Forums

Topic: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Posts 101 to 120 of 160

Throb

Got this in the sale, it's loads better than the last one! Better actual 'Tomb Raiding' this time round. Story is great but did they really have to do underwater stealth sections??? And overhang is pretty awful too. But apart from those elements, a big thumbs up from me

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger wrote:

@JohnnyShoulder Yay! Looking forward to what you think. It'll be interesting because you'll have the DLC tombs integrated into the environments as you progress (although some are left until later in the game, or might not unlock until you've seen the credits). It may therefore feel particularly gargantuan at times, so I'd say you were wise to wait, but even the weakest DLC tomb matches the quality of some found in the core game... and the best? Well, I consider one to be the greatest ever Tomb Raider tomb. Not to oversell it or anything!

@RogerRoger I downloaded all the free stuff from the PS store too, overall there was about 30 bits of DLC. I've tried a few of the different skins, i think I will be sticking to the ones you can craft in the game however, as some of the older ones just looked really out of place and I found it very immersion breaking.

As for the game, really good so far. The tombs and crypts are awesome, very atmospheric. The superb sound design add to this, there is this breathing effect which adds to this creepy feel to parts of the game.

The game is gorgeous to look at too even at this so early stage, although not the absolute best I've experienced on PS4 (that goes to God of War).

I've always preferred the exploration and puzzles more so than the combat in these games. My only real negative take a from the previous two games is that they both ended in Lara facing waves of enemies. Hopefully this one turns out differently! @Th3solution

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Ah yeah, sorry, each DLC tomb comes with an outfit and a weapon, too, and they're all listed separately on your downloads list. Can get a bit crowded!

I didn't really care for any of the outfits, either. They're a little too elaborate for me, outside of narrative context anyway. There was one that's a bit Amelia Earhart, which I liked (as I'd worn something similar for the duration of Rise) but mostly I just stuck to Lara's default.

Weapons could be useful, though. I can see the "Silent Sting" pistol being particularly handy.

As for your first impressions, I'm glad they're so positive! Given your hopes for how the rest of the game will pan out, I'm pretty confident you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger No reason to be sorry, it's not your fault! The size of the the game with all that is just under 40gb and they took seconds to download.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 That's interesting to know as I've just bought a UHD tv. I will let you know once I've tried it out. There have been a couple of sections when it has been really dark and I'm wondering at what point does Lara put her torch on, as I can't see a bleedin thing!

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, given its rich environmental detail, the overall 40Gb file size surprised me, too.

@LN78 I always think that HDR makes everything look a little washed-out. It took me a long time to adjust with some games I'd played before without HDR, but with new games I kinda just "go with it" and trust that my screencaps will look vibrant enough. There are parts of Shadow where the jungle is supposed to have a very fine, light mist, like right after the first proper base camp, but HDR can make it feel a little intrusive.

I guess it's just another setting to consider as a personal preference, alongside brightness, contrast, picture mode, colour range and the like.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, the audio effects are really good. I think you’ll enjoy it. The combat is definitely a little toned down and the focus is on the tombs.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution That's good to know, thanks.

One small annoyance I've noticed is that when Lara goes into stealth mode, she will stay crouched even after you have cleared the area of enemies. Just looks a bit silly when you are going round picking up all the loot and there are no more enemies around.

I found the hidden city. It almost feels like a JRPG in places when you get to a village/city, going round talking some of the inhabitants. Not sure if I'm totally on-board with all that however, as it felt like I just wasted an hour or so talking to people on a side mission.

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on XB1 earlier this year and it was possibly, in my mind, on par with Rise of the Tomb Raider but I wasn't that passionate about it. The wandering around and finding generic side missions felt that it took away from the imperative of the main narrative. I think a more focused experience would have been a little better.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Your reaction to Paititi is almost identical to mine. Stick with it; things improve!

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

The tombs and crypts in this keep getting better and better. They have a more of an old skool tomb raider feel to them. The sunken Spanish galleon was a particular highlight and a surprise!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

Done a couple of the DLC tombs/crypts (what is the difference between a tomb and a crypt?). They have been pretty good so far, I like the fact that there is a little story behind them and not just 'here is a tomb go solve it'.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder If I recall, I think tombs are larger levels with intricate puzzles and crypts are smaller.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder From a real-world perspective, @Arugula is right; the word "tomb" is often used as a catch-all overview word to describe various different types of structures in which the dead are interred, whereas a "crypt" is one such type of tomb, one that is traditionally beneath (but can also be adjoining) a church or family home.

But from an in-game perspective, @Th3solution is bang on. Tombs will come with narrative, either in terms of documentation and backstory if they were included in the main game, or with cutscenes and a few preceding objectives if they're DLC additions.

So everybody gets a cookie! Glad you're continuing to enjoy Shadow.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger @Arugula @Th3solution Thanks all, and I should have specified I meant in real life.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oh, I was thinking of the difference within the game. 😂

JohnnyShoulder

LN78 wrote:

@RogerRoger @JohnnyShoulder Did either of you encounter any difficulty setting up the brightness or HDR in the game? I found the image was either too dim or visibly washed out when compared to the other two games in the series so I ended up switching off the HDR entirely.

@LN78 Yep I ended up doing the same and turned off HDR for this game. Like Rog says it seemed to dull some of the colours. I only have a OG ps4 though. I've not tried it out on any other games yet, I think Spider-Man will be a good one and I will be playing it soon. Movies and Netflix/Amazon Prime look outstanding in UHD however.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Oddly enough, I was playing Just Cause 4 the other day and wondered why it looked much more vibrant than I remembered. Turns out HDR had been deactivated, either via an update or by myself late last year. The difference was like night and day; with it switched on, it's hideous.

I think it really does depend on who's responsible for implementing HDR support on a game-by-game basis, as well as your own personal preference. As @LN78 states, Horizon and Detroit get the balance spot-on, at least in my experience. Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy were also examples of great HDR support, I thought.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD yeah i was holding out for a complete edition too, glad i did

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Hope you find it worth the wait. Enjoy!

EDIT: Whoops, and you too, @Fullbringlchigo (sorry, missed your reply there)!

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.