Forums

Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 431

ApostateMage

"You Sir, are a fish."

My favourite Arthur line yet, it cracks me up every time he says it whilst fishing.

ApostateMage

Gremio108

Today I was on top of a train and I whistled for my horse. It started running alongside the train, so I thought I'd jump straight on to it. 'This will look really cool' I thought. Sadly I timed my jump to meet a passing telegraph pole...

@Th3solution I'm still unsure about those quick-draw duels. Whenever I try to time it perfectly and gradually draw the gun, I get killed. Today I had another go at a duel, so I decided to just press R2 straight away. Arthur drew his gun and shot the guy instantly. So what's the point of slowly pressing the trigger? I don't quite get that yet.

@WanderingBullet If it's anything like GTA, your inventory goes back to what it was before you started the mission replay, so I wouldn't worry about looting stuff. I've not actually replayed a mission yet so it might be worth double-checking that, but I'm assuming that's the case.

@johncalmc Speaking of the mission replays, do you know if the stranger missions are included for the trophy? Also, I've heard that is that unlike GTA V, you now have to do all the requirements in one replay, is that true? Because that would make the trophy a lot less do-able.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Thrillho

@Gremio108 The longer it takes you to fully depress R2, the more dead eye time you have once you do I think. You can use the extra time to shoot the gun out of your opponent's hand in order to not kill them.

Thrillho

Gremio108

Right people listen up. If you've been taking pictures with Arthur's camera and you fancy checking out some of the pics people have uploaded to Rockstar Social Club, don't do it. There are some major, major spoilers on there.

There are some tabs on the website (friends' completion stats etc) which, if you click on them, a warning comes up saying "this section may contain spoiler information". The photos page doesn't have that warning, so I foolishly thought Rockstar had been vetting the submitted photos. So I blissfully scroll down and BAM!

I'm not kidding around here guys, DO NOT go on there.

ApostateMage

@Gremio108 Cheers for the heads up. I was gonna check out some pics on the Rockstar Social Club but I had a feeling there would be spoiler pics.

ApostateMage

Gremio108

@ApostateMage Me too at first, but then I got lulled into a false sense of security. I thought I'd just be seeing some nice pictures of waterfalls and stuff, instead I ended up crying a river

starhops

Do you all think it would be fun to create a new RDR2 thread on the crazy stuff that has happened in this game? Try to keep it spoiler free?

For example, when I aimed my gun at a goat once and then ignored it and was walking away, I get knocked on my butt and there was the goat! all angry at me. Then I hear from the lady on the porch in that lazy southern drawl, "Well, now that sure was a sight to see."

Damn, this game is crazy.

starhops

PSN: starhops

WanderingBullet

How soon in the game should I start exploring (free-roam) the game? I just reached Chapter 2. Or should I stick with the story missions first?

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

johncalmc

@WanderingBullet Without veering into spoiler territory, explore before doing story missions. I mean, you don't need to go all over the map or anything, but make sure you do side quests, stranger missions, camp missions, companion stuff - do whatever you can before doing main missions. There's no obvious sign to tell you when doing a story mission is going to change what's available to you, and some things you just can't do any more at certain points.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

@WanderingBullet The idea behind it is that exploration will come either naturally or by way of missions, etc. Honestly just do whatever you feel like.

If you see side quests on your map or random strangers calling for you, go to them if you feel like. If you feel like hunting do that. Otherwise, do whatever story mission you think is most attractive.

One basic tip is to always look on your map before doing main missions, to see if there are minor missions available.

That being said, it's difficult to exactly asses what the result will be of a mission. You might still lock yourself out of stuff. But that's kind of the point. You're not supposed to know what the results of your actions are beforehand.

Don't be concerned with getting all missable missions or trophies, because they are not worth the trouble nor is it worth for the spoilers you'll have to look up for it. It's a bit like Zelda Breath of the Wild in that way (but cooler).

Kidfried

NecuVise

I've been playing this game for the last two days and my feelings are mixed. It's great, I'm enjoying it but sometimes I feel like it's too slow and it takes forever for something to happen but when something happens it's amazing. All in all I'm enjoying it and can't wait to play again but it's not perfect.

What's impressive is the amount of small things which by itself are minor but they collectively point to impressive design philosophy. For example, I was impressed when I saw how my horse (Roach) raised its tail and pooped and you could actually see poop raining down. My wife laughed at it but it just shows how many small details are there.

I'm trying to stick to main missions and not veer away from them but if there's a question mark on my way somewhere I'll probably check it out.

NecuVise

Th3solution

@NecuVise @Kidfried @Wanderingbullet It’s amazing how different everyone’s playthrough will be. My general approach is the same, I’m hitting white markers and question marks and strangers if I’m in the area or on the way somewhere, but I’m not sure I feel inclined to ride across the country for an hour to get to something and then ride back. When I played Horizon Zero Dawn I tried to hit every single marker, every bandit camp nearby, every corrupted zone before advancing the mainline story, and it did burn me out a bit. I also found myself way overleveled for the main story missions by the time I got to them. Only after I focused on progressing did I really get excited about where the game was going and started to appreciate the story.
Red Dead is a little different though. Since the world is even more intricate and the sheer volume of random events is a big part of the experience, I’ll spend some time exploring more and see how it goes. But I think the big picture is that it seems pretty much impossible to experience every single event in the game without pouring countless hours into it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ApostateMage

@starhops I love unscripted moments like that in Rockstar's games.

A similar thing happened to me. I was up in the mountains and was peering over a cliff edge at the gorgeous view when all of a sudden I was rammed off to my demise by a devious elk. I just had to laugh.

ApostateMage

Kidfried

@NecuVise I think the pacing is perfect actually. Yes, it's different, and requires a LOT of patience. Not everybody will like that. But I think it's perfect in what it wants to achieve.

For instance, you can play poker for half an hour, and then out of the blue someone will mention something interesting to find, or give a unique piece of backstory on a character. If that would have happened immediately or within five minutes it wouldnt have felt as natural or unique as it did now.

Of course, I get why not everyone will like that. I dread it now that me and my partner's professional lifes have gotten into a maelstrom (the positive one), so I hardly feel like making progress anymore. But that's what the game is.

Not saying the overall game is perfect, by the way. The controls aren't a 10/10 at all.

Kidfried

Thrillho

I've finally made it to chapter two!

I might be done by mid 2019 at this rate.

Thrillho

starhops

@ApostateMage That! Haha! So many little things make this game really great.

I'm not sure why people complain about the pacing or anything else about it. This game isn't really an action/adventure game, imo. It's more about the story and character experience--like any good RPG. Those that are skipping because it it's not face-paced are missing out on a wonderful gaming experience. But I understand, slow RPG games are not everyone's style of game. Me? I'm a sponge! I get so sidetracked ALL.THE.TIME!
"Hey, Arthur. I need your help."
"Okay."
Literally, days later I show up because I was just wondering around; meeting people; hunting; playing poker; exploring, etc. Good thing this game doesn't set time expectations on me!
@Thrillho I'm still in chapter two, myself. Though I think I'm getting close to three... maybe??

starhops

PSN: starhops

Kidfried

@Thrillho As long as you're having fun, that shouldn't be a problem at all. The Witcher 3 (including its DLC) was the main game I played for over half a year in 2017 - and a big reason why I missed out on some of that year's biggest games. I don't regret that one bit, though. I had an amazing time with that game, and am rather glad I took the time to invest in that world.

Kidfried

roe

I'm on Chapter 3 now but I must've played at least 40 hours so far. I don't wanna rush it and am very much enjoying taking my time with it. I'm also slowly exploring each new area I progress to in the story. I feel like I know Valentine, Strawberry and Rhodes as well as my own town now. Had a lovely walk down by the lake earlier with my horse Sunburn and now just about to head back into town to pick up some more cigarettes and a newspaper.

What a game.

roe

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.