Posts 201 to 220 of 408

Gremio108

Right, I've given this some thought and I'm still not sure but:

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime
3. Bloodborne
4. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes
5. The Witcher 3

Special mentions to The Phantom Pain, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Brothers, The Last Guardian and Fallout 4.
Also there are a few games that I haven't played yet which I suspect have a good chance at gatecrashing that top five. Uncharted 4, Horizon and Inside to name but three.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

Oh and Dirt 4.

Th3solution

@Gremio108 I'm intrigued that you rank Ground Zeros above The Phantom Pain. Care to expound? GZ was but an intro to TPP, where TPP gameplay was so much deeper and the world so much bigger. ( I'm not discounting your opinion, it's fine ... I'm just curious how you came to like it more)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Th3solution Yeah, it's a weird one, because Phantom Pain is no doubt the better game in every regard. But for me Ground Zeroes was just the perfect example of what Metal Gear is.
When I got my ps4 as a birthday gift it was a complete surprise, my wife somehow managed to hide it from me. So on the way back from work I popped into Asda (nowhere else was open) and grabbed the cheapest game that I thought I would enjoy (Ground Zeroes for a fiver) and played it all night. It felt like the first time I played MGS on the ps1. It will always hold a special place in my heart. I guess I was caught up in that giddy new-console euphoria! Plus it helped that already knew what the deal was with the short running time and what have you, so there was no disappointment factor.

kyleforrester87

@Gremio108 I'm with ya on GZ being better than PP. I really enjoyed GZ and was so excited for PP but it never quite lived up to the expectations GZ gave me.

Was kinda like the MGS2 tanker demo in that regard. The main game was great but didn't quite live upto the tanker section.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @Gremio108
Interesting. 🤔
I did like GZ (that ending was pretty crazy) but Phantom Pain is one of my top 5 this gen. Definitely it has its problems, and it was released a little unfinished, but it captivated me from beginning to end, despite the very deserving criticism of the repetitive sequences.
But it goes to show, there's no accounting for taste when it relates to these things sometimes. The intangibles of the experience of playing something factors into the emotional connection to the game, as shown in your story about GZ being your first PS4 game. We all have those games we like partially because of the circumstances we play them in.

Anyways, here's my Updated top 5:
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
MGS V: The Phantom Pain
Horizon Zero Dawn
Rise of the Tomb Raider

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@Th3solution @kyleforrester87
I guess it depends how you work out your favourites. If I was going off hours put in, then no doubt Phantom Pain would be in there. But then so would Fallout 4, and I don't think it should be. So I guess you have to go with your gut a little bit. Like you say, that intangible connection can lift a good game to a great one.

And yeah, by the time I was done with Ground Zeroes I was so hyped for PP that it was never going to live up to it, which is a bit unfair but there you go.

ThroughTheIris56

It might change by the end of the year, but lets make a quick one now for comparisons sake:

5) Little Nightmares
4) The Last Guardian
3) Doom
2) Bloodborne
1) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Already feel really bad for missing out loads of games like The Witcher 3 and Tearaway Unfolded

Edited on by ThroughTheIris56

ThroughTheIris56

Decoy_Snake

Witcher 3
DOOM
Horizon Zero Dawn
Injustice 2
Wolfenstein The New Order

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

Nei

Updated list!

1. The Last Guardian
2. Final Fantasy XV
3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
4. Street Fighter V
5. Dragon Age: Inquisition

Absolutely loved the Last Guardian. I guess I officially have a thing for games that get stuck in development hell and come out after a million years to get 8,5 reviews lol. But generally I must say I tend to like those 8 more than the 9 for some reason.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Fight_Teza_Fight

Old List:
1. Uncharted 4
2. Bloodborne
3. Nioh
4. Persona 5
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

New List:
1. Uncharted 4
2. Bloodborne
3. Persona 5
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. NiOh

Same games, new order.
I find it difficult to put any other game in there.
NiOh is a great game, packed with so much content, but in retrospect the narrative hurt it.
As for Horizon, the Frozen Wilds expansion just puts it over NiOh.
I might have put 200 hours into NiOh, but the 80 hours in Horizon feel more meaningful.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

themcnoisy

Old Top 5

1) Rocket League
2) Yakuza Zero
3) Metal Gear Solid the phantom pain
4) The Last of us remastered
5) The Witness

New Top 5

1) Rocket League
2) Yakuza Zero
3) Horizon ZD
4) Metal Gear Solid the phantom pain
5) Destiny 2

Horizon and Destiny smashing it up. Horizon is the best looking game ever. Fact.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@themcnoisy After all your posts on microtransactions here on Push Square, you pick a game with lootboxes as your #1?

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 December bruv. That will be an epic one for sure.

themcnoisy

@Kidfried Haha, ive quit it now tbh. It had veered into stupid territory with the loot boxes and being my number 1 game is more to do with the gameplay and amazing first 18 months. Its now loot box driven and imo a worse game for it.

But thats a spin on everything I have moaned about. Streets of Rage 2 will always be sor2, FF7 will always be FF7, Halo (original xbox) will always be Halo.

RL is now some frankenstein lootbox driven competitive shambles surrounding a great game. Where as it was originally just a great game.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Gamer83

Old:
1. Yakuza 0
2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Resident Evil VII: biohazard
5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

New:
1. Yakuza 0
2. Yakuza Kiwami
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
4. Assassin's Creed: Origins
5. Resident Evil VII: biohazard

Probably won't have to update this again until next year. There's a good chance Yakuza 6 will shake up my top 3 but it's going to be tough. Those are my absolute 3 favorite PS4 games. Always figured it was going to be great but still a bit surprised just how much I liked Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - an easy top 10 overall of 2017 - given that it wasn't originally planned to be the full Uncharted experience it turned into.

Gamer83

Kidfried

With Push Square releasing its list of the best PS4 games, I figured I'd update my own, a process that is becoming increasingly more difficult every time.

Old...
1 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2 Horizon Zero Dawn
3 The Witness
4 The Talos Principle
5 The Last of Us Remastered

New!
1 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2 Horizon Zero Dawn
3 The Witness
4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
5 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

It will be really difficult for any game this generation to beat any of those in the top 3. They're perfect experiences each in their own way.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Good idea. I need to update. But first, can you expound a little on The Witness for me? Not sure if you may have seen my comment on the top 20 article this week, but I’m looking for feedback on whether to buy it. It’s on sale for one more week in the PS store for like 70% off, from $40 to around $13. Not to mention the fact that a physical release is probably coming out and I may want to wait for that, since I usually prefer physical. I want to decide this week since I doubt the price will go much less than $13 (unless it becomes a PS+ free offering) I have read reviews and such and it never interested me. I don’t care for puzzle games or games that make me think too much. Straight forward puzzles that are integrated into a larger gameplay are good though, like in Uncharted or the escape rooms of Virtue’s Last Reward. Puzzles just for the sake of puzzles don’t interest me though. Is there an overarching interesting narrative or other types of gameplay mechanics in The Witness? It’s not clear from reviews what the game really is and the trailer looks really boring. When the game cracks an all-time best list, it makes me take notice. I’m not sure if there is a demo, I may need to check on that. My current top 5 may give you a clue as to what types of games I’ve liked most.

Old:
1.Uncharted 4
2.Uncharted Lost Legacy
3.MGS V: The Phantom Pain
4.Horizon Zero Dawn
5.Rise of the Tomb Raider

New:
1.Uncharted 4
2.Nier: Automata
3.Uncharted Lost Legacy
4.MGSV: The Phantom Pain
5.Horizon Zero Dawn

Kidfried

@Th3solution I answered your question in the Witness topic, but wanted to reply here to compliment you on your nice top 5.

I was wondering by the way, didn't the shooting segments bother you? I bought the game somewhere last month and love how it looks and the platforming as well, but I dislike the shooting parts more than ever.

The partner's AI is... sub-zero I'd say. It's impossible to flank the enemy and he'll never shoot at the right guys. The only way to win the gunfights is pretending he's not there at all and I'm fighting all alone. Which is a difficult task, because he loves to randomly run in front of targets, so I can't shoot them or sit at the exact cover position I want to sit. Kinda ruins these parts for me.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.