Forums

Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 305

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy At the start, when the griffin is attacking the merchant, did you take his money?

I don't know how much you remember about this game, but if you want to play Gwent, buy the card from the innkeeper ASAP.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Naaah I was nice to... Bram? @Ralizah and said no charge as we were responding to help

I vaguely remember the town not liking me by the end of this intro when I first played this... So we'll see if that can change or not.

I used Axii to try talk my way out the confrontation out the tavern... Only talked to the Gwent guy and the guy whom advanced the quest inside

I have about 90 gold? I bought every Gwent card I could so far but luckily I found better gear and sold the starting stuff.

The two quests I've done so far paid decently enough for the intro so I'm not super strapped for cash... Though I kinda am still.

I don't remember Roach being quite so unweildy though...

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Don't say I didn't try and warn you!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Lol you did @JohnnyShoulder and I keep pressing circle to try to roll... Damn muscle memory! 😂

And I'm actually remembering a decent amount @Ralizah. Before seeing the screenshots you posted a few weeks back I could've told you absolutely nothing about the witcher 3 other then I'd played it and thought it was solid but not world shattering.

The screenshots brought back a few memories... The three hours I've put into it today though has made quite a bit come back to me.

Like I remembered the Nilfgaard camp layout in White Orchid quite clearly and that stupidly tiny dock you have to stop at before climbing up the steps

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Last post was almost a week ago! Wow how time flies!

• I completed White Orchard. Before fighting the Griffin I did all the points of interest and side quests. I took the money from the griffin job cus I was still poor as hell. I also took the money for the noonwraith at the well
  • Met Charles Dance/Emperor of Nilfgaard. Channeling Tywin Lannister and having a blast with his snark and contempt I bowed and wore the first outfit
  • In Velen I found a guy left at the river to be killed by drowners I saved him
  • Got the travel writ/pass for 50 coins I love mind control
  • Went to Novigrad and unlocked a few travel points for later... Ending up doing the first mission there. Luckily there was only 3 Witch Hunters and a Drowner throughout it or I would've been toast!
  • Headed back to Velen, went after the witch That turned out to be an old friend of Geralt's. I remember that darn cave! I was weirdly having more trouble with the foglets and drowners here then the golem, gargoyle or the Wild Hunt

Oh and I played a bunch of Gwent. How do all these damn peasants have barely food to eat, but have a bunch of ultra rare playing cards?!?! Still beat those motherploughers though with my 3 commando bros and twin catapaults for stupid high scores

-EDIT-

Just did a Towerful Of Mice. I disbelieved the lord's daughter, and it turned out she was a plague maiden and not just a lost soul/spirit.

I brought her lover to her and he ended up kissing her. Unlike the fairy tales however, true love's kiss caused his death. But the ghost was able to pass on, he was with her and the curse was lifted too! So I guess that was a mostly a win?

crimsontadpoles

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Sound like you're having fun with this. I did rather enjoy those witch quests, she's fun and nice to be around.

As for me, I'm really liking Skellige so far. It's got a different feel to the previous areas, and the people seem more friendly here.

Also had an interesting side quest with someone who suspected that Jarl Udalryk had a curse upon him, and wanted to free him from it. I decided to fully go along with her plan for lifting the curse.

Edit: That Towerful Of Mice outcome was better than mine. I naively believed her story and ended up freeing the plague maiden. She still killed her lover, and now she's free to wreck havoc elsewhere. That was the point of the game where I realised that my kind and trusting nature is going to cause problems in this harsh game world.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

HallowMoonshadow

I like Kiera too @crimsontadpoles

Skellige has a pretty primal feel to it, I remember liking the journey there in particular

As for "A Towerful of Mice" That's actually what I did the first time around! I didn't remember the quest at all, thinking I'd actually missed this the first time I played this ages back til I just read what happened to you. Subconsciously I guess I did though!

It's a pretty atmospheric quest too which I like, especially playing it at night both ingame and out of the game!

Ralizah

Kiera would be more likable if she wasn't incredibly cavalier about the prospect of putting chemical weapons into the hands of a madman.

She was Geralt's first lover in my playthrough, though, so I can't hate her too much.

I really like how the game's narrative logic subverts the expectations I hold after having played so many RPGs where decisions don't matter. You have to think through possibilities, because things can and will go disastrously if you naively believe people and expect things to work out for the best. At the same time, the same can happen if you choose not to trust certain people when they tell you not to do certain particular things.

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Yeah it is one of the best games I've played at hiding which is the 'best' decision. You could be making what you think will be the nicest outcome, but ends up turning out horribly wrong for someone involved.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Oh dear... Things went horribly sour in The Witcher 3

I reported in to Kiera about the previous "Towerful of Mice" quest before following up with the quest to help find the items that a merchant was supposed to be bringing her

Went to dinner and Geralt declined her... generous offer. She ended up putting Geralt to sleep and went to Fyke Isle to get the notes.

Really big spoilers in the following tags

This ended up with me fighting Kiera as I wouldn't let her leave with the notes. By sheer coincedence... a storm started up ring this confrontation with rain and lightning during the REALLY one sided fight to make it a bit more dramatic

Kiera finally got away from the lice, ticks and filth...

... On the other hand I utterly clobbered some guy in Gwent!

Untitled

Bah... damn you and your light grey, medium grey, dark grey and such and such moral choices Witcher 3!

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Aww, poor Kiera. I took her up on her offer (she still puts Geralt to sleep afterwards), and, during the confrontation, managed to talk her into going to Kaer Morhen instead. The woman is probably in need of a moral compass. On the other hand, she likely doesn't realize just how awful chemical warfare can be, and it's not unusual for persecution and/or poverty to really wear people down to the nub. Of course, I wasn't going to let her do the unthinkable, so I'm glad the game didn't force me to go the violent route. I probably shouldn't have cheated on Yennefer, but, at that point, I hardly knew the character (getting to know her better in Skellige now, since she's a huge part of the story). I was actually really close to getting Geralt to confess his feelings to Triss in Novigrad, but certain events transpire, and it just didn't... feel right.

LOL The more I talk, the more this game sounds like some trashy romantic drama.

HallowMoonshadow

It kinda is @Ralizah as everyone wants to jump Geralt's bones. Especially in the previous games apparently

I have the trophy of getting everyone to Kaer Morhen so I obviously did do that with Kiera the first time round. It might've been the insult of calling her a twin headed viper with four tongues that locked me into either the fight or letting her leave... 😅

Triss' voice, or rather her american accent, bothers me actually.

Everyone else is unashamedly British who isn't Nilfgaardian. Yen... Might be American but she hides it well. Geralt has a weird non accent (but like he's been eating gravel all his life)

But Triss is american and I'm not sure there's any story reason why... Slightly puzzling

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I try not to pay attention to details like that (accents and names) in fantasy media. Either fantasy is PAINFULLY well-thought-out (AKA Tolkien) and every detail is intentional and has a historical and social context to it, or else it just feels like a slap-dash analogy for things in real life, to some degree. TW3, as well-constructed as it is, is still definitely the latter.

It's one reason I prefer near-future, grounded Sci-Fi, personally. Social and historical context for the past is a matter of experience for your own society and research for the societies of others, so you just have to mix and match elements that already exist to paint a portrait of a future time. No need for reams of fictional histories to get things right.

Geralt is a really transparent hetero male power fantasy. He's tough and cool and has scars and is feared by the townsfolk. As you point out, the dude sounds like he gargles gravel every morning before breakfast. Lesser men bow before him. Women everywhere want him.

Edited on by Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Geralt is a really transparent hetero male power fantasy. He's tough and cool and has scars and is feared by the townsfolk. As you point out, the dude sounds like he gargles gravel every morning before breakfast. Lesser men bow before him. Women everywhere want him.

Mmm he's a bit of a Gary Stu (What I've heard is the male equivalant of a Mary Sue) And yet...

...I still quite like Geralt as a character @Ralizah

I think it's a testament to the good writing & the moral quandries and as you said the world itself (even if it is a more crapsack one) is constructed quite well...

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I think he's imperfect and idiosyncratic enough to not feel like a bland self-insert character who doesn't need help from anyone else. Power fantasies don't necessarily need to be bad characters. I think he's perfectly fine insofar as he's the player's vehicle to explore TW3's complex moral landscape.

IMO, The Witcher 3 is at its best with character writing, atmosphere, and visual design (because the environments in this game are, as you have probably noticed, almost mind-bogglingly sumptuous at times). Even the creepy, gross areas have a dark, entrancing beauty to them.

HallowMoonshadow

Very true @Ralizah

Just got to the Bloody Baron and did Ciri's Flashback episode with the king of wolves

The purple haze to the evening sky as you lead the child to safety looks lovely...

... and yet panning the camera behind at the start of it towards the crones' bog all you can see is dark blue skies that gives the more gnarled trees an otherworldly and unnatural feel.

Really appreciating the visual design of the game this time around.

Also the combat and dodging feels much better with Ciri's teleports rather then Geralt's kinda naff side step like dodge.

Never quite enough movement to him for my liking... especially as I keep trying to use the alt Igni sign and keep getting clobbered 😅

crimsontadpoles

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I didn't realise you could fight with Kiera like that. I'm not one to say no in a video game when there might be a sex scene, so I took her up on her offer (also wasn't sure of the status of Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship then). I wasn't paying much attention at the time as to why she wanted the notes, so I just happily helped her as much as possible.

@Ralizah If you're in Skellige now getting to know Yennefer better, then you're probably just about caught up with me (I'm notoriously slow in video games). Anyway, enjoy the rest of the game.

HallowMoonshadow

I didn't realise you could either @crimsontadpoles! As I already said to Ralizah earlier I got the send her to Kaer Morhen end the previous time I played this... Completely threw me for a loop that it could end so sourly!

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles I'd be way ahead if I hadn't stopped playing weeks ago. But yeah, I'm taking my sweet time as well. I just want to be done before Cyberpunk releases, so I'm in no real rush.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy To be honest, I don't like Ciri's teleporting at all. Geralt feels like he has a natural rhythm to his movements, which makes fights fun and balletic. It feels almost Monster Hunter-esque when you really get a feel for it. By contrast, Ciri's teleporting feels jarring and breaks the rhythm of the fight. Although, considering you don't play as her very much, it's not a huge deal.

HallowMoonshadow

I think it's because I've come off of Soul Reaver @Ralizah.

The combat was clunky but Raziel did have a decent dodge... That was tied to the X button. So now I'm rolling all over the place as Geralt 😅

Still, I couldn't quite get the rhythm right the first time after coming off Dark Souls 2 either.

Luckily it's not too challenging on the second difficulty level. Plus I've got plenty of alchohest to make endless amounts of Swallow if it does get tougher

-EDIT-

And I think there MIGHT be a quest involving Crippled Kate's... or at least something in a quest line might be near the area?

Passiflora hosts the Gwent Tournament if I remember right though

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.