Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 2,111

Octane

MGSV is on sale, is there any reason why I shouldn't pick The Definitive Version over The Phantom Pain?

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane Yes, Ground Zeroes is pretty integral to the story of The Phantom Pain. Personally I would only play TPP after having played GZ if I were you. GZ is pretty short though. The other stuff in the Definitive Edition I’m not so sure about since I didn’t play any of the DLC and didn’t spend much time with Metal Gear Online. But yeah, I think I would also recommend getting the Definitive Ed. if you have the cash and didn’t pick up both games when they were free on PS Plus.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution The Definitive Edition is the same price as The Phantom Pain.

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane Interesting. That’s a pretty good deal then. GZ and TPP should have all been one game to begin with, actually. Let us know if you play them because I’m always curious how people receive them because the games a little divisive, but I count them (esp TPP) as among my very favorite this gen, and really, of all time actually.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Th3solution I'll go in blind, without having played a MGS game before, so it'll be interesting either way. I want to finish SOTC and MHW first, but I'm still looking for something to play after those games, especially since I expect to finish SOTC by next week, and GOW is still two months away. MGSV could fill that gap I think. And I'll make sure to most my impressions here!

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Octane MGS5 is fun n all but I'd say it's not a "MGS" game in the same way people say BOTW isn't a Zelda game. I appreciate you've not got access to systems to play the earlier games, hope you get the chance to play 1>4 at some point though.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@Octane Oh! Well that’s a different twist to it if this will be your first MGS game. Now I’ll really be curious what your think. Part of me thinks you may like it more since you don’t have any preconceived notion and it is different from other installments, like @kyleforrester87 said. But part of me thinks you’ll be pretty lost as far as story and lore go. But to be honest Metal Gear games have some of the most convoluted stories in all of gaming, and they’re hard to follow even for fans who play them all, mainly because they weren’t released in any chronological order and the story has been told in such small segments over 8+ sprawling games. That being said, MGS5 gives you enough context that it is enjoyable in its own right.

I just finished SotC just now. Absolutely brilliant. Also one of my favorites of all time. I just wish some of the control mechanics were a little bit more precise and then it would be near perfect. It took me right at 10 hours, and that was with me taking my time, doing quite a bit of exploring.

Octane

@kyleforrester87 I have to start somewhere I figured. I've also heard Twin Snakes isn't the best remake. I can find ways to play the first game for sure, but is it worth it? I mean, would it make a huge difference? I assume V is perfectly playable on its own. I can always play the other games later.

Yeah, I don't want to hurry SOTC, I've limited myself to 1 colossus per day. I've done the first eight in about three-and-a-half hours. If you don't have to search for the colossi, it's a pretty short game. But I'm spending most of my time looking for lizards and fruit.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Octane nah it won't make a difference exactly, it's just MGS5 is different enough that you'll not be getting that classic MGS experience.

kyleforrester87

Octane

Hah, that's the thing. One says it's no problem, another one tells me I have to play the other games first. Meanwhile I'm sat here pondering about what to do and I'll never play them at this rate. I should just go for it I guess, with the knowledge that it doesn't play like the other MGS games. And if the story is confusing either way, I guess it doesn't really matter in what order I'll play them.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Octane IMO just go for it, as I say bear in mind that it's not really MGS in the way 1-4 is but story wise I can't really see it being a problem. You might miss out on some stuff but to be honest the story is obtuse as hell anyway. As for 1-4 it's best to play in order really.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Octane

@KratosMD I think I'll will play the other games eventually. But setting up an emulator or finding an old PS1 console is more of a hassle than just buying MGSV and playing it now. And I'm looking for something to play, and it's either MGSV (thanks to quite a lot of recommendations) or the Tomb Raider games. And hey, having playing MGSV is at least better than not having played any of them I guess!

Octane

kyleforrester87

I don't really need to play or watch things in order, aside from like serialised TV shows. But I'm pretty happy playing games out of order and watching films out of order. They are generally designed to be enjoyable as individual products and yeah you might miss out on some inside details but you'll usually pick up on those when you play/watch the previous installments. MGS is so all over the place anyway you need to play the games several times to try to make sense of everything.

kyleforrester87

Wesker

I still think MGS4 is the best in the series and I gave up on all the other ones. As Kyle says, they are designed to be enjoyable as individual products!

Wesker

Th3solution

@Octane If you’re in the mood for excellent stealth and infiltration, some 3rd person shooting with a decent variety of weapons and explosives, and some base building and creating your own personal army - then play MGS5. If you’re more in the mood for platforming/climbing, exploring and treasure hunting, some light puzzles, and 3rd person shooting with a more limited arsenal but also a bow and arrow - then that’s TR. Honestly you can’t go wrong with either one. Both series are among my favorites. TR has the advantage that the early games from PS1 and 2 era are not really that integral as far as plot since the new ones are prequels when Lara is younger. It is cool to see the difference between the young, naive, and inexperienced Lara vs. the older, seasoned, and unemotional Lara from the older games.

Rudy_Manchego

I played MGSV without having played a MGSV game since PS2 era and was fine. Gameplay was ace, story not great anyway.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

I played TPP having played the previous games and was still left baffled by the story. So just go for it. Personally it didn't click with me and the the first MGS on ps1 is probs my fave game ever. I was playing it when I playing Bow though so maybe it was just at the wrong time for me.
Finished SotC too, brilliant game but I now feel similar when I finished Bow like there is a big hole in hole in my life. 😞

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic