Forums

Topic: The Trophy Discussion Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 5,748

themcnoisy

@booshy89 Bloomin heck. Your plat counts crazy bro in the short time youve been collecting. Well done.

@Th3solution "Legend of Inaba” for maxing all social links and “Compulsive Reader” for reading all the books. Those took some effort and planning. Oh, and also “Unnatural Selection” for killing one of each animal species in Red Dead Redemption, and “They All Live” for making it to the end of Until Dawn with all 8 friends alive. That was tough."

I actually disagree (not with your opinion of course but the list) any trophy were I need to follow a relatively strict list of instructions or pathway for the majority or whole of the game really ruins my enjoyment. I constantly change my mind on what I feel like doing. Looking up faqs or guides has really ruined my enjoyment of titles in the past. Something like Hitman Go, which I thought was great. Before I knew it, I was working through the levels using a guide. After getting the plat I was like why did I do that? Im good at logic games and that ruined all the fun I would have had.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

WiiWareWave

I finally reached trophy level 13 and just reached the 1200 trophy milestone! Have any of my fellow countrymen or countrywomen joined the Playstation Rewards program now that you can earn big points for your trophies? 10 plats = enough points for a $10 PSN Card. 100 golds = enough points for a $10 PSN Card, 1000 silvers = enough points for a $10 PSN Card! :3

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Th3solution

@themcnoisy Yes, I can agree that sometimes it does distract. It kind of depends on the game. For me, I actually prefer a trophy that is obtainable with a little planning and even help from a guide to one that is either complete random chance, a huge grind fest (hitting a certain high level or killing some huge number of enemies), or is online related. Oh yeah, or timed completion trophies (such as “finish the game in less than 5 hours”). Those types of trophies I do not enjoy trying to get. If obtaining the trophy will somehow give me a little extra story, such as “Legend of Inaba” or “They All Live” then I actually quite enjoy the process and feel a sense of accomplishment a little bit. Of course it is all false accomplishment and if I had to get help from a guide then I’m sure the purists would nay-say the trophy but it’s okay — we all do this for fun anyways and so there is no wrong way to play a game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@Th3solution 100% with you on timed trophies, why developers put 'finish in under 5 hours' is beyond me. Those trophies generally have the least uptake.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

vegeta11

After I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I finally got the Cat Fight trophy from Injustice 2, time to wrap up that plat this weekend.

vegeta11

PSN: vegeta11

Kidfried

@KratosMD Congrats!

Now let me tell you something I hate: too easy plats. Sure, it's fun for new players to get their first platinum. Sure, it's great for trophy hunters. And sure, I despise terrible grind or near impossible trophies like any other guy. But... c'mon, can we at least have some standards here.

Example: Watch Dogs 2. You get a trophy for doing your first Uber driver mission. But why isn't there a trophy for reaching max rating in Uber? Or doing all missions? There isn't even an in-game reward for it, except money and experience.

And this goes for most things in the game. Play your first online game? Trophy. Reach diamond ranking online? Nothing.

Visit ten ScoutX locations? Trophy. Get 50? A selfie pose (meh, but sure). Get all? Nothing.

When you put collectables or rankings in your game, you have to include some kind of incentive. I hate it when they don't.

End of my rant. By the way, got the plat!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Kidfried

@KratosMD I haven't played Nier, so my rant wasn't targeted at that game. Sorry, it did sound like it. Mostly at Watch Dogs and others.

And I don't really care about trophies anymore either, especially lately. Just too many good games coming out to still even have time to platinum everything. Although I do miss the PS4 launch days a bit, because I invested more in most games.

I completed Watch Dogs 2 within a week or so (I don't know exactly). That's pretty short, and while I could still check out maybe some side quests or online, I know I won't. There's still much to be done!

Kidfried

BAMozzy

@KratosMD Personally I would never keep pushing to get all trophies in a game. There maybe a few I will go out of my way to get - like trying to get 10 stealth kills in a row, get through a level without being detected etc. But I won't bother going for 'speed-run' trophies or trophies that are only possible after beating a game once - like those associated with 'new game +' or beating a game on a 'brutal' difficulty that is only unlocked after beating the game at least once. I have beaten games - like Tomb Raider, Arkham Knight etc to 100%. That means I have collected everything, done all the side missions, Riddler challenges etc so I see nothing to gain by playing through these again just for a trophy that means I get a Platinum. In fact I only have 2 platinum trophies - Second Son and H:ZD.

In some cases, I have beaten the game to 100% more than once due to the fact I have them on both consoles. Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 for example offered complete and/or GotY versions with all DLC so it was more tempting to re-purchase on the different consoles.

Some trophies I think are not worth it. I really can't see any benefit to speed-running a game to get a trophy (looking at you Uncharted 1-3). I cannot see how rushing through a game as quick as possible is doing that game justice. In fact I hate 'timed' based trophies. I just can't see the benefit of re-running these over and over again just to get a trophy. I may try once or twice (running the Gauntlet in TF2 for example) but if I am not that close - i.e. within a second or two - I will just not bother. I beat the game on the hardest difficulty and got every other trophy but cannot be bothered to keep playing that over and over again until I beat the time. I also never bothered collecting every feather in AC2 which would have given me the opportunity to get the last 'remaining' achievements. I also hate trophies that are dependent on 'co-op' (like Destiny's complete the raid without any of your fireteam dying) or in modes I have no interest in (Destiny 2's trophy for doing really well in 'trials'). Co-op based trophies are often the ones I never bother to go for - they may get done through general play (like CoD Zombies) but I don't go for them specifically.

I have no more respect for people who do collect trophies and platinum trophies in particular than I do for people with no, or few trophies. Its not that I don't respect them, I just don't respect them 'more' because of that - its their preference to collect 'trophies' and their personality that drives them to do this. It can be an addictive thing too - like getting to 100k Gamerscore on Xbox for example or being at the top of a 'leaderboard' - like seeing your name in the arcades top 10 on that game. I used to keep putting in my 10p to top the leaderboard and or fill up the entire top 10 with my initials - just doesn't interest me nowadays though but I do understand that drive and addictive nature that trophies and hearing that pop-up trophy sound offer. To me its now more a sign of their personality than anything else. Not something that necessarily deserves to be respected more.

I don't care if my trophy list has games with zero or only a few trophies - to me that just shows that the game in question didn't do enough to warrant my time. I may return to some and they remain in my 'backlog' but others will never get played again. Those games that generally have the majority or at least the one for 'beating' the game, are generally 'finished' as far as Single player goes. Missing 'challenge' trophies are unlikely to get done as I have little desire to jump into that mission just to get a trophy - especially if that game isn't 'current'. By current I mean that its not in my immediate playlist. I will admit that if I have beaten a game very recently, I may jump back and try to get the odd trophy or two whilst the game is fresh or if they have an MP that's still current, I may jump into the campaign to get the odd trophy as a warm-up before going online or as a wind-down after a session of MP. Point is for me Trophies are something that can 'enhance' a game but not necessarily vital to my enjoyment. Speed running for example has the opposite effect to me, missing all the nuances for example because you are rushing through. Some may find having to collect 100+ hidden items doesn't enhance their experience - for me I often enjoy this as I like to explore off the beaten path but it can affect the flow of the story. When there is urgency indicated, like having to get to point B before a bomb goes off but you opt to go wandering off to find some collectable and return to find the same level of urgency from your AI companion who stood on the path waiting for your return...

Anyway, I would rather see Trophies in games than not overall but I don't see how these often equate to getting the 'most' from a game. How can you get more if you have beaten a game to 100%? Missing a trophy like taking out all 8 helicopters in a 'specific' moment in a chapter that still plays out exactly the same whether you did or didn't get that, or running a gauntlet over and over until you beat a specific time?

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

LieutenantFatman

I do like a nice challenging plat, awesome feeling to finally get the unlock. One of my favourites I managed to attain this year is for Super Time Force Ultra. The final few challenges the game throws at you are pretty nails. I actually had to use cross save near the end as some of the more technical parts are considerably more difficult on the Vita which is what I played most of the game on. One particular challenge was almost impossible on the Vita.

LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

@BAMozzy My personal golden rule for trophy hunting is it has to be fun. I mean, that is why we all play games in the first place, right? They're something to be enjoyed. So if a game has a trophy that requires you to play for 1,000 hours, or get 500 billion kills, chances are I'll pass, nothing fun about those sort of trophies, honestly they're just rubbish. But some developers do think about the trophies they put in and they find challenges that are fun. For example the first plat I went for was Littlebigplanet and one particular trophy was complete all story levels without dying. Acing all levels was a lot of fun for me. If a trophy makes you feel like you've kicked arse and is a bit of a fist pump, fist bump moment then it's a great trophy.

LieutenantFatman

BAMozzy

@LieutenantFatman That's fair enough and its the same principal I apply too. I don't know that I would bother trying to complete 'every' level without dying - not that I enjoyed LBP anyway but its like getting 'gold' on every 'Trials' course for a trophy - some I am happy just to get bronze on LOL.

Something like playing for 200hrs or getting 1000kills for example, I wouldn't go out of my way to get and would generally unlock that through playing. If I am 'close' - like within an hour or two or 100kills - especially if both of these were missing in the same game, I would probably force myself to get them done but I wouldn't set out with those targets in mind.

On Xbox, I really hated achievements that scores were not 'divisible' by 5. I was playing Fifa (09 I think - XB360) and scored in the 89th minute - giving a GS score of 19 which really annoyed me. The Achievement to get the missing 1pt was to play 50hrs of Fifa which I had to do just to get my Gamerscore looking right (divisible by 5 so ending in a 5 or 0). That was last time I played Fifa or any other Footy game.

Most trophies/achievements I will endeavor to collect and a lot do enhance my gaming experience. Going for 10 headshots or Stealth kills in a row adds to the tension, the experience when getting to 8 or 9 - being extra careful to line up that headshot or extra careful creeping into position hoping not to mess up - assuming you hadn't got these in your play through naturally. I have got some like killing 3-5 with a single grenade/explosion/axe swing etc and a lot are awarded for just completing story missions so unlock with general play. I certainly won't get a campaign completion trophy though if I don't enjoy the game but others seem to be determined to get every trophy regardless and get 'upset' if they can't delete games from their records if they only have a couple or less as it brings down their 'completion' stats

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Splat

Plat #47 Assassin's Creed Origins.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Th3solution

@Splat Dude. 47. Impressive. Which platinum are you most proud of?

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Splat

Th3solution wrote:

@Splat Dude. 47. Impressive. Which platinum are you most proud of?

Probably the Mass Effect trilogy as a whole. It's my favorite series and was determined to get all three.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Kidfried

@Splat #47? Should've been Hitman! Anyway, congrats. That 50 is getting close for you.

I got three plats in these last three weeks. That sounds more impressive than it is, by the way. It's Batman (unmissable), Undertale (very short) and... Gravity Rush 2. Of that last one I'm proud, as it took me quite a while.

Kidfried

johncalmc

@Kidfried The Gravity Rush 2 platinum sucks because you have to spend about four years grinding gems as I recall.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

@johncalmc Yes, some of the trophies are pure grinding. Terrible and mindless stuff, but I made it thanks to some great podcasts I had on in the background.

@ZeD You should update your signature by the way! And that's an impressive lot of trophies. And here I was thinking 20+ was a decent number.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Only got 4 Platinums which feels really lame. And 3 of thise are for Telltale games/Life is strange. The 'proper' game is Shadow of Mordor which i am quite proud of and was really fun to do.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

TomKongPhooey

Trophies for Wonderboy Remastered don't seem to work. You just get error messages and you can't find them on your trophy page. Anyone else got this issue or bought this game?

No 1 Superguy!

PSN: TKP_1st

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic