it was pretty funny trying to ram each other off the track. There's a lot of comedy value in attempting to mess up the race for your co-op partner.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Bentleyma

I've had a week off work this week, so I've been playing a lot of Star Ocean - The Last Hope. I'd forgotten how fun the combat is. Blindsiding an enemy is so satisfying. Probably finish it tomorrow and go back to Yakuza Kiwami.

[url=https://psnprofiles.com/Bentleyma-][/url]

PSN: BentIeyma-

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger If you enjoyed No Man's Sky but not so much the grindy feeling of the crafting and the procedural generated worlds, I say give Subnautica a go! It is a mid budget title, so the graphics can look a bit basic in places and there is some slow down occasionally (seems to happen when most often when you jump out of the water). But generally the game looks gorgeous, especially at night when everything lights up.
It feels more fun to play than NMS, as I've been having a good time just swimming underwater exploring. And there is a more consistent threat with some of the wildlife attacking you on sight or when you get too close to them. These are easily identified however, and you can usually swim around them. I've not been able to kill any fish yet, I have knife which only scares predators away but am unsure if you can later on. You catch some of the fish and then cook them for food or craft into water. Most of the materials for crafting are quite easy to find with only the rarer stuff like gold and silver you have go searching for, usually deeper underwater.
When you die you lose some of you items and are returned to your life pod. I think I've only died a handful of times at the most. As long as you prepare enough water and stuff you should be ok most of the time.
The game is very atmospheric and can be quite haunting, especially at night time. With headphones even more so and is a very immersive experience.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Neat, thanks for the details! Will definitely keep it in mind. Will be interested as to whether it has a definitive ending and / or point to it, though; as much as I sometimes enjoy (and need) a bit of aimless wandering, I quite like having something to work towards, a specific goal which I can use to call a game "complete" and move on. That's what I felt No Man's Sky was lacking, even though it kinda had one of sorts.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I was thinking that last night when I was playing it, it definitely feels a more focused experienced than NMS. This feels like what that game should had been at launch, instead of 18 months worth of updates down the line. Once you fix the radio, you start receiving messages from other life pods which you can go to investigate. The data pads you find kinda fill in bits of the story but I've not interacted or seen anyone else yet. Strangely though I've not had the feeling of solitude much. But they was big story moment that happened last night that had me go 'WOW', something that NMS lacked.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic