Forums

Topic: Should I buy a PlayStation 4 in 2020?

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Octoguy

Ok, everybody just hear me out: I’m a massive Nintendo fanboy and never had a PlayStation or Xbox console before. Ever since a while ago the Persona 5 game caught my attention with it’s amazing visuals and exciting gameplay. I was hoping for a Persona 5 Switch port to be announced today as Persona 5 S, but, as you may know, that turned out to be something different. I was wandering if I should buy a PS4 in 2020 to be able to play Persona 5: Royal and many other awesome PlayStation games, or if I should wait and get a PS5.

Playing: Splatoon 2, Pokémon Let’s Go, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Mario Maker 2

Let’s play together! ⭐️

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Well... Seeing as you don't have to decide til next year at the very least @Octoguy for P5 Royal... just start saving your money up would be the wisest thing to do.

PS5 is supposed to be backwards compatible with PS4 so it should run it and that way you're future proofed on the sony side for a number of years... but we don't really know anything about it yet.

If you decide you don't like the PS5 then a slim PS4 (Or pro as Royal will have support for it apparently) will probably be much cheaper at that point and with the PS5 maybe being $450-500 (Complete guesses based on the details of it's tech the other day) then you'll have a decent chunk of money left over for other PS4 games you want to buy.

Besides in the time between here and 2020 there could always be a switch port announced (Atlus are weird though)

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

You don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis, Persona 3

"No cost too great. No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering" - Hollow Knight

Ryall

The PS4 will give you access to a large number of excellent game is not available on the switch.

As the if it is better to wait for the backwards compatible PS5. Ask yourself if you would have felt shortchanged if you’d bought a Wii for the first time a year before the Wii U came out. @Octoguy

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

Octoguy

Thanks for all the responses! I will probably buy the PS5 so I can enjoy Persona 5: Royal and for the first time get into the Sony side of gaming.

Playing: Splatoon 2, Pokémon Let’s Go, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Super Mario Maker 2

Let’s play together! ⭐️

doctommaso

I think at this point PS5 is your best bet. Also of note — PS5 may well come in early 2020, not necessarily late 2020; just something to think about.

doctommaso

Thrillho

@Octoguy If money is a big issue, I reckon there will be plenty of cheap second hand PS4s on the market once the PS5 launches, especially with backwards compatibility.

Thrillho

Trajan

I just bought a pro last week. No regrets. Most PS5 games will be on PS4 at the beginning anyway. Especially true with it being x86 based as the PS4 is.

My first Sony console as well (aside from a PS2 a friend gave me recently).

It's really nice. I like it more than my Switch already.

Also it might be worth playing the base game before Royal.

Edited on by Trajan

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Kidfried

@Trajan Congrats on the PS4. I hope you'll have as much good memories with it, as I already had with mine.

I think it has been one of the best console experiences ever for me, together with the SNES and the GameCube.

Kidfried

Frigate

As others have mentioned, I'd say it largely depends on your financial disposition. If it's not a massive issue I'd go ahead and buy a PS4 right now because all of the fruits are ripe. If you wait until 2020 you may as well wait for a PS5.

Frigate

Th3solution

@Octoguy
Another option — buy a PS3 now, as you can get those pre-owned for around $100, maybe less. Persona 5 is also on PS3 for about $20 at the most. (I have no idea how well it runs on it but I’ve heard no bad complaints) So for $120 you’ll have access to Persona 5 right now, as well as a huge library (about 1442 to be exact) of PS3 games they will not be backwards compatible on the PS5. Then next year, depending how your finances are going, skip PS4 and jump straight to a PS5. At that point you have access to Persona 5 Royal, as well as all PS3 (because you own one), PS4 (because of BC), and PS5 games. Plus you’ll be able to experience both versions of Persona 5 and not have to wait or pay $300-$400 for a new PS4 that will be obsolete next year. You could get a ton of PS3 games for pennies in the bargain bins at gaming second hand stores.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Does a PS3 still perform ok then? I only question this because when I briefly still had a 360 and my PS4, whenever I used the older console it felt so slow and clunky to use! Suffice to say it did not last long until I traded it in.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I think it functions fine. Actually, I almost never turn on my PS3. I have a backlog of PS3 games that I just can’t be bothered to get into because my PS4 backlog is so huge. 😄
But for someone coming in new to the ecosystem I think the PS3 will work acceptably.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Bonbonetti

If it were me I would wait for the PS5. Even though I'm not 100% sure on what exactly Sony means by "backwards compatible" (i.e. how inclusive and accessible it will be), I think it's safe to assume that all the PS4 exclusive best-sellers will be available for the PS5 as well at some point (God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit, and so on). I wouldn't be suprised if we even saw the Last of Us (1) on the PS5. So it's a better investment to start saving up for the PS5 in my opinion.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

• Pages:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic