Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,111

Octane

@Th3solution I believe you can get The Last Guardian for a tenner these days; definitely a steal at that price!

@Knuckles-Fajita The horse has its own AI, and you just have to point him in the direction you want to go in, he follows the road, won't jump off cliffs and avoids trees.

Shadow of the Colossus is a very different game. But it's not a tech demo. You can't force yourself to like it, and if you go in expecting a big open world filled with meaningless content and side quests, yeah, you're going to be disappointed I guess. If you have certain expectations of what a ''game'' needs to be, then yes, you're going to be disappointed as well. It's a very focused experience, the music, the visuals, the emotion, the little hints of story all play a role in this game. It's very subtle, but the simplicity of it all is what draws people in.

I was mesmerised with the game when I played the game back in 2006. Ueda's games have a certain style, and it's right up my alley.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

So to give context to SOTC, Im looking at this as what I paid for.

A PS4 remake of a PS2 game in 2018.

Visually Im sure it looks great in 4k. If I had a PS4 Pro I'd probably agree. Visually for what we are used to on PS4 this game looks decidely average.

Regarding my expectations I went in knowing what this game is. A lot of downtime to think, isolation and ambiguity.

Its just that the moments everyone talks about as epic set pieces are simply...I dont know.

I feel for a PS2 game, yes, this would have been really cool. But for a PS4 game I think it could have been more visually, or had more added to it. Somethjng about it feels unfinished.

Like this feels like a project someine made at uni, that looks real pretty, but only has the main bit of content in it. It feels like something is missing.

And Im afraid what I feel I am missing is not going to be filled in by headcanon.

Though we did make the horse a stubborn jerk who taunts the player.

It helps the game keeps bugging out regarding the horse. Once tried to call it and it ran in place while staring straight at me.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

kyleforrester87

@Knuckles-Fajita SOTC is a bit overrated in my opinion, despite the fact I enjoyed playing through it a few times. I have fond memories attached to my first place through which helps. But yeah it's best to play with no real expectations and see what you get out of it I suppose.

It does have cool moments, and overall it's a game everyone should play, but once you know how to bring down the collossus it's a bit silly, you can do them in a minute or two with the equivalent of a toothpick. So subsequent play throughs have sullied my view of it a bit. Maybe im wrong to say it's a bit overrated, and instead I should say it's a game you should just play once lol

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

mookysam

@KratosMD I got a 2TB Firecuda in the summer. Pleased with the purchase and it does load games slightly faster which is an added bonus. The hard drives reviewed quite well, so I don't think you can really go wrong.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah that was the same conclusion I came to when I did my research. SSD's sound good and all but for the price and storage you get, and that you will not get a huge improvement in a base PS4, are not worth it.

Seagate's are a good choice, it is what I upgraded to.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I've not really noticed, but it's not something I've been keeping an eye on. It did get rather full at one point until I got my external drive, and didn't notice any performance issues that I can recall of.

I think that it is more to do with Window computers, which need 15% to defrag the drive properly.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thrillho

Is the Spider-Man DLC any good? It’s on sale on the PS store and wondered if the extra tenner is worth it.

Thrillho

Elodin

Is Dark Souls 2 worth $10? I liked both Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, but would DS2 be a disappointment after playing those great games?

Elodin

JohnnyShoulder

@Elodin I played ds2 after those games and still enjoyed it. The only disappointment I recall is some of the bosses are really lame and easy, and some areas don't make sense how you get there. There are still some kick ass bosses though (The Mirror Knight for example) and it has some of my favourite areas from the series. It is also obviously older than those two titles, so temper your expectations accordingly, but the remaster fixes all the issues and looks good, if not amazing and plays really smoothly.

And yes well worth a tenner, I assume this is the edition with all the DLC so there is a bunch of content there and the DLC is brilliant.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Elodin

@JohnnyShoulder great to hear. Thank you for the response. I think I will pick it up.

Elodin

Tasuki

@KratosMD If you like Hyrule Warriors and like Dragon Quest then yeah I really recommend the game especially at that price. I felt that two was alot better then one in terms of things to do. There is even option stuff like these little creatures you can capture and such like Pokemon. I enjoyed my time with it and was even one of my top games for 2017. For that price it's well worth it IMO.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

mookysam

@KratosMD Dragon Quest Heroes (II in particular) is much more of an RPG than a straight musou. The battle system is obviously straight musou, so very quick and fun, but in terms of level structure it is different (no forts to capture etc) and there is much more focus on story. The characters have a lot of variety to them and each is fun to use.
I found the games a lot better than Hyrule Warriors and would easily recommend them!
The only downside with II is the difficulty. It seems made for co-op and the AI has a bit of trouble keeping up with late-game battles. I did complete it alone, so it shouldn't count against it, but maybe worth bearing in mind with tougher battles.

Black Lives Matter

mookysam

@KratosMD Don't remember if you can change the difficulty or not. I don't think you can, but I'm not certain of that so would need to check.

Overall it's not massively, massively difficult, but I did get a few game overs. Ther hardest bit was definitely the final boss, but there are also these "tower defence" style sections where you have to stop large numbers of enemies from advancing and destroying something or reaching an NPC ally. They can be trying. With those bits it's just a case of experimenting with monster medals and finding a strategy that works.

Black Lives Matter

Tasuki

So Far Cry 5 is on sale.for $20, the only Far Cry games that I enjoyed are Blood Dragon and Primal yet the cult plot has intrigut me with Far Cry 5. So is it worth getting for $20 or is this game a broken mess that should be avoided?

My Backlog

Alan_Breen

@Tasuki I would say Far Cry 5 is worth getting. I enjoyed playing it.

Alan_Breen

andreoni79

There must be an error on the PS Store since it says the Hitman HD Enhanced Collection is € 60. Is it correct?!?

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Thrillho

@Tasuki it's pretty superficial fun that plays pretty much like the other main Far Cry games. The story is pretty disappointing from the promise of the American cult setting too.

Weirdly, Blood Dragon and Primal are the only ones I haven't played.

Thrillho

Tasuki

@Thrillho Blood Dragon I really enjoyed but as a child of the 80s it struck that nostalgia chord. Primal I rented on a whim just because it sounded interesting the setting. As for Far Cry 3 and 4 I just couldn't get into them. Not sure what it was, the setting, characters or I just wasn't in the mood to play that sort of games at the time.

But as I said the whole cult thing has piqued my interest and I was thinking for $20 why not.

My Backlog

Thrillho

@Tasuki It only took me a few weeks to complete and I mostly had fun with it but it's no surprise that I don't remember seeing it on a Game of the Year list anywhere. I'd still say to give it a go if you're interested and can pick it up on the cheap.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

BAMozzy

I enjoyed Far Cry 5 overall and completed just about everything - just not all the Fishing challenges. The story is the weakest part and as it gets 'triggered' after you reach certain notoriety, you are forced to complete side quests etc to progress the story. You aren't limited to a region which has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages are that you can go anywhere, do things in what ever order you want etc but the downside is that the story is somewhat disjointed. Each region is controlled by 1 of 3 characters and when you get enough notoriety in their area will trigger a 'story' section. Once you have beaten each of the three areas, then you can go and face Joseph Seed. This structure and the fact that you can complete the areas in any order and don't have to do all of one before you move into the next has impacted on the narrative.

That being said, its still a lot of fun from a game-play perspective and some of the side quest are good too. It started off quite difficult but as you acquire more companions that will accompany you, it does get a bit easier. I enjoyed it but in a year we had games like RDR2, GoW, Spider-Man, AC: Odyssey etc and having a less than memorable story, it wasn't going to land on many peoples 'best of' lists - but the game-play is good...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic