Forums

Topic: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Posts 101 to 106 of 106

Th3solution

After a couple weeks of not being able to play, I’m back into this game. 60% complete. When I booted it back up I was confused where I was and how to progress, but finally figured it out.
One thing that I find annoying is the lack of control over when Lara turns on her flashlight. It sounds minor, but it will automatically turn on and off when it is perceived to be dark, and there are times when it’s too dark to see in a tomb and I wish I could manually engage the artificial light. On the contrary, I’m playing through a stealth section in the jungle that has me crouching in bushes and against vine covered walls in order to hide and perform stealth take downs, and Lara has her flashlight on while hiding! The AI thankfully ignores the light but it’s pretty immersion breaking.
A small complaint to an otherwise awesome game so far. I felt I needed to give some fair criticism where it’s due and not just be blind to the weak parts.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Th3solution

I completed Lara’s latest adventure and am very satisfied with the game. The previously stated shortcomings are valid and there is a relative lull in the middle of the game, but honestly I enjoyed it throughout. The Push Square review also mentioned the lack of combat scenarios and the feeling that you really didn’t get to spend enough time using all the weapons and upgrades that you acquire, and this is true. However the added emphasis on exploration, climbing and traversal, and story is very welcome. The set pieces were really well done and there is clearly an Uncharted feel to some off them. But the open hubs are much more prominent here than in even Lost Legacy.

The ending was a properly climactic and I liked the final boss fight. Perhaps @RogerRoger or someone can give me their interpretation of the ending. As I see it Lara has become the god that had to be sacrificed by virtue of her defeat of Lopez and possession of the dagger and box. So she had to give her life to save the world from shadow and save the sun. But then when it came to it, the Queen demon lady (forget her name) tried to offer her as a sacrifice, but the dagger was repelled by a blinding light... why? I didn’t understand. Was it because she resisted the temptation to use the power to bring back her parents? I’m assuming that’s what the montage of the flashback represented. It was a little unclear to me what happened as she is then suddenly back in Paititi later and all is well. Perhaps there is some room for interpretation there.
What a joy it was to play this game and although I finished at 95% completion, I am not going to take the time to go back for the last dozen or so relics and documents. They are all likely hidden away far and wide and it might take 4-5 hours. I might try NG+ someday, but I’ve got too many other games to experience right now.
But overall, it’s my favorite of the current trilogy and one of my top 10-15 games on PS4. I’ll have to think about it a little to decide exactly where it will fit in. I’ll let it sink in a bit.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Glad you enjoyed it (perhaps a little more than I did in parts, which is awesome) and thanks for tagging me in your final thoughts, because I was curious! I obviously agree with a lot of your conclusions and have done the same; I'm 98% complete but that might make the search time even longer for those last three or four relics I'm missing, so am saving that for if it's the last thing standing between me and a platinum trophy once all the DLC has been released.

As for your interpretation of the ending, I reckon that there are deliberately two or three variations that you could draw, and it's up to how you want Lara to be integrated into the ritual. Part of me wants to believe that there was never any sacrifice of life, and that when Unuratu (who was originally supposed to be in the role Lara eventually fulfils) speaks of making the ultimate sacrifice, she's talking about resisting her temptations rather than allowing herself to be killed. She does, after all, react with disgust when she and Lara witness a human sacrifice in Paititi, and it would separate her side of the culture war from the corruption and evils of Dr. Dominguez and the Trinity cult. It's also how Unuratu speaks of the preparation for her role that convinces me; there's no suicidal or fatalist edge, but rather a reflective pain about what she's been through, rather than what she's heading towards.

All this supports your theory that the dagger was repelled from Lara because she ultimately said goodbye to her parents and walked away from that same temptation; that isn't to say that the dagger would've struck her if she hadn't, but perhaps the power wouldn't have been transferred and she'd have become the corrupt god they feared Dominguez would, because she'd have needed to retain the power to change history and keep her parents alive.

On a very basic level, though, I think most people would just read it as "she has finally become the hero, stopped being a selfish murderer and started being a selfless protector, and is therefore spared" and call that the conclusion to her character arc, which I'd be perfectly fine with as well.

I forget, did you get the Season Pass? If so, will you be waiting for all the DLC to be released, or will you play it as-and-when it's released? I'm undecided about how to approach it.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I did not get the Season Pass, unfortunately. I kind of wish I had, seeing as how much I have enjoyed it and crave a little more; maybe I’ll purchase it later when it is all complete, or at least when a few of the installments have been released after several months.
As far as the ending, first my apologies for butchering (no pun intended) Dominguez’s name and calling him Lopez. I wrote that at 11 PM after a long day. Yeah, that’s my excuse. 😒
And I did go and watch on YouTube the “accidentally” included alternate final scene that was patched out. It really makes a lot of sense to allude to Jacqueline Natla with showing the letter, and I think it is a cool nod to the upcoming adventures Lara will have. They opted to rather include the drawing of the Pyramid and the dinosaur as the foreshadowing Easter Egg. But the removed scene is of ‘final release’ quality and looks to make such sense that I wonder if the whole thing isn’t an intentional ruse to reward the fan base with a nugget of treasure for those willing to explore and search for it. It’s a real life allegory of the gameplay. I’ll choose to believe it was an ingenious reward for the dedicated rather than an accidental editing mistake.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Okay, well I'll try and play the first couple ASAP and come here to give some impressions, then, and that might help you decide what to do.

And don't worry, I knew what (or indeed who) you meant!

Being totally honest? I never even considered that about the original ending; that's an awesome way of looking at it, giving the fans a real-life treasure hunt to complete. I just assumed that they wanted to stop any immediate speculation about the next game being a reboot / remake of TR1, which we've already had in Anniversary, after some PR person or games tester asked them to explain the letter. I like your theory more!

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

Cpt_Price

I finished it yesterday and it was disappointing,shallow story,unsatisfying combat,obsolete animations,I believe the first one is the best.

Edited on by Cpt_Price

Cpt_Price

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic