Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 2,111

RogerRoger

@andreoni79 No, that's correct. It's a full-price release.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@KratosMD Did you play Ys Origin? It's on sale on PSN, and I'm wondering what you think of it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Thanks! It'll be interesting to see what the older style of Ys gameplay is like.

I'll be playing entirely for the gameplay, honestly. Ys VIII had an OK plot, I guess (better than Trails in the Sky, anyway), but it was the addictive and well-structured gameplay loop that kept me coming back for 65+ hours. I imagine the same will be true here.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Oh yeah, I'm not expecting an epic like Ys VIII. It's a small game, after all. I just mean that I'm mainly interested in the gameplay.

Th3solution

Random question: Has anyone played the Persona 3 and 5 dancing games yet and if so, would you recommend them? How do they compare to P4 DAN? I imagine pretty similar. Is one of the three games the best? I know it’s probably highly dependent on which characters you prefer, I’d imagine, but I thought I’d ask nonetheless.
The reason I was wondering was 3 and 5 are on sale right now for 30% off this week on PSN and I was considering whether to nab one or both while on sale. Possibly for Vita since it’s cheaper and decent Vita games just are hardly released anymore, but if there is a significant reason to do the PS4 version then I’d entertain that thought as well. $40 seems a little steep for such a game, but a sale price of $28 seems fairly reasonable.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I seem recall @mookysam and @Jaz007 posting pictures of their copies of the Persona dancing games in the PS4 purchases thread last year. Forgive me if I'm mistaken (and apologies for pre-emptively tagging two other users) but you mention a limited time window to take advantage of this current sale. They might have some helpful thoughts...?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thank you, my friend. I will see if either of these Persona experts has an opinion. The sale does finish tomorrow, so I have a little time.
I just hate that feeling I have when I want to buy and play a game and I look and it’s full price and I could have had it at a discount earlier. Strangely enough, the obscure games of this ilk are more rare to go on sale it seems. So I feel the need to maybe grab sooner rather than later.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

@Th3solution I haven’t played P4: DAN, but I have played P5 and and it’s dancing game.
So it doesn’t have a story mode, but has a lot of conversations with the characters that are tons of fun. I love the P5 cast so I love how they’re used. The dance routines are perfect for each character the blitz mode where a second character comes and dances too are isnaweosme. The songs are really good and play quite well. If you liked the P5 soundtrack, you’ll love the song remixes.
I’d say it’s worth the $28 if it sounds good to you. It’s a perfect in-between game or if you don’t have that much time.
I think PS4 Vs Vita is preference as they only different feature I can think k was VR, but while I haven’t seen the characters rooms yet, what I have for VR initially isn’t worth scrolling through the menu and waiting 5 seconds for it to load.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 Much thanks, man. That’s what I was wondering. I’m think I’m feeling it, based on your description. I kinda want to play them in order. I might pick up P3 DIM on this sale, then play P4 DAN after that. Since I’ve played both the original Persona 3 and Persona 4 base games and know the characters, I think it will be fun. I haven’t finished Persona 5, so maybe I’ll wait on getting P5 DIS until later.

Jaz007

@Th3solution Finishing P5 first is a good idea. I would definitely wait until then.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Pzvejas With all due respect, an article entitled “Top new PS4 games coming out it 2019” wih the first game listed as Final Fantasy VII Remake .... well, it just makes me wonder if the person who posted it is living in some alternate universe or something. I hear no indication that FFVII has even the most remote possibility of coming out this year. And of Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, TLoU2, and Nioh 2 — I believe we’ll be lucky to have 2 of those 4 in 2019.
Seems like it should be titled “Most anticipated PS4 games” as probably half of those are 2020 games. But I could be wrong. Maybe someone knows something I don’t.
It’s a great list of upcoming games though!

Edit: I did go back and read that the author qualifies things in the text by admitting that many of these are anticipated in the “near future” and “2020 and beyond.” The title was just what threw me off. 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

Jaz007

@Th3solution No, if he’s listing those as 2019 he’s likely crazy or trying get some buzz even though what he’s saying it’s quite true.

Jaz007

Tasuki

Ok so hopefully someone can help me here. I am looking for a single player RPG something similar to World of Warcraft but without the MMO aspect. To clarify I am basically looking for something that has a pretty decent size world to explore. I enjoy taking a character from level one and building them up while exploring the world doing quests, side quests and such. Wouldn't mind a bit of crafting as well. To me it doesn't matter if it's high fantasy (stuff like Warcraft or LotR for example with different races and such) or more realistic fantasy (something like Game of Thrones for example) the main thing is I just want a huge world with a good amount of lore and quests to do and such. Also I don't want anything that's too difficult like Dark Souls where the difficulty is annoyingly hard just to be hard. Looking more for a fantasy theme more so then Sci-fi.

I hope that gives and idea what I am looking for.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Jaz007

@Tasuki Dragon’s Dogma ran me 40 hours doing most of the side-quests but ignoring the DLC it came with. It’s a game with good RPG combat and building your character up. It also is made with new-game Plus in mind even though I haven’t done that. It has a fantastic sense of adventure as you explore the world, a very impressive sense of adventure.
@Tasuki @Octane Yeah, the whicher is a great RPG, ur one of the worst things about is that it is an RPG with a leveling system. It would much better off without the leveling, so for tat reason I’d advise against as a reccomendation for what Tasuku is looking for.

Jaz007

Octane

@Jaz007 Well, he asked for a game in which you ''[take] a character from level one and building them up while exploring the world doing quests, side quests and such.''

Sounds like The Witcher 3 to me; Fantasy setting, big open world to explore, with a good amount of quality side quests and a ton of lore; a leveling system, it's not too difficult, and there's even a bit of crafting involved!

Besides, don't most RPGs have some sort of leveling system?

Octane

andreoni79

@Tasuki
Dragon's Dogma has fun combat and many kind of builds to try, but the map isn't that big.
Skyrim has a huge map, tons of lore and quests but combat is meh.
The Dishonored series is a must, imho, and now it's deadly cheap so you should try at least one of its three episodes.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Kidfried

Dragon Age Inquisition fits the bill brilliantly too though. Its combat system borrows some MMO elements, the party banter makes the game less lonely than a game like Skyrim/Witcher.

Getting into it was something of a hurdle for me. But once I was, I couldn't stop playing.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Tasuki I’ve never played WoW, but here’s my personal take —
I’ve played several that have been mentioned. Dragon’s Dogma, Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor (haven’t played Shadow of War), and Dishonored.
DD - great game. 8/10. Has most of what I think you’re looking for
Skyrim - also a great game. 8.5/10. I’m not sure how it would hold up now, but it was my obsession for a while when it released
Shadow of Mordor - solid game 7/10. Combat is really good and more Batman Arkham-like, but the setting is an open world but smaller and more like Ubisoft tower inspired world. Shadow of War is supposed to be much bigger and better, but I can’t speak from experience.
Dragon Age Inquisition - good game 7.5/10. This was the first one that came to mind with your description of what you want. The world is big and the number of quests is a little too much for me and so I never finished it, despite enjoying my time. Probably I put in about 40-50 hours and was maybe half way through I’d guess. Maybe I’ll resume it someday.
Dishonored - the game never stuck with me. I played so little of it I could hardly score it, but I think it must be good since it is so highly regarded. The first person perspective was part of what didn’t sit well with me. Again, maybe one day I’ll try it again.
Witcher 3 - from all accounts, it seems to be of the type of game you are looking for but it still sits in my backlog, never been booted up. It’s enormity is part of my hesitation to start it. I will play it one day. If you do decide to try it, I’d love to hear how you like it because a new perspective would be great to help me know how high to put it on my priority list.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic