Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 941 to 960 of 2,111

Wesker

@JohnnyShoulder Just seeing this now, but have fun! NFS Payback is pretty awesome. I never had a problem with the modding system, other than It can be a little time consuming, but it's all good. Don't remember any micro-transactions, but you probably can get boosts, perks, and other stuff that you don't need.

Edited on by Wesker

Wesker

JohnnyShoulder

@Wesker Cool, I look forward to playing it!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Alright. Thinking about downloading either God of War or Marvel's Spider-Man in the sale.

For those who don't know my peculiarities:

• Not a huge fan of "cinematic" games with a ton of talking and forced walking, and prefer a focus on gameplay
  • I enjoy exploration and interactive environments in my games
  • An excellent story is preferred, but not required

Anyone have any opinions about which game I ought to opt for?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@Ralizah Both fit those categories but I’d say God of War wins out in the second category in particular as the different areas of the world are much more distinct whereas Spidey is quite samey throughout NYC.

I’d also put God of War as one of the best of this generation with Spidey merely being a great game.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Tasuki I thought I tag you as I remember a while back you were left disappointed by The Crew 2. If you've not played Need for Speed Payback I can reccomend it if you still have that itch for that type of game. It has the same sort of vibe as the first Crew.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

MikeSteel

Hey guys, just about to get a PS4 and I have the choice of getting it with either Spider-Man or Days Gone.

Which would you recommend, I will probably buy the other at some point but which would you suggest I get and why.

MikeSteel

Ryall

@MikeSteel Assuming both bundles cost the same and you have read reviews and you think you would enjoy both equally. Days Gone is new and therefore more expensive if you’re planning on getting both anyway and it would make sense to have Days Gone as part of the bundle and pick up Spider-Man separately as it’s cheaper.

Ryall

MikeSteel

@Ryall

Yes both bundles are the same price. I’ve enjoyed the Spidey games before and Days Gone is usually the type of game I buy.

Thanks for the advice. What other games would you suggest, apart from those 2?

MikeSteel

JohnnyShoulder

@MikeSteel God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are must plays ps4 exclusive wise. If you are after something a bit different Until Dawn and Detroit Become Human surprised me how much I enjoyed them. And last but not least, Bloodborne is highly recommended if you like those type of games. Pretty much all the exclusives are worth a shot depending on what you like. Apart from the Knack games, you can skip those.

Th3solution

@MikeSteel Welcome to the forums, by the way! And welcome to the PS4, your new favorite console. I see you have an Xbox One, so assuming you’ve played all the good multi-platform games already, then the exclusives are definitely the place to start. I agree with @JohnnyShoulder ‘s recommendations, namely HZD, Detroit, and Bloodborne. There are hardly any bad exclusives in the bunch, but notably:

For open world, story driven 3rd person action adventure games (in the vein of Spider-Man and Days Gone) -
Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy are wonderful. Assuming you played 1-3 on the prior gen, but if not, then start with the remasters on The Nathan Drake Collection.
Infamous Second Son and First Light are pretty good too. Especially if you played Infamous 1 & 2 on prior gen, but if you didn’t, it’s not required.
For your Japanese gaming fix -
If you like brawlers and excellent story (albeit quirky as well), then the Yakuza series is popular. Most people start with Yakuza 0, which is the only of the long series I have played but liked it, just too many games to have gotten to the others yet. Between Y0 and Y6, there are remasters of 1 and 2 on PS4.
Also Gravity Rush remastered and Gravity Rush 2 are wonderful open world-ish action games with a little bit of Japanese flair, hard to put into a specific genre.
And of course Persona 5 is the go-to exclusive JRPG, if you like story heavy, life-sim, and turn based combat.
Other random eccentric types of games -
Shadow of the Colossus Remake is extremely well done, even if you played the original on PS2 or PS3 it worth a go. And if you like Ueda’s games, The Last Guardian is supposed to be fantastic, but I haven’t got to it yet.
Definitely play Ratchet and Clank if you have any affinity for 3rd person shooting and 3D platforming. Even if you never played R&C on PS2 and PS3, you’ll like this reboot.

Phew! That’s quite a bit right there. The joy of this is that most of these games are dirt cheap now. Especially with the current Days of Play sale, I think the Uncharted games are $10 and HZD would be around that price also. Those would be my recommended starting points, based on your interest in Spidey and DG.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@MikeSteel Add another welcome from me.

Just to throw in another thought, since you didn't specifically ask about exclusives, but if you're a fan of Spider-Man and the superhero genre in general then you can't go wrong with the Batman Arkham games. On PS4, you'd wanna go for Batman: Return to Arkham (which contains remasters of the first two games, Asylum and City) and then Batman: Arkham Knight to complete the trilogy. They'd be quite cheap by now, I'd imagine.

Otherwise yes, the recommendations above (especially Horizon: Zero Dawn) are spot-on. Enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

MikeSteel

@RogerRoger
Thanks for the advice, so I’ve just picked up my brand new PS4 Pro with Days Gone.

Just updated my console and currently waiting for the game to load.

Think I’ll leave the Arkham games as I’ve got them on xbox. What’s Horizon zero dawn, what kind of game is it?

Oh my id is Mike__Steel (2 underscores) if anyone wants to add me.

MikeSteel

JohnnyShoulder

@MikeSteel Horizon Zero Dawn is a third person open world game. You fight robot dinos!

MikeSteel

@JohnnyShoulder
Looks good, with the sale on I might even get the ultimate edition. Also the Spider-Man deluxe.

So have been playing Days Gone for a couple of hours and noticing that the sound is pretty glitchy, is it just mine or is it a common thing?

MikeSteel

JohnnyShoulder

@MikeSteel I also wouldn't be too worried about missing a game in a current sale if you can't afford it or anything, they come up almost constantly and HZD often crops up in them.

klky

@Ralizah Sorry for the late reply as I just joined Push Square 2 hours ago. I have both God of War and Spider-Man, both of which are fantastic and very polished. I may be in the minority but I preferred Spider-Man to God of War. I'm also not a huge fan of overly cinematic games but Spider-Man gets going pretty quickly and I preferred the pace overall. What makes Spider-Man really stand out for me is the speed at which you can explore your surroundings not only horizontally but vertically too! Being Spider-Man, you don't need to find a plane or a helicopter, you just swing around or run up the side of buildings. That makes it pretty unique, and a ton of fun, compared to the other open world games. With the myriad of ways you can take down the bad guys, I also found it less repetitive than other games.

Edited on by klky

klky

Ralizah

@klky Thanks for the recommendation. The ease of locomotion is definitely something that gives points to Spider-Man, as I love big, open games with joyously free movement. Both Breath of the Wild on the Switch and Gravity Rush on the PS Vita/PS4 benefited greatly from that.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

klky

Having properly gone through the PS store during the DOP sale, a few titles caught my eye which I would like to check out at some point.

Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
The Last Of Us Remastered
Batman Arkham Knight

I reckon I would enjoy all of these. Which would you most recommend? I’ve not played any of the previous Uncharted or Batman titles.

Edited on by klky

klky

WanderingBullet

@klky Hi, I would recommend (in order):

1) The Last Of Us
2) Uncharted 4
3) Batman Arkham Knight

Haven't played Uncharted Lost Legacy.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic