Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 6,461

Th3solution

@Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger Yeah, as a fan of Lara Croft, I liked the first Croft Manor part but not the survival zombie part. Baba Yaga was pretty decent though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

I randomly decided to play Transistor for the first time yesterday. I didn’t feel like going back to complete trophies on completed games and I didn’t feel like starting up a new larger game yet. So I went into my medium length game backlog and pulled out Transistor. Someone (sorry, I forget who) had been talking about it lately somewhere here on the forums and I’d heard positive things about it.
I’ve played about 2-3 hours and it’s better than I expected. I like the gameplay. The battle system is a nice change of pace. Both active and strategic. The combinations of abilities that are possible is very deep for a game of this ilk. The character Red seems pretty cool and the music is wonderful so far. The talking Transistor is a wee-bit annoying to me though. Something about his voice and the way he carries on commenting on every little thing is just grating to my nerves.
The story is fairly cryptic and a little bit hard for me to follow. I don’t feel inclined to learn much about the world or feel very invested in it, despite the artistic design and use of color being top shelf stuff.
Overall I like it. I barely beat the first boss, so hopefully it doesn’t get too difficult.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Glad you are enjoying Transistor, it took me by surprise on how much I enjoyed as their previous game Basiton I never clicked with it.

It does get more difficult but I never felt too frustrated by it. At first the battle system totally confused me, but pretty soon was getting into the habit of swapping out abilities and see which combinations worked best for different types of enemies.

I loved the soundtrack too, you can get it on Spotify if you subscribe and are that way inclined.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Glad you liked Croft Manor in the end, and fair enough RE: Baba Yaga (which I too felt tapped directly into the "let's make you freak out" trope everybody's been busy steali... er, "interpreting" since Arkham Asylum; I just thought it was one of the better ones, probably because the boss fight had really good music). So, that's you all done with Rise, then?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

Currently starting Rise of the Tomb Raider.

They should've called it Rice of the Tomb Raider and made it a sushi restaurant sim. That's my only complaint so far.

Octane

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder @Bonbonetti I think it was your enthusiasm about Yoku's Island Express that made me check this game out. The game is total bliss and masterfully designed.

And not only does it look great in action, but it's easy on the ears too. Just listen to that genius main theme (it's magic when the chorus comes in):

An easy recommendation for any sidescroller fan (who's not afraid of a little painball).

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried So glad you are enjoying it so much! Yeah the theme tune is catchy, I was humming it for days after wards!

I made the mistake of not playing it for awhile, and then totally forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I didn't find it that difficult either, so it was quite a nice game to chill out on a lazy weekend morning or after a busy day at work.
There are few trophies towards the end which I gave up on though however, those were difficult! I think I lack the finger gymnastic skills to do those! If yours are up to the task, the platinum is well achievable.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

tomassi

I have just completed Trine 1 and am playing Trine 2. Whilst not playing those it's always PES 2019 for me mixed up with some quick throwaway stuff like Slayaway Camp or Peggle 2. I'm just trying to clear backlog stuff so I don't have so many games sat on my home screen!!

tomassi

RogerRoger

I've just started Dragon Age: Inquisition. My best friend, who got me into the series, is watching me via SharePlay and it was a great prologue, and a lot of fun with her "beside me" (so to speak).

Unfortunately, I didn't press the right buttons when sorting out my profile on the Dragon Age Keep and so, when I finally got to a point where I was asking characters about the events of the previous games, I realised that something was wrong; people I'd killed were apparently still alive, and sisters had become brothers. I've now fixed the Keep, so will replay the prologue again this evening. Which I don't mind because A: it's a gorgeous game, and B: the initial "this is new" feeling will be dampened, allowing me to make more informed choices about my new protagonist.

