johncalmc

I got the platinum in Nier: Automata.

I nearly got the platinum in Shenmue.

Lovely stuff.

johncalmc

Twitter:

johncalmc

Terrible trophy lists contribution:

Final Fantasy IX - There's a trophy for killing 10,000 enemies which even with the speedy up boost turned on takes like a billion hours. And that jump rope trophy is absolutely unacceptable. Whoever came up with it should go to prison.

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 - Back on PS3, these games required you to replay the game on every difficulty. It wasn't one of those if you beat it on hard you unlock the easier ones automatically situations. If you beat it on hard you still had to then go and beat it on easy. Appalling behaviour. They actually fixed this on PS4 so the trophies pop together. I didn't realise that until I'd already beaten the first Kingdom Hearts twice though.

Dark Souls / 2 / 3 - Maybe it's because I'm lazy but I absolutely hate trophy lists that arbitrarily require multiple playthroughs. If it's Nier: Automata I get it. Play it a bunch. If it's PaRappa the Rapper and it's about getting better and beating your own scores or whatever okay. But I hate that "oh you need to make a different choice right at the end to get a different ending so buckle up you gonna have to play this game like four times" thing. I did platinum Bloodborne and just fiddled the ending trophies using my cloud save but I never bothered with Dark Souls because of this.

Persona 4 Golden - Hardcore Risette. Not having that.

Hitman / 2 - No platinums? I can hardly think of games that don't have platinums that are more deserving or more fitting to have them. Not doing all that extra stuff for the %.

Also special shout-out to trophy lists that are proper easy but inexplicably have one really time consuming trophy that takes like twenty hours to grind out. Final Fantasy X's "hey fill in the entire sphere grid" trophy can get in the sea. I still did it because I'm daft. But sure.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Thrillho

@johncalmc Was Nier an honest platinum? I have no shame in saying I bought a couple of the trophies..

@Quintumply The guide was one of the first to come up when I searched for it but made much more sense to give the souls in the order it did to complete the soul and find the next one on the same level to avoid even more repetition.

Thrillho

johncalmc

@Thrillho Absolutely not. I wanted the platinum because of how much I enjoyed the game, and the game provided an easier out. I spent like thirty odd hours playing the game, and loved it, but I wasn't about to grind for another ten or so and not enjoy it. I found the trophy shop to be pretty neat actually, especially as it kinda fit in with the whole vibe of the game. And since you have to beat the game like three different times, at least, to even get to it, I felt cool with it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Yeah, as somebody who won't look at a game's trophy guide until he's cleared its story (for fear of inadvertent spoilers) then I join you in calling for all missable trophies to have their descriptions visible. That being said, I'm reminded of Virginia and its bizarre, cryptic trophy descriptions, so there'll always be that one developer who wants to frustrate players regardless (although in the YouTube "trophy guide and roadmap" age, there's very little point because somebody, somewhere, will have cracked it at launch).

@johncalmc You say you "nearly" got the platinum in Shenmue...? As somebody who's playing it for the first time now, and who probably doesn't wanna play it again, what's the trophy which caught you out?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

@RogerRoger I say nearly because I've only got story trophies left to do and presumably none of those are missable. I'm assuming that when I finish the story I'll have the platinum.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

@johncalmc Ah, fair enough! Sorry, thought you'd completed it. Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@johncalmc That was my feeling too. Going through for every single ending was too much for me but I like to feel I fully deserved the trophy.

Thrillho

Gremio108

Terrible trophies contribution - that Rayman Legends one for getting the top rank in those online daily challenges. You would have to play it every day for roughly four months, and that's if you're consistently ranking among the top players. Realistically you're looking at the best part of a year.

As my nan would have said, give over.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

@johncalmc Another Dark Souls trophy favourite: "Oh hey, you've nearly found all the spells, but you missed the one which you get as a reward for finding the secret covenant by walking across to an invisible ledge and performing a bow in front of Knight Whatever-His-Name-Is and giving him 70 wyvern medals, which can be farmed from the dragons of Lowdroprate Keep"

Of course I did, silly me.

johncalmc

@Gremio108 Fun Fact: I got through all three Dark Souls games without ever learning how to use magic. Still don't know how to use it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Gremio108

@johncalmc It can waste certain bosses apparently, but not when I've ever tried it. I used in Demon's Souls a bit, then I abandoned it for some reason. As with most problems in life, a good sword and shield will sort you out.

johncalmc

@Gremio108 I got Dark Souls Remastered for Christmas - mainly because me mum was asking what I wanted and I couldn't think of anything so I thought why not I'll play it again - and when I finally unwrap that cellophane I might have a bash at magic. I'll probably have to do an Internet degree in Dark Souls-ology to work out how to use it like. I can't even remember ever having the option. But I'm not that familiar with the games to be honest. Only played them all once.

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@johncalmc Good Luck. Only dabbled in magic in the series as some of the homing spells were well handy. Homing Souls Mass. Or something. I recommend having a read on Fextralife or a wiki as there are certain attributes you need to level up to compliment your spells.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

@johncalmc I did try it with Dark Souls 3, but like you say, I just went back to the comfort zone of sword and shield combo. It's all very well people telling me that certain spells can lay waste to certain bosses, but you've got to get to them first. Let us know how you get on if you go full wizard though

nessisonett

@johncalmc I swear I’ve completed Dark Souls 1 about 8 times by now and have never once touched magic. You’re very brave, from what I’ve seen it’s really quite complicated. My general progression in the series is sword -> big sword -> bigger sword.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

The other day I got 100% of the Hitman Legacy trophies. They come under Hitman 2, which doesn't have a platinum anyway, but it feels like a completion in its own right.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam I know why it doesn't, but Hitman should totally have a platinum. Congratulations on your accomplishment all the same; it took me a while, too!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic