Forums

Topic: PS4 slim CUH-2015A - unable to read newer discs?

Posts 1 to 3 of 3

heweaver

I work in a repair shop and a customer brought in his PS4 because he is having trouble reading NEWER games. For example, "Kingdom of Amalur: Re-Reckoning". When you try to launch the game, it will either say it cannot read the disk or something. The disk looks perfect, no scratches or anything at all on it. Sometimes the game will launch just fine, but when zoning to a new area it may crash and say it was unable to read the disk.
He can take the exact same disk to any other PS4 he has access to (his friend, his cousin, etc) and it works perfectly.
We thought maybe his lens was dirty so we ordered a PS4 compatible laser lens cleaner disc which ran but did not seem to make any difference. Any other game or dvd or music CD works perfectly in this PS4, but only newer games on bluray seem to intermittently not read in this PS4.
They have said they would like to put the money into fixing this UNIT. My question is, would it be the drive itself I would need to replace? Is there a certain model bluray drive that has an issue with newer games? If that is the case, and I replace the drive with one just like it, would I be likely to run into the same issue? And with replacing the bluray drive on PS4's, exactly what would I need to replace? The drive itself as well as the PCB board? I've never had to actually replace a bluray drive on a PS4 before but I was reading that it is more involved than simply swapping the drive itself.

Thanks!

Edited on by antdickens

heweaver

Ryall

@heweaver Is the system software up-to-date? Has the PS4 been connected to the Internet recently? It sounds to me more like a software problem than a hardware problem.

Ryall

heweaver

We did connect to the internet and updated the system software to 8.0 last night...then we also started in safe mode and rebuilt the database as per another suggestion and that did not make a difference either. Someone else suggested maybe changing the laser deck and not the drive itself?

heweaver

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.