Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 721 to 740 of 819

Th3solution

@Tjuz @Thrillho I also quite liked Mass Effect 2 and 3. Some of PS3’s best. But ME1 was a Microsoft exclusive until the trilogy was released together. ME2 on PS3 started with one of those “the story so far...” intros where you make the handful of major choices (which character to save, etc) and these carry over so that ME2 is in line with those choices. So yeah, I never played ME1 either. And at this point it’s just too much of an investment to go back and start over for me. If I ever win the lotto and quit my job then it will maybe make it into the rotation.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Tjuz

@RogerRoger I'll be sure to reply later, bur I just want to quickly offer you a code for the Dishonored Definitive Edition on PS4. I got this with the Dishonored 2 Limited Edition on launch day, and have had this lying around for ages now. It says it's long expired, but I just tried redeeming it and it seems like it still works? I'm not sure if the code is region specific, but I figured it was worth a try if you're interested. It'd save you some money! Not sure if I can private message on this forum though, so I don't know how I'd get the code to you without bots possibly picking it up and redeeming it before you get the chance to.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Wow, that's an incredibly kind thought, thank you!

As we've already mentioned in this topic, though, I'm a very particular and deliberate creature of habit, and have a specific process when it comes to games. This is absolutely no reflection on your good self or your generosity, but I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting such a code.

Genuinely sorry to have to say that (I do hate my brain sometimes) and really am very grateful for the gesture. Hope you can find another use for the code.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

Tjuz

@RogerRoger No worries. As long as it isn't because you're too proud for it!

Anyone else interested in a code for Dishonored: Definitive Edition? I can't guarantee it works, but it's worth a shot if it's something you're interested in.

Tjuz

Octane

Does anyone know if RIGS is worth buying for the single player campaign alone? How much content is there? Just an hour or so, or a little more than that?

Octane

Kidfried

@Tjuz Wow, that's mighty kind. I've played Dishonored (and the definitive edition) and finished it multiple times, so I don't need a code. Just wanted to say it's still a great game to play today, super unique.

Edited on by Kidfried

Wind's howling.

Thrillho

@Th3solution @Tjuz Yeah, I jumped in with ME2 on PS3 so just had the comic book prologue to get me up to speed. I never felt it made a massive difference to my experience but the game certainly made a big deal over characters I'd never met.

For instance.. I chose to save the Racnhi queen in the prologue. In ME3 she returns but it didn't mean anything to me really.

And don't worry @Tjuz of course I chose to have Wrex survive and appear in ME2!

EDIT: I also got the collector's edition (or whatever it was called) so got From Ashes with the game so I got to play with Javik. I used him a lot on my second run-through. I especially liked him dismissing just about everything Liara "knew" about the prometheans

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

mookysam

@RogerRoger It does seem that a lot of people prefer Ashley. Kaidan was nicer and I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice him[/spoiler]. In the third game my Shepard romanced Cortez, who seemed sweet; but given the history with Kaidan and everything they'd gone through I felt Alenko would have been a better match. I also chose to be a Ravager (awesome class), which fit in nicely with Kaidan's side story [spoiler]relating to his implants was interesting given my Shepard's biotic abilities.

Also, I must get round to playing Rime!

mookysam

RogerRoger

@mookysam I had a kneejerk reaction against Steve Cortez which was wrong of me, because I'd been told that ME3 finally added male romances for male players but then saw an out-of-context clip of Steve dancing in a nightclub on the Citadel and giving Shepard a strong, slightly creepy come-on and so I immediately recoiled in fear of a stereotype being dropped in at the last minute. When I finally played the game, I was focused on romancing Kaidan and kinda ignored Steve, so was taken aback at how sweet and well-written his backstory and character turned out (and I love the friendship he has with James Vega, too). I genuinely felt awful about pre-judging him, which says something about how strongly I connected with the world created by the game.

But you're right, the near-perfect backstory arc between Shepard and Kaidan across the entire trilogy (regardless of Shepard's class, but awesome that you were able to make that connection) makes a lot more sense and adds weight to the romance scenes right before the big finale, from which I didn't come back alive, because I chose Synthesis.

If you're gonna play RiME, be braced for emotions!

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

mookysam

@RogerRoger Yeah, I was also concerned that Cortez would lean on stereotypes. That he didn't was a mark of the great writing in the games. I don't think it's bad to be concerned that he would be a stereotype, as so many gay characters in media still are poorly written - especially when romance is involved.

I'll certainly put Rime on my big list of games I'm interested in! Is it particularly gut wrenching?

mookysam

Kidfried

@mookysam Personally I thought it was more a reflective game than an intensely emotionally engagement. It has some very sweet moments, that will no doubt touch you, but in a positive way.

But the game touches upon a few themes that might be more impactful from person to person.

Wind's howling.

Tjuz

@RogerRoger The second the piano started playing in the Liara clip I recognised it! i definitely saw that scene, I had just forgotten. Too bad, since it's really cute like you said. I can see how you would get teary-eyed if not outright bawl at that scene once you're getting close to the end. Hell, I might have and simply forgotten that as well! Í'm surprised by your romance choices. Those are characters I've never really considered seriously romancing. I only started romancing Kaidan on my third playthrough since it's the only one I hadn't seen yet, but was planning to move to Garrus for ME2 and probably ME3 as well. Any specific reason you were so adamant on romancing Kaidan instead of exploring different options? I frequently heard Jacob is one of the worst romances in the trilogy, and he definitely was a total creep whenever he'd be talking to my FemShep. Hopefully he wasn't as awful as advertised!

I think they really shouldn't have included paragon/renegade points for the decision to save or sacrifice the Council. Both sides have really strong arguments for either ''moral''. I actually do believe I did save the council on my first run through. My justification was along the lines of a fear of galactic unrest if the Council ended up dead. I figured it'd be turn out to be a completely hellish experience to have all the races fighting over a spot in the new Council, with risks of ''negotiations'' starting to become violent. Once I got on that train of thought I felt saving the council was the better choice. On the other side, sacrificing all those lives just for a few politicians does seem like a complete renegade action without thinking of possible consequences. It's really one of those choices they shouldn't have allotted either points to. I do believe I also opted to preserve the Collector Base for study, but I can see how that could end up being ''the bad choice'' since it'd be in possession of Cerberus, and they're historically not very fond of sharing.

I think what you proposed regarding a division between the ''subjective'' and ''objective'' review score is a good solution. It's probably the best way anyone can go about it, even if it becomes slightly convoluted. It will require even more of a thorough readthrough of reviews, though, and unfortunately that not something that's all that prevalent within gaming culture. Most people like to simply skip to the end for the score and believe that any score below 8 is terrible, which is a terrible way to ''take reviews into account'', but what can you do?

Ah, I got the numbering wrong for the Tomb Raider games! I can't fault myself for that one considering how many of them there are. I'm glad to hear it got soft-rebooted and it isn't all an ongoing storyline. I don't know if I could ever get myself to start on a nine-game long journey! If I end up liking Legend/Anniversary/Underworld I'll be sure to go further back and see if I can appreciate those as much. I'm certainly not opposed to PSone gaming! That said, to go off on a slight tangent, do you know if there's a specific reason why people call PSone as such instead of PS1? The latter seems like the more logical choice. Is that a marketing term Sony ushered in themselves or is that just kind of the way it is? It's always interested me.

No need to apologise for how you play Hitman 2! That's how I played Blood Money, and intend to play any future Hitman game I pick up, as well. I can't imagine playing Hitman any other way, although missions do have a tendency to somewhat go off the rails at some point. At that point it's just about recovering and avoiding civilian casualties, but I can't say that's something I've always managed! I mean, no Silent Assassin is good too, right?

I actually ended up buying Arkham Origins earlier today upon your suggestion. I saw it was included in the recent Humble Bundle in the $1 tier, so at that point it's a steal! It's all downloaded, installed and ready to go. Just gotta find the right time to boot it up, since i also started a playthrough of the original Borderlands with a friend on PC yesterday and he's quite the active fellow! Clearly my one game per system.. system is already broken. That didn't last very long! I'll be sure to try and follow up on those OCD tips with this one in particular, but I must admit that anything that includes proper districts and progressively unlocking side quests can be extremely tempting like you say. It'll be a hard one! I hope I enjoy the main story as much as you did and that helps me stay on track.

Regarding the amount of time it will take to play Kingdom Hearts, I agree. I only recently find out how ridiculously long it is to play all the games. I believe HowLongToBeat pegs it at around 180 hours total. Add the completionist mentality, and you've got yourself a hell of a mountain to climb. I can barely even get myself to finish 10 hour games! That said, I should've expected it considering it's a JRPG. Obviously they're all notoriously long. I figure maybe something among the likes of Yakuza 0 would be a better entry point into that specific area of gaming. We all gotta face it, we'll never get to play everything we want to play.

Tjuz

Tjuz

@Th3solution @Thrillho Ah. Mass Effect being an Xbox exclusive for a while is a great point. I hadn't thought of that considering I personally played the trilogy on PC. Such a shame that both of you missed out on the first one, though! I think that it might be the best self-contained story of the three. Some incredibly memorable moments in there. I do recommend both of you give it a shot at some point in the future if you can, though! Definitely not an experience you should miss if you enjoyed the second and third games, even after having played those. You can also simply play the first one without soldiering on, altough, admittedly, that might be tough to do once you get into it again!

@Thrillho Ah. Saving the rachni queen is definitely a huge plot point in the first game. They were creatures who were once very violent and almost brought the galaxy to extinction. Luckily the Krogan were there to bring them to their knees, but they had to be brought into the fold by the Turians/Salarians/Asari since they hadn't yet made contact on their own yet. This is also what the prerequisite was to the Sarlarians creating the Genophage. Once they noticed how strong and aggressive the Krogan were to the point where they were significantly able to weaken the Rachni on their own, the Genophage was created to stop them from reproducing and to keep them in check, but I digress. The Rachni were subsequently brought to extinction, yet the antagonists from ME1 managed to hatch Rachni eggs in the hope of recreating their once powerful army to do their dirty work along with the Geth. This is where the Rachni queen came in, since these creatures rely on a ''queen'' to control them. You had a choice between killing the Rachni queen to avoid a potential disaster, or to let her escape with the promise that she would not use her ''children'' for warring and that she would bring peace to the Rachni. If you let her escape, that's when she shows up again in ME3 to aid you. I'm not sure if you already knew all this, but I always enjoy recalling Mass Effect lore! All that said, the return of the Rachni queen was definitely not as epic as I had hoped it would be. It was very underwhelming, especially since she didn't really serve any purpose.

I'm also glad you saved Wrex! I was worried since I believe the default option when you create a fresh game in ME2 is him having died. I can't imagine playing the trilogy without him!

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@mookysam RiME is one long emotional crescendo. Since it's totally lacking dialogue, it builds an awareness of the story through experience and action and so, if you can steer clear of spoilers, you'll have played for a good chunk of it before you reach the "Ah, NOW I get it!" penny-dropping moment.

Or, if you're like me, you'll be walking the character across a small bridge in a relatively quiet bit of gameplay, drop your controller and whisper "Oh God, no."

And then not stop crying until the credits.

Although as @Kidfried mentions, I can imagine that such a reaction depends a lot on the player, sure. In fact I genuinely hope that it doesn't hit you as hard as it hit me.

RogerRoger

@Tjuz Glad you did see the scene after all. It's a beautiful moment, one I think about a lot.

As @mookysam mentioned, there really aren't that many well-written gay characters in media; things are improving but it's slow progress, and years ago when I first played ME1 (which was the first game I ever played with gay romance options; heck, it was nearly the first game I ever played with romance options, period, since I don't usually play RPGs... I'd played Alpha Protocol but never triggered any of the romances) I wasn't surprised when I discovered that a male Shepard could only romance women, but FemShep could romance both males and a female (Liara). Since gaming is seen mostly as a teenage male pursuit, that's been the standard for a long time. I was additionally disappointed when I discovered that the original intent for ME1 was to make Kaidan bisexual, but that BioWare chickened out at the last minute. Then in ME2, there were all sorts of romances planned but the controversial backlash against ME1's romances in American media made them cut all except the straight ones.

I was disappointed because this was an RPG, where players are supposed to be able to shape the story with their own personality and morality, but I was also perfectly prepared not to romance anybody throughout the entire trilogy (and I'd have still loved the experience; I adore every member of the Normandy crew, they're all awesome on a "cool best buddy" level) or try a straight romance and step back from integrating myself too much, treat it more like watching a movie. Then my best friend, who'd recommended I play the trilogy because of my love for Star Trek and Star Wars, told me that Kaidan turns out to be bisexual in ME3 and so I decided to wait and see how it panned out, and whether BioWare managed to make it retroactively make sense across the entire trilogy (which they did, really well actually... so well that when it came to playing as Jason in my "personal" playthrough, I couldn't bring myself to do anything different).

Jacob is okay. I get why people aren't a big fan of him, he's pretty jock-headed at times, but I grew up in a military family and have a career history in emergency response, so understood some of where he was coming from, even if he didn't articulate it in the best of ways (similar to Liam Costa in Andromeda). His romance wasn't anything to write home about; he's a stereotypical bloke in many ways, but I thought it worked out alright in the end. He suited Kathryn, my FemShep, because she's quite sassy and renegade anyway. She often flirted at him before he had a chance to speak!

I'm impressed that you were able to weigh the socio-political ramifications of saving or sacrificing the Council so quickly! In the heat of battle, I just went "it's a numbers game; I'm here to save innocent lives" and made a command decision. But you're right, on reflection, I can see both sides. That's actually the beauty of a lot of the 50/50 decisions in Mass Effect; you can make a good case for almost all of them, there's never really a clear and obvious "this is heroic, this is evil" moment. I got myself caught quite a bit because some of the decision-making was so excellent and made me feel personally integrated in the world and story, with real power and agency, and others I'd just sit there at the screen saying "I'd do neither, and can totally see a third option which is better." Andromeda is a bigger culprit for that, though. Some of the major decision-based plot points in that were utter nonsense (still love the game, though).

The PSone was the mini version of the original PlayStation released towards the end of its generation in the dawning light of the PS2. Since the original PlayStation never had a number on it, and only really became known as the PS1 because of the PS2 (kinda like World War One was known as the Great War until World War Two) my OCD won't really allow me to type "PS1" because there's no such thing, and the abbreviation "PS" has other meaning. But I'm probably over-thinking it and being really pedantic. I do that a lot.

If a mission in Hitman goes to pieces (as you say, happens a lot) I restart and try again. I hate the idea of having civilian casualties listed in my end-of-level score breakdown, makes me feel genuinely awful (again, another example of me over-thinking things, it's a game for goodness sake). It makes them quite odd games to play, because I tend not to usually enjoy things that require constant restarts to get perfect, yet I love modern Sonic and Hitman games, so I guess they're my exceptions to the rule. But no, I'll totally raise an alarm to make a hit if I think I can get 47 to safety regardless, and have no trouble non-lethally inconveniencing a few NPCs along the way to my targets. Silent Assassin is a nice rating to get, but I'll often settle for one or two lower!

Hope you enjoy Arkham Origins when you do eventually get to playing; would obviously be very interested to hear your thoughts, opinions, etc. if you're happy to type them up. Apologies for not answering every point, but when I ranted on for so long about ME romances I thought I'd better cut things back a bit; besides, I agree with so much of what you've said anyway, so I could just point folks to your post and nod.

mookysam

@RogerRoger Certain things can make me emotional, so I'll see how it goes. At the moment I feel like even a small thing might make me sob. I've played games where after completing them I've felt sad but almost hollow, because they've had such a stunning emotional impact.

mookysam

mookysam

@RogerRoger Just saw your post above (it must have popped up when I was typing my other reply). I was perplexed that there weren't male same-sex romance options in the first two Mass Effect games. Bioware's explanation irked me. I'm not one who is typically hyper-sensitive, but it didn't make sense that in an RPG where you can be your own Shepard and where there are also female same-sex romances that they then basically said, no Shepard isn't and can't be gay. They had to be concerned with backlash from certain sectors. :-/ I really liked that in Fable 2 (the first one in the series I played) that there were same-sex romances and it wasn't a big deal.

mookysam

RogerRoger

@mookysam I know exactly what you mean; great way to describe those post-game emotions. RiME was quite unique, but I often find such an impact tied to games that I never want to end, which was certainly the case for ME3. I was sad for the story, I was sad for the characters, but I was equally sad that it was over and the world I'd been playing in was all gone. I sat for about half an hour afterwards, in silence, just thinking and feeling. Incredible impact, even if it isn't exactly what I'd call "uplifting fun".

And yeah, in terms of backlash and social awareness, Mass Effect as a franchise just started a couple years too early. Change is often gradual with the occasional leap and I guess ME1 and ME2 just fell on the wrong side of one such leap; coupled with the American media deciding that they hadn't been angry about something in far too long and randomly picking it out of a hat, I certainly understand BioWare's position and, if I had been one of their executives at the time, am not sure I'd have done anything differently. You've gotta pick your battles, and waiting for ME3 obviously worked for them.

If there is a remastered trilogy, I wouldn't be against them re-activating the dormant code and recorded dialogue to make Kaidan and Ashley same-sex romance options in ME1. There'd be a degree of outrage about "SJW historical revisionism" but those who know the development story would appreciate it, I think.

KratosMD

I think you guys need to stop with all this talk about Mass Effect. You're burying posts like this:

Octane wrote:

Does anyone know if RIGS is worth buying for the single player campaign alone? How much content is there? Just an hour or so, or a little more than that?

I'd normally not contest against discussions but you've been talking about ME for a week now and it is taking up a lot of space here. Just create a new thread for it already, otherwise people will be discouraged from writing here.

Edited on by KratosMD

Best games as voted by the PushSquare community:
PS1: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider II

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic