Forums

Topic: Star Wars Battlefront II --OT--

Posts 121 to 140 of 203

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON It is a shame that Starfighter Assault is conspicuous in its absence from the roadmap. After the kinda-cool Hero Starfighter update, I expected at least a couple more heroes to be added in alongside all this new content from The Clone Wars (the obvious being Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter and Grievous' ship). I guess it isn't generating / retaining the player base that the other modes are.

I have some hope for The Rise of Skywalker as a film, but as far as suitable content for Battlefront II goes, we've seen nothing in the (admittedly short teaser) trailer to indicate a well-translated experience. It might just be units, like the Sith Trooper, and a couple hero skins.

Part of the reason we've had such a rich deluge of content from The Clone Wars is because that era serves up ready-made scenarios and locations for massive multiplayer battles. All three of the prequels, as well as around a third of the episodes of the television show, featured vast ground assaults with hundreds of lines of soldiers running at one another... y'know, like an actual war, whereas you look to the original and sequel trilogies for similar and you've only got Hoth, Endor and Crait that work. DICE managed to dream up random scenarios for Tatooine, the Death Star, Yavin IV, Takodana and Jakku (and invented a look for Sullust in the previous game) but it was a bit of a stretch, whereas The Clone Wars prequel era content almost makes itself.

So if we don't see a sweeping battlefield epic in The Rise of Skywalker, then I doubt we'll see an equivalent map in Battlefront II. Which might actually be a bullet dodged.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger B-Wings and Delta 7s wouldn't go amis for sure!

Nice to see the Republic Commandos confirmed, and the other stuff. But yeah, lack of Starfighter Assault attention is a shame.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Not sure if you've seen Rebels or not, but they could easily make Hera Syndulla flying the prototype B-Wing a hero starfighter.

It even has a superlaser special weapon ability ready-made for L1 or R1.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger 😄 I'd seen the ship before, but that's a great scene!

I do love a B-Wing!

I still need to out in more time on BF2. Played in Capital Supremecy again the other night and was quite pleased to have a go in the N-1, well - several unsuccessful flights as the airspace was dominated by a single Hyena that tore me to pieces in seconds of being in weapons range!

With BF2, I really think they should just chuck in all of the ships they can. There's plenty of scope within the set classes and hero varieties to accommodate them.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Elodin

@RogerRoger I'm truly enjoying Capitol Supremacy. It is the closest to the old school battlefront games of capturing nodes. I would like a bigger choice in eras though to allow for the other Jedi to be involved. At least with the 3x xp this last week I was able to get all my clone war heros to blue cards.

Elodin

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON You can also fly the N-1 as a wingman in the Hero Starfighter mode (providing you're on the good side, of course). Everybody was frustrated that it was such a beautiful craft available in such a limited way, so they added it in; you start as a hero ship but if / when you die, you respawn as any generic fighter, interceptor or bomber you like, from any era.

I took out Slave 1 with an N-1 once. Chap was not best pleased.

@Elodin It's a good mode, isn't it? Despite it being somewhat straightforward in terms of gameplay, with a danger for matches to last hours if there's a stalemate, I keep finding myself drawn back to it. I'm glad it's gonna be the basis for the single player offline mode.

I'm still working on Anakin and Dooku, but kinda stopped using Obi-Wan and Grievous when I got them both above Level 30 with purple cards. Surprisingly enough, I never really warmed to Maul (despite him being one of my all-time favourite characters) so I've been trying to use him more, too, especially since Yoda was my best launch hero and so he's been Level 34 for ages. I never use Bossk or Chewbacca but I really should... bottom line is, if I'm ever lucky enough to get a hero, I've still got plenty to be getting on with during Capital Supremacy.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger OOh, I haven't even tried that mode! After a busy weekend of being social and *shudder - outside, I'm going to try ad get some game time in this week.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Hope you enjoy!

Just be warned that, because it's not one of the core modes, Hero Starfighter is one of the only times I've ever had to wait in a lobby for more than two minutes. People seem to be quite hesitant to play it, or at least used to. Try it when Americans are home from work and you might have better luck.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I'll check it out!

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Hero Starfighters is brilliant! Thank you for the heads up.

I'd call that the most satisfying mode in the game so far. Suffer the loading, then a few quick fire rounds of dogfighting goodness!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah; if the loading times were a little quicker, I think the obscure, quick-fire modes would be more popular. I've yet to even try Ewok Hunt, for example.

My only issue with Hero Starfighters is that, no matter the map, they spawn everybody in flying directly at one another, which often leads to a couple cheap deaths as those with steadier hands start firing before many have closed the distance. It'd be cool if, say, one side spawned in above the engines of the Trade Federation Battleship whilst the others spawned in below the docking bay, making people split around the central core.

That being said, I usually wanted to die quicker anyway, as I've never really connected with any of the hero ships; I'm better in the standard classes (most lethal in an ARC-170 or a Y-Wing).

Anywho, you're welcome and glad you had fun!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Yeah. I found that I'd just swing either left or right immediately and punch it to come in from the side.
Did alright using Tallie Lintra's RZ-2. Nice bit of stealth shenanigans in the Scimitar too.

I haven't tried Ewok Hunt either. I'll give it a go at some point.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I always tried flanking, but then after the first round's success there'd always be one opponent who was paying attention and who'd subsequently cut me off.

I've never even tried playing as Tallie Lintra. Annoyingly, my most successful run as a hero was with Poe Dameron's Black Leader X-Wing (I just pretend that I'm playing as BB-8 instead). Whenever I'm on the other side, I try and nab Slave 1.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I only had one or two try, thankfully I know some maneuvers...

Poe's pretty OP I think - even for a hero ship. I've not been great with the A-Wings in Starfighter Assault, but it's a pretty good ship. Her AoE heal ability is pretty useful too.

I did not do well when I tried the N-1 though. Not at all!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON It's ability luck-of-the-draw sometimes.

Healing makes all the difference. I'm not usually a fan of bombers, but the Y-Wing's auto-firing ion cannon and astromech repair ability makes it really, really difficult to die in. That's also why I do well with the ARC-170 because it has the rear gunner and, again, an astromech to repair yourself with, but stick me in a regular X-Wing or, worse, a TIE Bomber and I don't last half as long.

Do you play first-person or third-person in multiplayer?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger That's true - I quite like the ARC-170, it packs a good punch - and it sounds great.

Third mostly. I drop in to first person on occasion - either feeling cocky or just for the nice view. Because everything is so nicely rendered, the light interacting with the canopies looks brilliant - but quite difficult to see through sometimes.

BowTiesAreCool

@RogerRoger Ewok Hunt on a big tv with the lights off is terrifying. Especially as you're locked to 1st person!

BowTiesAreCool

KALofKRYPTON

@BowTiesAreCool @RogerRoger
I'd never looked in to Ewok hunt. Is it always set at night?

RogerRoger

@BowTiesAreCool Yeah, I've seen clips and can believe that! Their eyes glow!!

@KALofKRYPTON Apparently so. A lot of the Ewoks' special weapons and abilities are based around sparking fire slingshots, and the way they disadvantage the Empire is to make everything pitch black and give each Stormtrooper a flashlight on the end of their blaster. It looks really atmospheric but also like it's trying to tap into the popular "streamers on YouTube shrieking at jumpscares" crowd.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Really going to have to try it!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.