Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 5,748

Th3solution

@ZeD 116? Sir, you are my hero.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Tasuki

@Splat Well not a trilogy anymore, I take it you haven't platinum Andromeda yet.

@JohnnyShoulder:. Don't feel to bad, I only have one Rocket League but then again I don't play games for trophies. If I did I would have an ever bigger backlog.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

ZeD

@Kidfried Haven't been on the site for a long while.

@Th3solution Most are from the PS3 before I had kids. Did not do a lot of hunting last year but I am starting again this year. Aiming to get close to 150 Plats or 10K trophy count.

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

Splat

Tasuki wrote:

@Splat Well not a trilogy anymore, I take it you haven't platinum Andromeda yet.

I have played it but it takes place in a different timeline with a different cast. Plus it's not very good.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Th3solution

Ok, just a random thought on a Friday —
Anyone know how accurate the rarity and percentages that are displayed/assigned to a trophy is? You know, next to each trophy it says if it’s “common” or “rare” or “very rare” etc. and then gives a percentage, which I assume is the percent of people who have played the game that get that trophy. I just was looking over my list (trying to make gaming plans for the weekend) and started looking at the numbers. I can’t believe my platinum for The Order 1886 is actually more rare (6.3%) than for say, my platinum for Danganronpa (8.9%) or the Nonary Games (17.6%). The Order can literally be platinum’d in about 6-8 hours with just a little effort, whereas the other two are easy platinums, sure, but require a 40+ hour commitment and a little dedication to complete things out.
Life is Strange platinum rate is only 8%? Geez that was pretty easy and almost automatic if you play to the end, as I recall.

I’m just really surprised at how many people abandon these games early, I guess. I mean for me, I don’t platinum games or trophy hunt games that I’m not enjoying. I don’t see the point in that. But if I enjoy the game and the platinum is obtainable with a little bit of effort, I’ll usually try to go for it. I’ll put in an extra hour or two for a gold or platinum if I’m having fun or interested to see an alternate ending, etc.
Anyway, it got me thinking and I wondered if those rarity stats are even accurate and updated real time, or if they stamp a percent based on a game’s first 3 months on market and then never changes. I’ve never bothered to notice if the rate changes over time.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

@Th3solution I don't know the rarity and percentage rates but I think you would be surprised about the amount of people that don't actually finish games, let alone go for trophies. I think I started a thread ages ago about this but I have a good few friends who jump from game to game and don't 'finish' them to story end.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Gremio108

@Th3solution They do update over time. If you're quick enough sometimes you can see the number change just after you've loaded the trophy information up. Go to a trophy list you haven't looked at for ages and you'll see the percentages shift.
I've always wondered if there's any notification for being the first person to platinum a game. Because otherwise you'd never know you were the first (not that it's something I'm ever going to achieve!)

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Gremio108 That’s Interesting. I guess these numbers are accurate then.

@Rudy_Manchego I guess we all abandon games from time to time, (I certainly have left my fair share unfinished) but I’m surprised at the statistics. Just glancing through my list, I’d say I get all trophies in about 30-40% of the games I play and I at least complete (make it to the end in games that have an end) about 60-70% of the time.

It’s probably another symptom of being in the “bubble” that Sammy talks about us being in, where we assume that everyone who plays video games is as passionate about it as we are, when in fact, we are a sliver of a minority.

Kidfried

@Th3solution Life is Strange is a strange beast. Some people only bought only Episode 1 to check out what it was, but never bought the rest. That already lowers the percentage.

On top of that Life is Strange is a Plus game. They have really low percentages, just because many people own them.

And The Order... I just didn't like the game enough to replay it. It has a lot of missable trophies, because of the game's linearity. I didn't hate The Order, I'm still hoping for a sequel, but the game just isn't fun enough to go for the platinum.

Most of my platinums are just excuses to spend more time with a game of my choice.

Percentages tend to be pretty accurate. Have you ever seen the percentages on PSN profiles? That's a great comparison if you want to know more and I think their percentages are more relevant to me, because most members over there care more about trophies.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Good point, I didn’t think about LiS being an episodic game. I forgot about that. That does definitely lower completion percentages versus games that are only purchasable whole.
I have browsed PSN Profiles a bit, and they certainly do have more information and data. It is interesting to see things like your 1000th trophy, or the average numbers of trophies you earn per day, or how you rank compared to the world with regard to certain statistics and trophies. It actually appears to be a very well run site.

JohnnyShoulder

TrueTrophies and Psnprofiles.com are good sites to go to if you want more stats and info about your trophies. I like how you can compare stuff with people on your friends list on TrueTrophies, like trophy streaks which is earning at least one trophy online on consecutive days.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

johncalmc

I got the platinum in Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition and World of Final Fantasy.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

As anyone that knows me can attest, when it comes to all things, I'm all about the low hanging fruit. So anyway, I did a playthrough of Resistance Burning Skys on my Vita and without much effort, got every trophy bar one without really realising it. So, checked the trophy list and the only thing between me and an easy platinum was one measly trophy. The catch? It was to complete just one multiplayer match.

Of course, this is a nearly five year old game, on a platform with a small user base so obviously, unless I sit next to my vita all day on the hope that I can find 3 other players (or start posting ads on trophy forums), the trophy list is unattainable. This really annoys me with trophies - the same was true of Tomb Raider Definitive edition. Grrrrrrr.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Exactly, the game was Ok and I enjoyed it for what it was but I just can't justify the time to try and get people together for it. It's a real weakness of the trophy system in an online world if you are dependent on servers/player bases to get trophies.

drk

I love trophies. Didn't really get into them until a year or two after buying my PS3 in 2010. Even though I know they don't have any actual value and "bragging rights" isn't a factor in why I pursue them, there's just something very (and oddly) satisfying about hearing that "ping" sound. They add extra playability and enjoyment to my gaming experience.

I did go through a bit of an obsession period with them where I'd be killing myself to get certain difficult trophies, to the point where gaming sometimes wouldn't be very fun. Now I kinda know when to cut my losses when it comes to pursuing a platinum trophy. I certainly don't mind doing some grinding or tackling a real challenging trophy, but I'm just not going to let it ruin what's supposed to be "fun time".

Currently at level 20 with 28 platinum trophies.

drk

Th3solution

Got Platinum number 13 - The Bunker. Man, that game is a trophy hoard. Platinumed it in about 2 hours. And it was a good game, worth playing even without the easy trophies. More of my impressions on the other thread...

ZeD

Popped platinum 123 on Friday with South Park The Fractured But Whole.

Onto Uncharted 2 now

Try Nubla @Th3solution 30 minute Platinum and there is four trophies lists! 2x USA 2x EU!

Edited on by ZeD

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

WanderingBullet

Got my 50th Platinum - Monster Hunter: World.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Fight_Teza_Fight

@WanderingBullet That’s a good one to have for your 50th platinum. How long did it take you?

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

WanderingBullet

@Fight_Teza_Fight I'm not sure, I wanna say maybe 250 hours? I only actively tried to get the remaining three trophies (Miniature Crown Master, Giant Crown Master, and Nowhere to Go but Up) three weeks ago. I had already gotten at least 28 crowns in total before I actually started farming for the rest. The rest of the trophies I got naturally just by playing the game. As for the pets trophies, I would've gotten them even if they weren't trophy related as I tried to catch every critter I came across.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic