Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 881 to 900 of 2,111

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for that; I think I'll go for the Platinum cans, then. The lack of updates doesn't bother me so much, but the fact you made the same upgrade as I'm considering and noticed an improvement makes me happy in my choice, cheers.

A sudden germ attack means I'll grab them later in the week, though. Last thing I wanna do with all this pressure on my head is wear headphones!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger You could get some Pulse ones and whack the vibration up - sort you right out!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I'm certain they would (if "sort you right out" means "will make your head explode, meaning you could never get another headache because you'll have no head").

I think I'll just eat some spicy food and drink Lemsip, ta.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution Thanks (and sorry for the late reply) to you both! Keeping what both of you said in mind I decided to buy both games. I have yet to try either of them (as I have been distracted by BioShock), but I'm sure I'll get to them soon enough!

Tjuz

TG77

Can anyone recommend any games that doesn't involve fighting and shooting?

Thanks,

TG77

Th3solution

@TG77 Yeah, there are a lot of options. Here are some really good games, depending what you like....
Are you looking for a —
Zen experience? Journey. Abzu. Flower.
Puzzle game? Fez. The Witness is supposed to be awesome, haven’t played it yet personally.
Puzzle and Zen experience? Tetris Effect for sure.
Racing? I liked OnRush recently and can recommend it. Haven’t played many racing games.
Story / Walking Sims / Choice based? What Remains of Edith Finch. Firewatch. Life is Strange. Oxenfree. Detroit: Become Human. Virginia.
Platformer? I’m not much of a platformer player, but I really liked Inside and Limbo. I know there are many more
Music games? Playing Persona 4 Dancing All Night right now and it’s fun.
Sports?
Simulation?
RTS?
I could keep going. If you narrow it down I might be able to be more specific.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

TG77

@Th3solution thanks for the advice. Anything that involves a bit of a quest / adventure, I don't mind controlling a battle just don't want to do the actual hacking and slashing.

Thanks for your help.

TG77

Th3solution

@TG77 If you don’t mind controlling a battle through giving commands and you want a grand adventure/quest then maybe a traditional turn based rpg, especially JRPGs favor the turn based combat instead of the action combat. Final Fantasy XII, the remaster on PS4 called Zodiac Age, is good for just a game where battles involve issuing commands and there is a gambit system where you can actually program the party members AI on what circumstances to attack, cast magic, heal, etc and once you have gambits set up how you like it the battles pretty much fight themselves with minimal input from you. It’s actually pretty fun but takes some getting used to. It’s more strategy based approach to combat rather than quick reflex button mashing. Other turn based RPGs might suit you too, Dragon Quest 11 is supposed to be good, but I can’t vouch for it having not played it. Persona 5 is also turn based, and dungeons have multiple enemy encounters but combat is turn based rather than hack and slash. Also Trails of Cold Steel which re-release just came out for PS4 is turn based RPG. So if a long rpg adventure sounds good then look into those.
Stardew Valley is a good shout from @Frigate and people say it’s a pretty laid back addictive game. I haven’t played it.
And yeah, if you want more story and quick-time-events for any combat scenes, then the Quantic Dreams game’s are great. I loved Detroit, but Heavy Rain is really good too. Very story heavy though, rather than explore the world and go on quests.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Don't suppose anyone here has played Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth or more so it's sequel Hacker's Memory?

I've already looked it up myself (Multiple reviews and some gameplay) and am already intrigued by it, especially as there aren't many Pokémon-esque style games on PS4 and a lack of more traditional turn based games this gen too.

Not to mention it's available for a mere tenner...

... Any input/recommendations for it would be nice!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Octane

@TG77 Fez and The Witness are two of the best puzzle/adventure games on the PS4. No combat involved, and there's definitely a sense of adventure in the way you're discovering new things and new locations.

Games like Journey, ABZU, and Firewatch have little to no combat either, but are quite short experiences, so if you're looking for a good time sinker, they may not be the best choices.

The Last Guardian is also one of my personal favourites. An adventure game with very little direct combat as well.

Octane

Kidfried

Games without combat, that's an interesting one. From the top of my head, these are some I played last year:

• Yoku's Island Express, feel good, focus on exploration and pinball platforming. Very fresh game and the perfect palette cleanser.
  • What Remains of Edith Finch. Probably the best 'walking sim' ever made. The game is more interactive than just pressing forward and has a lot to offer. Very special game.
  • Rime. Beautiful art style, some puzzle platforming, but mostly just roaming through these amazing sceneries. Some parts are like Zelda The Wind Waker without the combat, other parts are not. @RogerRoger is the expert on this one.

Also: Parappa

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@TG77 Yes, thanks to @Kidfried for the tag, RiME is an excellent combat-free game and comes highly recommended. It's potentially very emotional in parts, however, so brace yourself. The character is sometimes in what DVD boxes call "mild peril" but it's brief. Otherwise, all of the puzzles and platforming is simple, straightforward and relatively easy to figure out. Well worth a look-see because as we've kinda discovered, combat-free games are an interesting proposition and definitely few and far between.

It's pretty pricey for what you get, but check out Submerged as well. Feels like an old PS3 game in parts but has the potential to deliver some really beautiful moments. A totally combat-free game which is also pretty light on direct story, but I found it satisfying enough to act as a nice counterbalance to frantic shooters and superhero punch-up games.

Should you like the look of walking simulators, I'd also recommend Firewatch and Virginia.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Somebody around here has written about Digimon games before, but I can't recall exactly who, sorry. Might be worth digging through some of the generic topics or performing a forum search, as I remember they spoke in quite some detail (if I'm remembering correctly, that is).

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I just took a look through the forums/topics using the search function correctly (hopefully) @RogerRoger ... sadly I don't think anyone has played them! Thanks anyway!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ah, nuts. Apologies for that. Wonder where I'm getting that from, then... I'll think on it and let you know if I remember where I saw them, because they were good paragraphs.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

If it was recently... it may of actually been me @RogerRoger !

It was research for a PS3 Digimon fighting game for mcnoisy's thread of rating the entire PS3 Library!

It's actually what inspired me to look and see if there was actually any good Digimon games 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy No, it wasn't that recent! But thanks anyway!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I kinda liked Digimon as a franchise, but the recent games seemed a bit ho-hum to me; quite bland. I'm certain the franchise isn't as big as it used to be, and can't afford a high budget, but still.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @RogerRoger It might have been KratosMD who sadly no longer posts. I think his profile is still active though so it might be worth searching through his previous posts.

Edit: found the below, not too much to go on though unfortunately.

https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/search?search=Digimon&t...

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder That rings a bell, thanks. I'll live with it for a couple days (stuff usually surfaces in my brain within 48 hours) and then go hunting if my curiosity gets the better of me!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Oh I kinda liked it too @Octane... my kids used to watch it on ITV over here when it first aired and I watched it with them... cus I was totally the cool mom outta all their friends

I've still got the original Digimon world for PS1 in fact that my son and daughter bought together, and a plushie up on top of a cupboard that my daughter used to have of the plant digmon... Palmon?

Thanks once again @RogerRoger and you too @JohnnyShoulder !

I might just go ahead and take the plunge, it's only ten pound after all! At worst that's like 3 cups of coffee...

... even if I hate coffee but you get the picture

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic