Valkyria Chronicles 4
Persona 5
Dragon Quest XI

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Ralizah

WanderingBullet wrote:

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Mah man!

That's very much a top ten game for me this gen. Good to see it get some appreciation on here.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Kidfried Have you completed RDR2 yet?

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy What is it that elevated DS3 over BB in your mind? I haven’t played DS3 yet. I hear it’s the closest DS game to BB as far as combat being a little more action oriented and faster paced. Is it the setting that you prefer or the gameplay?

And yeah, as @Ralizah says, NieR Automata is a sublime experience and I envy being able to experience it for the first time.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution NieR: Automata is the Ghost in the Shell game I never realized I needed in my life.

redd214

God of war
Horizon
Driveclub
Towerfall
Division 2

redd214

HallowMoonshadow

I guess a bit of both @Th3solution

I do enjoy a good fantasy medieval type setting and there's one location in particular that took my breath away in DS III (It'll be a fairly obvious guess to anyone who's played it)

Plus as much as I enjoyed Bloodborne (I do, it'd definitely be top ten) there's the nice amount of weapons to choose from compared to the small but refined pool in Bloodborne (even armour looks a touch samey for the most part in BB... though you could say the same to DS3).

The new skill arts feature is nice (all weapons have special moves/effects you can activate with your FP (magic) bar)

There's also the Miracles/Sorceries/Pyromamcies to use as well, which made sense in that BB didn't really have anything like it except the items (which I found a bit pointless) but it was a bit disappointing still that there weren't as many options for attacking.

Plus the fact it's a nice send off for the dark souls series as a whole. Some things might not impact you as much if you haven't played DS1... But there is some terrific fights none the less and some wonderful music!

... And yes the gameplay is faster overall... Though to be honest I always played dark souls more like how you're supposed to play BB... even demon's in fact 😂

And I'll have to put Nier closer to the top of my list of games to get then it seems!! Thanks @Ralizah and @Th3solution

And nice list @redd214 ! Only played Horizon from yours however but I can agree in it being top notch!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Rudy_Manchego

I doubt much has changed on mine but..

God of War
Bloodborne
Everybody’s Gone to the rapture
Hyper Light Drifter
AstroBot Rescue

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

God of War
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
The Witness
The Witcher 3
The Last Guardian

Remakes/remasters excluded. Otherwise The Last of Us and Shadow of the Colossus would be in there somewhere.

Octane

RogerRoger

I'd totally forgotten about this topic. Yeah, my list has definitely changed recently.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Hitman 2 (2018)
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4. Batman: Arkham Knight
5. Dragon Age: Inquisition

Apologies to previous (yet still awesome) games, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and Lara Croft Go. Actually, I replayed Uncharted 4 last year and my opinion of it has severely degraded, to the point where I've actively delayed replaying The Lost Legacy until I can be certain I'll enjoy it.

Hitman 2 is the obvious new entry. Despite the annoying "must always be online" element, it's just too perfect to ignore. Including all of the previous game's locations was a stroke of genius and with more levels set to come throughout the year, I've really felt part of its continual growth and evolution (something I never thought I'd say, or enjoy saying, because I tend not to like all this "games as a service" nonsense; I think because IO Interactive are actually quite generous with what's free and what's blocked by the Season Pass, it doesn't make me feel dirty to admit it).

Another thing I never thought I'd say is that a fantasy RPG is in my top five, but welcome to Dragon Age: Inquisition all the same. And I haven't even finished it yet.

If the DLCs turn out to be good, Shadow of the Tomb Raider might be a very close sixth.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

God of War
Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Witcher 3
The Last Guardian

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

mookysam

A couple of recent games have entered my top 5, knocking out Assassin's Creed Origins and Fallout 4. I decided to keep God of War in my top 5, despite originally placing it lower than those two.

1. Persona 5
2. Nier Automata
3. Dragon Quest XI
4. Kingdom Hearts 3
5. God of War

At this point I don't think anything will knock Persona or Nier Automata off their lofty perches.

I've spoken before of my love for Dragon Quest XI. The traditional turn-based battle system was instantly comforting, and I really appreciated the numerous quality of life enhancements that also made it feel very fresh and modern. The story and characters made this a top tier RPG for me. Wonderful voice acting and localisation were the icing on the cake.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was another rather comforting game. I'd also waited a long time for it, and it didn't disappoint. Gorgeous and fun to play, with mostly impressively designed levels. The battle system is perhaps Kingdom Hearts at its very best, and I enjoyed the gummi sections a lot, too. The story wasn't entirely satisfying as the ending seemed to set up the next game in the series more than end the tale of the original saga. That aside, it's a worthy addition to my top 5.

@Ralizah If I'd played Danganronpa V3 on the PS4 it would easily be in my top 5. Such a great game!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I'll add to the voices recommending Nier Automata. It's sublime!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam That's why I made two lists. Too many great games on the system that I played elsewhere (Vita/Switch, primarily, as I'll always be a handheld gamer at heart).

DRV3 was a tough sell at first, but the late game trials, utterly audacious ending, and the metric ton of unique post-game content really won me over.

themcnoisy

Wow a blast from the past.

Top 5 PS4 Games

1) Rocket League
2) Yakuza Zero
3) Astrobot
4) Rogue Legacy
5) Horizon Zero Dawn

Leaving out Statik, MGS 5 and Resogun was a hard call.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Thrillho

1) Witcher 3
2) God of War
3) Yakuza 0
4) Bloodborne
5) XCOM2

Honourable mentions to DOOM, Monster Hunter World, RDR2, Spiderman

XCOM2 my left field choice as I love the game and it’s one of the only games I’ve gone back to play again. Plus, the War of the Chosen DLC is so comprehensive it’s like playing XCOM 2.5. The only comparison I could make would be how radically the DLC for Civilisation 5 is in how it completely rewrites the game for the better.

The top 3 all have such fantastic stories that really stayed with me and TW3 has some of the best DLC of all time; both pieces being better than most full games.

And Bloodborne is just great. I still don’t know whether I actually enjoy the Souls games but I definitely loved BB.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yes, thank you for your take on the From games. It pretty much goes in line with what several DS fans have told me here on the forums. As much as I’d like to try them all (and I did try DS1 back in the day and just didn’t have the patience at the time to make it very far) so I can get the full effect, I’m considering just jumping to DS3 as my next From game, unless Sekiro price really drops quickly or BB2 comes out soon (fat chance). But thanks for your thoughts. It’s interesting to read everyone’s ideas on these games and it motivates me.
Speaking of, if you do decide to try NieR Automata, there is a thread for the game that you should post your thoughts on because it is one of those games, like the From games, that is definitely enhanced by talking about it with other fans. The story is so mind bending and the presentation is so unique, and so it’s fun to read and discuss theories about it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Hmmmm I'm not sure if I agree that the combat in DS3 is closer to BB than the previous DS games. Not played either for a while, so it is hard to say for definite. I think you will be fine with DS Remastered.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

crimsontadpoles

I'm just going to include games that I've actually played on PS4, so the list will be missing excellent games I've played elsewhere such as Zero Escape, as well as other great games that I haven't played yet.

1) Nier Automata
2) Persona 5
3) Monster Hunter World
4) Horizon Zero Dawn
5) Crash Bandicoot 1

It's going to be very hard for any other game to come and replace the top two. Nier Automata and Persona 5 aren't perfect, but it would be very tough for me to enjoy a game even more than I enjoyed those two. As I'm still playing Persona 5 (getting very close to the end for real now ... probably), there's still for it to overtake Nier Automata and reach the top spot.

10best

Obviously there are many PS4 games to choose from but from my personal experience I would say to try out:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War
Bloodborne
Shadow of the colossus

Otherwise you can look at https://10best.co.za/10-best-ps4-games-to-buy-in-2020/ they have a decent list on the top 10 best PS4 games to buy in 2020

10best

ApostateMage

New top 5 (Pre-Cyberpunk 2077)

• The Witcher 3
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    The Last Of Us Part 2
    Dragon Quest XI

ApostateMage

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.