It'll also allow me to take a more detailed pass on constructing my new face; I can totally see now why players were disappointed with Mass Effect Andromeda's customisation options, coming from Inquisition. It's insane! And so, whilst I was happy with what I'd taken forward already, I think I can make Jason Trevelyan perfect before I start proper.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Lol, I remember having to go back and redo my character appearance in DA:I after seeing it in action in the first scenes. Sometimes it looks a little different in the in-game cutscenes as it does in the character creation screen (maybe the nose is a little too high, the eyebrow style is too bushy, the lips too pouty, etc, etc.) so I wanted it to look as perfect as possible since you’re going to have to spend a lot of hours looking at that character. 😄

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Happens to me every single time I create a character!

For some bizarre reason, Inquisition makes everybody's lips really shiny by default, to the point where it looks like I'm wearing lip gloss (and whilst I've got nothing against brutal-looking, stern bi-racial guys with shaved heads and five o' clock shadow who wanna wear lip gloss, it just isn't for me). I went hunting back through the menus and found the appropriate slider to limit the effect, because the light had caught him in a particular scene and it looked like he'd passed out from drinking too much milk. When I replayed, thankfully, the error was corrected. Phew!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Ha, ha! Sounds familiar. (The character creation part, not the passing out from milk toxicity)
I look forward to reading of your adventures in DA: I.
I halfway thought of going back to finish it in conjunction with you to foster some discussion, but I started Witcher 3 instead. So far I find it similar. I’m too early to say which is better in my mind. We’ll see.

Gremio108

@RogerRoger When I got Inquisition on PS4, I started a new playthrough, after having completed it originally on PS3. I decided to be really evil, and chose an elf archer for the job. I didn't get any further than a couple of hours in, but man the elf looked awesome. He had green hair and a sort of David Bowie thing going on.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

ApostateMage

Out of all the Dragon Age games i thought Origins had the best story and characters, Hawke (female) was the best protagonist and Inquisition had the best dragon fights out of any game ever.

ApostateMage

Kidfried

I'm glad you all ended up being happy with your Dragon Age, so I won't post a picture of my incredibly good looking elf. Don't want to make you all jelly!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Best of luck with The Witcher III (another game I swore I'd never play, so give it a year or two and I'll be back here saying it's the greatest thing I've ever experienced). It'll be interesting to see how you rate it compared to Inquisition!

As for everybody else, I'll take a screencap of Jayden Trevelyan later today and share it.

EDIT: Here he is!

Untitled

I've played quite a chunk now. It's helped having my best friend in my ear, as she's been able to explain some of the complex new mechanics (the Power system, the War Table, etc.) and stop me from getting overwhelmed. This was particularly helpful when I arrived at the Hinterlands, the game's first vast area of icons and side quests. I've gotten to the point where the next main story missions require ten Power to unlock, and I'm back down to zero, so I'll be spending most of the day in the Hinterlands and in Val Royeaux (yep, first visit to Orlais totally lived up to expectations).

But I helped a farmer and did some horse races, I found some Shards, I cleared out some demonic wolves, I added an utterly bonkers vigilante to my party and I've started to build good friendships (and a bit of rivalry) with my fellow characters. It's all pretty neat thusfar! And it's a gorgeous game, especially considering it was also on PS3. So I'm a happy hero!

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

InFamous: Second Son - Not too far into it yet, at least the main quest line (the last main mission I played, which is like only the third one since getting to Seattle, was the one where you have to climb the Space Needle). However, I've been doing tons of stuff around the city to clear out the D.U.P. (On the fist island, I've completely cleared them out of 5 of the 7 districts, and am working on the 6th). I've already reached the 3rd hero rank, and have pretty much all my smoke powers maxed out (I know I get new power types later on).

While it's definitely not as polished as a newer game like Spider-Man, combat is pretty fun once you get the hang of it, and the main missions have involved some pretty good setpieces & light platforming. Sidestuff tends to be more busywork than anything, but other than the secret agent chases which are pretty annoying, are quick & harmless enough.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kidfried

@RR529 Very good assesment of that game, I'd say. I have not played Spider-Man yet, but I can easily see how it blows this game out of the water completely. I never felt like Infamous was a game of the year contender, but like you said, it's fun and quick. Both qualities I can really appreciate in a game.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic