Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 741 to 760 of 2,111

RogerRoger

@crippyd Don't forget Killzone: Shadow Fall, a PS4 launch title which still holds up today. It's a relatively short single player campaign but it's dirt-cheap nowadays, and the gameplay is excellent. I haven't tried the multiplayer but I understand there are still some folks who regularly fill the servers, too.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@crippyd The Last Guardian and The Last of Us of course!

Octane

andreoni79

@KratosMD I already finished it twice, but I'm sure I'm gonna do a third run sooner or later not for the trophies alone, but just because this game has that "classic" vibe that made me play the original four times on PSX and two on PS4. I'm sure you'll enjoy even the craziest of the "minigames" since they are still related to the main story.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Th3solution

@crippyd All the main recommendations have been given and I can agree with most of them. Only ones I can think to add that I quite enjoyed would be Until Dawn and The Order 1886. With him playing some large open world games like Spider-Man and Horizon, and then possibly picking up other fairly big games like Infamous, Bloodborne, Persona 5, and a bunch of Yakuza and Uncharted games, he might like a couple short and sweet experiences like these two to throw in some variety.
I don’t even like horror games generally speaking, but I like choice and consequence story driven games and so I was very pleased with Until Dawn. It’s a surprising gem.
The much maligned The Order 1886 has received a bad rap, mostly because of its very short run time (6-8 hrs) and linear, fairly basic gameplay. But it is well worth playing imo, especially if he likes cover based shooters. Just warn him that since the game sold poorly that we won’t see a sequel, so it leaves a bit of a disappointment in that regard. But you can find The Order preowned for $5 max, and probably even cheaper. Both games are 7-8/10 if I had to score them.
Has he ever owned any of the previous PlayStation consoles or has he just been a Nintendo or Xbox guy up to this point?

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

crippyd

@Th3solution Thanks for the recommendations, I'll pass them on. He has had PS, Nintendo and Xbox previously and currently has a One X and PS4 and just sold his Switch to get the PS4 as he didn't use it.

crippyd

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD If you liked the teaser demo, OMG you will love the full game. I had the start spoiled for me, a mag I was reading decided it was as good idea to describe in detail the first hour or so for a preview.

Really need to get back to that game, I think if I can past the boss fight I was stuck on I will be able to plow on through to the end.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@andreoni79 @kyleforrester87 @JohnnyShoulder if I don’t like horror very much is RE7 still worth a look?

@crippyd Oh, ok. Just wondering if he hasn’t played PS2 and PS3 games then the remasters will be great too.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

andreoni79

It depends on what you dislike of horror. RE7 surely is not as disturbing as Outlast 2, but it has its gore even if most of the enemy you face are just a mass of black slime.
Mutilations, check.
Jump scares, check.
Constant thrill, check.
But also great gameplay...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 I think @Th3solution is a big scaredy pants.

Resi Evil 7 is one the scariest games I've played. I think only Alien Isolation beats it's for pure balls sweating tension. So if you don't like horror games I would probably give it a wide berth.

EDIT: I suppose you could give the demo a go and see if you like it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD yup I'm with you. I generally hate the hide and seek style horror games. I like horror games where you start off weak and vulnerable and by the end you have a pretty strong arsenal, but the game is still able to throw surprises at you. Alien isolation is good in that regard. It's as good as Resi 7 I think. And Evil Within

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @KratosMD @andreoni79 I very much liked Until Dawn and Bloodborne. I don’t mind it in small doses if it’s not too over the top.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution The first person perspective adds a lot more immersion imo. I can't imagine playing it in VR however, I think that would be too much for me.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I don’t know. I keep reading about how brilliant RE7 is and how stoked everyone is for RE2 Remake and I wonder to myself, “what am I missing?” My small taste of RE and other horror games over the years has me with mixed feelings. I agree with @KratosMD that the type of horror game in which the gameplay and story are the focus and just happens to be set in a creepy environment, that type of game can be great. If the horror is just enough to build a little tension in which the gameplay can be maximally enjoyed (a la Bloodborne), then I’m all over that. If the game exists just to scare your pants off, then I’d rather not. Sounds like RE7 leans toward the super scary side. I’m sure RE2 will as well.
But yes, thanks for recommendations guys. I hate to miss out on one of the top games of this generation, but I might have to pass. I’ll try the demo one day if I’m in the mood.

Speaking of creepy and gameplay ...Another question — Shadow of War. How highly would someone recommend that? Black Friday sale for $10, so I’m giving it a look. I liked Shadow of Mordor reasonably well, but was ready to move on by the end. Probabaly about a 7 out of 10 for me. I hear SoW was better, but it fell out of the public consciousness fairly quickly and is rarely ever talked about.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Resi Evil 7 is more about the tension and creepy atmosphere than flat out jump scares (although it has those, just doesn't rely one em iirc). I was also surprised on how gory it was in places too. I just found it used horror very effectively, something which even recent movies fail to deliver.

I'm in the same camp with SoW, the first game was my first proper platinum but I was put of with all the talk of the end game grind and microtransactions for the sequel. I know a lot of that has been corrected, but I have a feeling that will go on my pile of games which are too long to even consider start playing.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@Th3solution I loved the first Dead Space game as that got the balance of story, action, and scares just right. The general sense of dread was spot on. Subsequent games went too much towards action for me.

I also haven’t played Shadow of War despite loving the first game. Like @JohnnyShoulder all the microtransaction stuff put me off (it’s now been removed) and the army building mechanic sounding tedious, even if it was something I enjoyed doing more naturally in th first game.

Thrillho

NecuVise

@Th3solution if you don't like games which make you grind for the true ending then don't buy shadow of war. I played it, it's good but to get to the true ending you have to grind a lot and I just didn't bother. It felt like a waste of time. They even streamlined it a lot in later patches but I stil didn't enjoy it. So take that into consideration.

NecuVise

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic