Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 481 to 487 of 487

Octane

@Th3solution That used to be true in the past, when each console was a completely new machine and the developers had to put serious time and effort into understanding how to get the most out of it. I think it's less true these days, now consoles are essentially PCs in a box. The architecture is familiar, and sure, we'll see some improvements, but I don't think the difference is night and day as it was the case on older consoles. I feel that we've already had plenty of (good looking) quality titles ever since day one, meaning that they can still compete with newer titles.

Octane

Baitsausage

@Th3solution I've got to agree there, I try to keep up with games as they release, largely because I budget for my games a month or so in advance, but even then I'm not buying games that are blowing me away anyway near as much as The Witcher has done. I played the first two titles on the PC as they released and to see how far that franchise came with The Witcher 3 makes me really excited to see what CD Projekt Red will come up with next! If it's this Cyberpunk title, I think I'm gonna be made up!
And always happy to recommend a game! I never get to talk about this stuff in my day to day, so it's nice to have a place like this where we can all just chat about what we're playing!

Baitsausage

KratosMD

So Yooka-Laylee, Everybody's Golf and Until Dawn are all €20 each right now. I'm not in a hurry to pick any of these up, but I was just wondering if one of these games stands out for that price and if I should buy it now?

'To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly'
'They fail to live because they are always preparing to live' - Alan Watts

Th3solution

@KratosMD The only one of these I have experience with is Until Dawn, which I only played because it was free on PS plus a while back and I just suddenly got in the mood for a story driven game. I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I think I gave it a 8/10. Despite the premise sounding mundane (a horror/thriller with teenagers spending the night in a cabin...) I actually found the story to be pretty good. Most of the characters were okay and the voice acting was good. Gameplay is kind of watered down (QTEs, exploration, plot choices) but how you play the game and decisions you make do affect the outcome and conclusions, to an extent. Seems like the experience was about 8-10 hours and I don’t really plan to play it again, although there is incentive to do so to get some alternate endings, depending on who survives your playthrough. Is it worth €20? That’s a good question. I’d say yes, but barely. If it were €15 I’d say definitely buy it. But at this price point, it depends on your budget. I don’t know, the other two games on your list might be better options, I haven’t played either. I’m kind of interested in Everybody’s Golf, but afraid I might get bored quickly of it.

Edited on by Th3solution

If the other guy is getting better, then you'd better be getting better faster than he's getting better, or you're getting worse.

KratosMD

@Th3solution Yeah my thoughts about Everybody's Golf are the same. This would be a great game to play had I been younger with a higher attention span. But at this age I just need variety and I think I won't find that in a golf game.

I've been interested in Until Dawn for a long time now but it never seems to go below €20. And it doesn't really seem worth it for that price in all honesty, especially considering that I've already watched a full playthrough of it back in 2015. So I think I'll just wait for it to become €10-15 before I buy it.

So thanks for your input! Honestly, I've been eyeing Yooka-Laylee all day now but I've been indecisive on getting it because of these two other games. I think I'll be getting it now since my mind is more cleared up.

Th3solution

@KratosMD That sounds like a good plan. Yooka reviewed well. Too bad you don’t have PS plus then huh? Or at least didn’t have it about a year ago when they gave away Until Dawn.

If the other guy is getting better, then you'd better be getting better faster than he's getting better, or you're getting worse.

KratosMD

@Th3solution Yeah, I never play online anymore so I'm never subscribed to PS+. I was aware of the game being free for PS+ members at the time, though. Probably should've just picked it up alongside one month of PS+ for €7 and then just play it once and move on, lol.

I might end up becoming more enticed about buying it in the future though, now that I'm about to check out Hidden Agenda which is made by the same developers.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic