Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 2,111

Thrillho

@Tasuki Another huge vote for TW3, unless you're after a create-your-own-hero game.

I played Dragon's Dogma on PS3 (PS+ freebie) and it was great fun. The map is small but the ability to fast travel is very limited but you will retread a lot of ground so this isn't a bad thing. The pawn system is also quite unique; you essentially create an NPC ally who follows you around but you can also download one(?) from someone else's game to help you too.

The combat is fun and allows you to climb onto bigger enemies; grabbing onto the back of a flying enemy is quite cool. The story is okay and the voice acting pretty dodgy but it's quite a cult game.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Tasuki Having just finished Dragon Age: Origins on PS3, if you can stand going back and starting from the beginning then I'd say that the story and characters are well worth a look-see and still hold up today (although the combat is a little wonky). Perfect timing, as this is the first and only fantasy RPG I've ever played, so it's the only recommendation that I've currently got for you, but it's likely cheaper and if you like the lore, you've got two more games and tons of DLC to keep you busy going forward.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I will pick up Witcher III right now since it's on sale but I ended up picking up Kingdoms of Amaular on my Xbox One since it's backwards compatible there.

I have indeed played Dragon Age Inquisition a few years ago and enjoyed for what it's worth.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Kidfried

@Tasuki oh yeah, now I remember your posts on Dragon Age!

Also, Kingdom of Amalur is a good pick.

Kidfried

Jaz007

@Octane The point is that while many RPGs have a leveling system that works well, in the Witcher 3 it does little more than serve to unbalance the difficulty after a little bit and make fighting supposedly fearsome creatures that are suppose to be tough for Geralt feel underwhelming cooler in concept than in practice and actually hunting them. The game would be much better without it.

Jaz007

Kidfried

@Jaz007 Sorry, but I don't share your criticism at all. Witcher 3 felt way more balanced with regarding to level for me, than it had any right to be.

Maybe mileage may change based on playstyle or something, because for me leveling was a very meaningful thing in that game.

Kidfried

Jaz007

@Kidfried The upgrade tree was a good idea, but the rest of it didn’t do much for the game. In a avane like that the developers need to keep control over the difficulty rather than give it to numbers like they did. It’s really easy to overlevel in that game.

Jaz007

Tasuki

@Jaz007 @Kidfried I can understand both parts of the argument.

I actually like RPGs that have a level system like Borderlands, or the Assassin's Creed games now or even Diablo it gives me a sense of my character getting stronger as oppose to games like Breath of the Wild where there is no level system. That was one of my biggest problems with Breath of the Wild and why I didn't enjoy the game at all no sense of progression. I could literally start the game and go straight to Ganon and beat him. Where as something like say Assassin's Creed game each area you have to be a certain level to go to and can't just go straight to the end.

However the problem with level based game, which I have ran into particularly when I played WoW is if you are very thorough player and one of those that have to do every side quest in an area before moving to the next like I do, then you quickly can accidently becoming to powerful and out level stuff making epic fights and such feel less epic.

It's just like the old days of RPGs on the SNES when you got to a particular boss and couldn't get pass them what did most of us do, go and grind levels by just doing random encounters. I remember hearing somewhere, probably on the playground at school that in order to beat Kefka in Final Fantasy III (VI) on SNES you had to be level 99 so I did that and when I took him on he was too easy and I beat him no problem 😂.

Nowadays RPG developers add side quests and such so you don't have to spend hours grinding random battles over and over but as I said you can end up quickly over leveling. I did that with Assassin's Creed Origins in fact but again it's cause I am a completionist when it comes to RPGs so I can definitely see where @Jaz007 is coming from

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

JohnnyShoulder

@Tasuki Personally I think TW3 trounces over Dragon Age Inquisition in every department. I never completed DAI as I played TW3 after and that killed the former off for me. The side quests in DAI were so dull and most things felt like a chore to do. Like going back to base to update stuff, who thought that was a good idea? In contrast to TW3 where the side quests felt so organic to the main game and are better that some main quests in other games. It is a credit to the games that other series have tried to copy it (Assassin's Creed) yet still not better it imo.

I don't quite get the criticism of the levelling system, it felt perfectly fine for me. Sure there is a danger of being overpowered, just like in every other open world RPG with a similar system. But there are enough warnings in the game to help with this, and I much prefer it that way to the enemies levelling up with you.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

I finished TW3 before they introduced enemy level scaling which was quite a shock when I came back to the game for the DLC; packs of wolves I previously would have one-hitted now ruined me. It was definitely for the better though.

Also @Tasuki be sure to pick up all the free DLC for the game. Some of it was simply cosmetic (bonus haircuts, alt costumes etc) but some more cooler like added finishing moves, more Gwent cards. Even more impressively, entire new missions were added and some of these were among my favourites.

The paid DLC is also better than most games but playing the base game plus all that might take you through to 2020.

Thrillho

Octane

@Thrillho Playing Hearts of Stone during the main campaign is definitely recommended though. And I think that you'll have a harder time finding a vanilla copy of TW3, aren't most copies the GOTY edition at this point, even the digital ones?

Octane

Th3solution

@Tasuki I had completely forgot about Kingdoms of Amalur. That’s also a very good game. I quite enjoyed it. 8/10. Good choice.
I’m excited to hear how you like the legendary Witcher 3.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Elodin

@Tasuki I'm interested to hear what you think of Kingdoms of Amular. The story was great, being written by the talented writer R.A. Salvatore. The combat was so so, but the writing and world made up for it. I liked the idea of playing in a world during the time of great legendary stories, not a millennia later and hearing about them second hand. For example, the elves were around and doing well, not a society that disappeared or was a shadow of its past.
Witcher 3 is great too of course, but that is well known. For me, I'm looking forward to my next rpg Nier or Kingdomcome Deliverance whichever goes on a psn sale first.

Edited on by Elodin

Elodin

Octane

Driveclub + Driveclub VR or Gran Turismo Sport?

I'm thinking of picking up something that I can also play with my PSVR. Getting both versions of Driveclub is actually a little cheaper than GTS. All of them have mixed reviews it seems. I'm mainly looking for a game that has a bunch of offline content. So no always-online, because the internet can be a fickle over here; and I simply don't really care about playing against strangers online.

Octane

Tjuz

The Council and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice are currently €15 each in the store. Is that a good price? Worth it for someone who enjoys story-heavy games with, honestly, minimal combat challenge? Good ports? I can deal with clunky game mechanics as long as they don't interfere with the meat of the game.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz Not sure about The Council, but hellblade was a timed exclusive for ps4 so was defo made for consoles in mind, so it wasn't even ported over or anything.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@Tjuz I posted my impressions of The Council on another thread a few months ago. If you’re interested then it may be worth a read:
https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps4/what_ps4_games_are_you_...

Those were my thoughts after just playing the first episode. Subsequently I have played the second episode (I think there are 5 total episodes, each probably about 3-4 hours in length, give or take) and started the third. I pretty much stand by my initial thoughts there however. Approx. 6/10 type of quality, but that would probably elevate for you specifically if you are a fan of the genre - story driven, no combat, choice-and-consequence, etc. And if you like historical time period pieces, then you’ll like it even more. As I say in my other post on the link, the RPGish elements are quite well conceived and innovative for a story adventure game, but the mechanics of movement and navigating the world is a little, as you say, “clunky” for sure.
I eventually found a review online of all the episodes (it was surprisingly difficult to find as most outlets only reviewed episode 1, like Push Square did) and it seems the first and last episodes are stronger than the middle ones. Alas, the fact that now 3 months later I still haven’t finished the whole series may be telling. I fully intend to, but I got side tracked by other games.

As for Hellblade — you and I must be on the same wavelength because I bought it on sale a long time ago and it has sat in my backlog for a while and just this past weekend I downloaded it to my hard drive thinking that it’s about time I played it. I was deliberating on whether to finish The Council, starts Hellblade, or try something new. And almost as if I flipped a coin in my head and then ignored the result — I clicked on Transistor as an impulse play instead. But between Hellblade and The Council, I think the former is likely to be a more polished and solid title, having won GOTY honors in some outlets and being so critically acclaimed. I think for that price, both games are probably worth a go.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rj3445

Just looking for games that me and my gf could play on the same PS4 ( multi player ) that have campaigns kinda like borderlands 2.

Rj3445

RogerRoger

Tomorrow morning I'm heading to GAME to buy a new PlayStation4 headset, since my current one (Sony's official Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0) has started to flake around the ear cushions.

Can anybody make a recommendation between the Gold and Platinum variants of Sony's current official offerings? It has to be an official one (thank you, OCD) but I'm looking at both and for my own needs, it seems to be a flip of a coin. It's mostly for decent sound whilst playing big epic single-player campaigns. I don't talk to that many folks; in fact, I don't really talk to anybody, except my best friend in recent weeks whilst playing Dragon Age, and what I've currently got works okay for that.

Many thanks in advance!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I have the platinums and they are good no nonsense head set which work exactly the same as the 2.0 headphones (which were also my old pair). I notice the the sound quality was better with the platinums. One minus is that they don't seem to update as often with the different game preset as the 2.0s.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic