Forums

Topic: Ps4 Slim with 4K tv that has HDR,Will it look better than a 1080 p tv?

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

hulkie

Anyone know?

Edited on by Tasuki

hulkie

kyleforrester87

I understand it depends, 1080p may look a bit better upscaled on to a 4k screen but equally it may not, or you won't notice any meaningful difference. Of course if you have a good quality 4k TV you'll benefit from an increase in overall picture quality (if not higher resolution) and most importantly if it's HDR10 that'll make supported content look far superior to your old 1080p television.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

BAMozzy

HDR is a 'bigger' upgrade to the picture than the resolution - especially as a lot of Pro games are 1440p or less anyway so still going to be upscaled to 4k. Of course that also depends on the 'quality' of the TV and its HDR capability as it could actually look 'darker' if it doesn't have the best contrast. Decent HDR TV's have better Black quality (LCD's - which benefits both SDR and HDR), better colour range, higher bit depth and significantly better contrast.

Games can look a little softer on a 4k TV because they are being upscaled by at least 400% to fit the screen. With 1080p TV's, you are mapping the pixels 1:1 so it looks 'sharp' and precise. Its the same amount as upscaling 540p SD to HD but its not quite as bad as that because you are starting with a much higher pixel count to start with and the pixels are much smaller. Its not too obvious unless you have a 'big' screen or get very close so it might not be much of an issue.

Its not a simple 'yes/no' answer as it can depend on a few different factors but the 'general' answer is that it can look better thanks to the addition of HDR.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

hulkie

Thanks everyone,this is a 2017 Samsung 40" model.

hulkie

BAMozzy

@hulkie At a guess, I would assume its an MU model (not a Q series at 40") which offers decent black level - better than most 1080p LCD TV's so should be an improvement. HDR may not be the 'best' HDR and depending on model number, will depend on just how 'good' the HDR experience may be but could still add something above your SDR TV. Some don't really add a lot - more HDR compatible than delivering HDR quality images but if you are used to SDR, it can still add something. I don't know if your HD TV is the same size but 40" isn't really that big and so you shouldn't have too much issue with upscaling - but you also may not see much benefit in content - especially movies - at the 'average' viewing distance.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

hulkie

This tv is a mu 6102,and its 40 inches compared to my current 32 inch 1080 p tv.

hulkie

BAMozzy

@hulkie Well the increase in size will be a big boost to the image but HDR is 'poor'. Its more a SDR TV that is HDR compatible - in other words will play HDR content instead of getting a 'this content is not supported' message or just a blank screen but you won't be getting HDR - just a very scaled down version. HDR has a much wider colour gamut (range) as well as having much greater contrast (difference between Black and the brightest point) which can give much better specular highlights. This TV doesn't offer any of those things. It may look 'brighter' because the TV will go up to max but that's ~350nits - HDR LCD TV's should be at least 1000nits - and I bet your 1080p TV will offer 250-300nits on max too. Like I said, it also doesn't offer the wider range of colours either so don't judge HDR based on what this TV can offer as its not offering HDR as it was meant to be viewed at all. The biggest benefit will be the increase in screen size and the decent black level should help too.

For gaming, Samsungs offer a great input Lag - one of the lowest - only the new Samsung Q series are better but they also offer Variable Refresh Rate too and are 'expensive'. So from a gaming perspective, it should at least feel good - even with 1080p games.

Edited on by BAMozzy

hulkie

Now that Ive got this tv, I don't need anything else to be ps5 compatible?

hulkie

BAMozzy

@hulkie Its likely to be 'compatible' as in 4k up to 60fps and compatible with 'HDR' too but if they add Game VRR and Atmos Audio (like the X has) then you won't get those features. If it can offer more than 60fps too because its HDMI2.1 then again the TV won't be able to deliver that at over 1080p. Of course it really depends on what the PS5 offers as that is all speculation.

I would be surprised if Game VRR isn't offered and Atmos seems like the inevitable upgrade - especially as 4k HDR blurays offer Atmos audio. You may be able to get that though through connecting it to a suitable Amp and passing the 4k image to the TV. 60fps may well be the target of most AAA games anyway but with HDMI2.1 and VRR, they could offer up to 120fps. Even 40fps would work and be better than 30fps with VRR so it seems inevitable that the PS5 will support that.

The PS5 is at least a year away and who knows what features it could offer. Sony have partnered with Dolby Vision on their TV's so the PS5 'could' offer Dolby Vision in its Bluray Player and games too - Samsung TV's don't (and are unlikely to) support Dolby Vision but you should still get HDR - just not Dolby Vision HDR if they do add that.

The truth is, we don't actually know what the PS5 is going to have. There are a number of features that are 'likely' - such as VRR and Atmos and as HDMI 2.1 is 'likely' too, they could add 4k/120 but no current TV can offer 4k/120 because they are HDMI2.0. I don't know if the TV you have supports 1080/120 as quite a few don't despite the fact HDMI2.0 can handle that. It should still 'work' with the PS5 - even if these are available features in the PS5 - you just won't be able to use them - but its still 'compatible'. Its a bit like plugging in a Pro to a 1080p SDR TV, you can't access HDR or get the full benefit of the extra resolution, you don't get the full benefit of HDR on your TV either but its still compatible with HDR devices - I expect the PS5 will be no different.

JohnnyShoulder

I reckon the PS5 will have a kettle and toaster built in for making hot drinks and tasty toast while you game.

And no your tv will not be compatible with the toaster and kettle.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

hulkie

Thanks Bamozzy.

hulkie

hulkie

Everyone was so helpful last time in helping me get my 1st ever relatively cheap 4k tv. Now I need your help with getting a second one for another room. Is this tv at least as good as my Samsung mu 6102? The tv im looking at is the LG 43" UK6300.

hulkie

BAMozzy

@hulkie I would personally say that it is a LOT worse BUT it really depends on what criteria you would be looking to buy it for. If you are looking at getting a TV for a wider viewing angle and not overly bothered by black quality, happy to put up with dark grey instead of black, then it may well be OK. LG LCD displays are built using IPS screens which means they offer a wider viewing angle BUT compromise black quality and more apt for bloom/bleed. They perhaps suit those on a low budget that may not use much HDR and need a wide viewing angle for their seating arrangements but compared to the MU you already have, you will probably be disappointed with the PQ because the blacks won't be as dark and thus cannot reach the same contrast and the colours will not pop as much.

Unless you are looking specifically for a 'wider' viewing angle, you are much better off looking at another Samsung for example. It should be equally as easy and familiar to set up as your current one, similar OS and menu's. Similar Picture Quality but better Input Lag for gaming (NU 2018 range).

It really depends on what you want or need it for but I would NOT recommend the LG's unless you have no choice. Its a worse image but more consistently worse whether you view at an angle or not where as a Samsung (for example) has a fantastic image if you view head on but is worse as you move off centre. If you need a wide viewing angle where everyone gets a 'poor' image as opposed to just those at an angle, then go for an LG. I say poor but its only poor compared to the quality you can get from VA based LCD TV's - like the Samsung - when viewed from a head-on perspective. Its not too bad compared to some LCD TV's from 5yrs+ as they were typically IPS panels.

I would recommend sticking with a Samsung - it may actually be 'beneficial' for a gaming perspective as it might (may have to double check which NU TV's do if not all) offer Game VRR and Low Latency mode for gaming. I know Sony don't offer a compatible console yet - its only the XB1X so far - but I would be very surprised if the PS5 doesn't offer VRR (Variable Refresh Rate - basically eliminates judder and screen tear as the TV refreshes with each new frame) so it may well be beneficial down the line...

Hope this helps.

hulkie

Thanks @BAMozzy . I just might get it anyway,it wont be hooked up to my ps4. This will only be used ocassionally for a 4k movie,and some tv watching.

hulkie

BAMozzy

@hulkie The choice is yours and the ONLY reason to buy it, is that the PQ doesn't drop off if you watch it at an angle not that it is great from a head on view compared to what you can get elsewhere so not a lot to drop off. If you sit in front of the TV, don't watch at an angle, the Samsung is a LOT better - regardless of whether or not you use it for gaming. The PQ is better because the black level is better which makes both SDR and (especially) HDR look better and the colours look better, more vibrant. In every situation - regardless of whether you are watching the occasional movie or TV, playing games etc, the Samsung is better.

You asked if this TV was at least as good as your MU Samsung and the answer is a categorical NO. It cannot do the quality of 'blacks' and shadows which impacts on EVERYTHING - regardless of whether its HDR or SDR, regardless of whether you are just watching TV, the occasional movie or playing games - what ever you are trying to display on screen, the PQ will be worse than your Samsung. It may be a bit better than watching your Samsung at a wide angle but it will be closer to that PQ than the PQ you get from watching the Samsung head on.

Its your money and you may well be OK with that PQ but that is your choice to make. Its not my money and not me that has to put up with that PQ so you have to make that choice as its you that will be watching it but my advice would be to look elsewhere. Even if you don't plan on playing games or getting a PS5 that could benefit from having a 4k TV with VRR, the Samsung is still going to give you the best PQ for the money because its using a better panel technology for the best PQ - even if that means it drops off at wider angles. The only time I would recommend the LG would be if it was that, a no name cheap shops own model or go without. Honestly its one of the poorest 'branded' models on the market - its only better than the Sony's for gaming or for full bandwidth HDMI ports, both of which are worse (Gaming) or matching (HDMI ports) the Samsung. If its 'good' enough for you, then that's your decision but its probably the worst 'branded' TV in that bracket.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.