Forums

Topic: The All-Encompassing Indie Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 120

Kidfried

@BAMozzy Fully agree it's impossible to compare the scores of totally different games. A 10 for Uncharted 4 is totally different from the 10 for What Remains of Edith Finch. Like you said, you can't expect the same production values in the latter game.

Talking about What Remains of Edith Finch... (I found it difficult to pick the right thread for this.) I recently started playing this game and I'm still at the beginning of the game. But already, a few rooms in this game has made a lasting impression on me.

I can recommend it to anyone who likes special experiences in their games.. The environments are beautiful, the story has strong themes, but also knows how to have fun with itself. Can't wait to play more of this one.

Of course, the latter half of the game could be a dud. We'll see!

Kidfried

Fight_Teza_Fight

PlayStation Access did a livestream of Crossing Souls.
Day 1. Reminds me of Recess . It's out on the 13th February.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Th3solution

I’ve been playing the divisive little indie Fez off and on over recent weeks and gradually it has grown on me. I definitely still consider it a niche title and I can see why most people probably don’t really care for it after trying it. It’s not particularly hard as far as the platforming and shifting perspective once you get the hang of it, but it is very difficult to navigate the map and find the cubes and keys and just to understand what the heck is going on. I finally got 32 cubes last night and completed the “normal” ending. It was pretty bizarre too. The game definitely does not spoon feed you a clear story. I feel like there is some underlying existential philosophical point to be made here but I’m just not smart enough to see it. It appears that playing through New Game+ is important and rather involved, so I’ve started that. Got the sunglasses now! But the game, or at least the logic of it, is hard enough I resorted to using a guide to help know what to do and I actually started enjoying the game much more when I did that. So now I plan to go through and clear the whole map and pick up all the secrets and anti-cubes so I can see the true ending.

My huge gripe though is how poor the trophies are. After all this time and effort I get just a lousy silver for completing the normal ending! Gah, come on! And there is just one gold at the end for finding everything. That is so lame! But I’m enjoying it enough to play it just for the games sake.
( @themcnoisy @kyleforrester87 - I thought you guys might specifically be interested in an update on how I’m liking the game)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution Good to hear you kept plugging away at it!

Don't be afraid to use guides to be honest. It's thought there are still unsolved puzzles in the game, and there is one in particular that uses a code that's been solved by brute forced but there must be a way to actually solve it using information in the game.

https://kotaku.com/a-look-back-at-fezs-unsolvable-black-monol...

Even the soundtrack is mysterious

https://kotaku.com/5904168/fezs-soundtrack-is-full-of-mysteri...

I will admit I used slight hints to crack the alphabet code in the game but I figured out the Tetris shapes solo.

At completion the game is something like 237% complete and it's such a weird number a lot of people think there must be more out there.

Agree, the trophies kinda suck.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@Th3solution Fez is amazing! I loved every single bit of it. I'm a bit fan of puzzle games, so figuring out how the map works, the language, and all the other hints, it's was very clever.

I believe there's one cube piece you want to look up. I don't think any one till this day knows how to solve it the way it is intended. People only discovered the solution by brute forcing it. But they've been trying to reverse-engineering the solution. And it goes beyond what you would expect of a game. People have found various images in the audio files using a spectrograph, it's pretty complicated, but I there are a few articles on it, it's an interesting read for when you've beat the rest of the game.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution as for the story there's some cool theories out there to build on what's fairly apparent. But generally aliens (which apparently look like jelly fish, but seem to take the form of owls in the game, or perhaps these are just their watchers?) arrive in worlds and give the occupiers the "third eye" which lets them see things in 3D. (I assume the aliens are supposed to exist in the dimension beyond the 3D world?)

The ancient ruined world you goto with the "narrow" head statues is quite interesting because even Gomez cannot shift the camera when inside the houses, and when he does outside the houses the world is on a very narrow plain. Which I think probably means that race of people hadn't evolved to the point where they were able to even comprehend a 3D world and so they had no help from the aliens or the watchers and died out? Kind of like ants walking on the surface of a football, unaware of what's above and below.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 When asked about a Vita version, one of the community guys left a message on the PSblog:

'As we said during our Kickstarter campaign, we are a very small team (just 5 people) and we can only focus on a bunch on platforms for now. Our main goal is to have the game ready and perfectly playable on PC and PS4, and once it’s out we’ll see how it works and what can we make about porting it to other platforms.

We’d LOVE to see Crossing Souls running on a Vita or another handheld platforms, we think the game would fit perfect on them but we can’t plan anything real for now. We are also Vita lovers, but porting into this platform is something unlikely for now. We still need to chat about all of this between us but we’ll make an update soon with clearer and final info ok?'

'...another handheld platforms', seems like he's referring to the Switch .

Supposedly it's been confirmed for Vita since, but I can't find anything concrete.
Just getting this on PS4 now. I don't want to wait for a portable version any longer- I'm still waiting for Cosmic Star Heroine btw!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

themcnoisy

@Th3solution after reading your experience dont grab the witness or statik. Both are puzzle games but absolutely brilliant, alongside fez they subvert your expectations and use clever mechanics and house many secrets. But to some they dont get it, or rather are looking for a different experience from games. My brother in law thought I was mental playing statik, as in "wtf you playing that sh!# for?" But to me Its one of the best games of 2017. The reward or motivation to play is working out the logic and getting in the designers head.

I suppose logic puzzles are not for everyone.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @Octane Thank you both. Those are very interesting articles. I like how one of the user comments says, “What if the solution to the unsolvable puzzle was the community coming together to solve it”. Mind blown.

The game is definitely more than meets the eye. I thought it would be a characteristic puzzle platformer but the more I learn about it the more I realize how deep it is. Puzzlers are not my favorite genre, but it has been a great addition to my gaming experience. It makes me a more well rounded gamer to play these indies and stretch myself a little. I’ve been known to be critical of the casual who just plays COD or FIFA on his PS4 and never even tries out the absolute masterpieces that are available in the library, and I need to practice what I preach and be willing to try new things. So I’m glad I’ve played Fez and I’ll post more of my impressions when/if I get through the 64-cube door. (Which will probably be a while since Shadow of the Colossus, another game with some deep philosophical undertones, is going to derail my play schedule this week.)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

Came across a trailer for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin today. Haven't heard of this game before but it looks quite nice.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Octane

@WanderingBullet The non-descriptive action-adventure game

No idea, someone linked my a few GIFs of this game before E3, this is the first proper trailer I think. It just looks neat, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Untitled

Octane

Kidfried

I've been playing Celeste quite a bit now, and I've almost finished the story. Gameplay wise it's really cool, even though not all levels feel very unique. Especially at the end of each chapter, the game seems to drag on a bit.

The difficulty I'd argue is very perfect. It's hard, it's satisfying and it's snappy. Which means failing is never too frustrating, and the game's curve helps you 'git gud' at the mechanics in a great way.

Story started off really strong, but got a bit too cheesy for me halfway through. I think the problems thrown at characters, in the form of anxiety, really make an impact. And some scenes really hit too close for comfort. But that's great. The resolution felt a bit too cheesy to me and was handled too bluntly.

I think the Push Square review (for those who don't want to read: 8/10) was very fair. The perfect review score on Nintendo Life felt a bit gushy, to be fair.

My interest in the story has dwindled as a result of it, but the gameplay is still engaging enough for me to want to see it through to the end. But first, I'm going tofinish up a few other games. Back to my trusty PS4!

Kidfried

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.