Forums

Topic: PS4 recommendation thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 2,111

Kidfried

I played Watch Dogs 2 for a few hours since I bought it this weekend and I have to say... it is G.O.O.D. This game is all about fun and it delivers. It is everything Watch Dogs should be, really. Can recommend it to everyone who was, like me, tricked into buying Watch_Dogs 1.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried so is playing WD1 a prerequisite to understanding what’s going on in WS2? I never played the first.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Nope. There are a few random references you might not pick up on, but that's about it. It's a new city with new characters and a new story. The only background information you need is that CTos is an operating system for smart cities, made by the Blume corporation. And that DeadSec is a hacker organization that is concerned about these developments.

There was definitely some confusion going on at the start of the game for me. Not everything is explained properly or at the moment you need it, but that's more a lack in game design than a prerequisite you didn't pick up on.

Story wise this second Watch Dogs is not really interesting anyway. It felt a bit like Far Cry 3/4, in which the focus is on open world fun instead of story.

Kidfried

Octane

Has anyone played ADR1FT? It's on sale right now, but reviews aren't very positive...

Octane

SuperJoon

Just got Mantis Burn Racing. On offer at the moment for £4.99, well worth a punt. Lovely little game

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

PSN: superjoon84 | Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

The Sexy Brutale!
Took me 7+ hours to beat, 9 to platinum. Great game I picked up in the recent sale (ends tomorrow £6.50).
I'm not very good at puzzlers, but this one really got the balance right. Think the most I spend on trying to save someone was an hour.
There's a lot to like here. Great death scenes, unique characters, a captivating story & an awesome soundtrack! Actually played the entire game with headphones on- it's that good!
Definitely recommended.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

YeYa

I have Until dawn and Amnesia in my PS Plus backlog. I am not a huge fan of horror titles so I have a couple of questions if any of you played either one. Are they worth playing? Did you like them?

PSN: YeYa_3

Tasuki

@YeYa Until Dawn was great IMO. It was alot better then I thought it was going to be, though it helps if you like 80's slasher movies like I do.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Ralizah

@YeYa Until Dawn could have been fun, but later plot developments... ruin it. It's pretty but mediocre. I was thoroughly disappointed. And that's putting aside the fact that it's essentially an interactive movie, so there is precious little "game" to be had with this one.

Amnesia, on the other hand, is a modern classic of horror gaming. It has its rough edges, of course, but I think it's still worth experiencing.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

I really enjoyed Until Dawn and found it genuinely scary and creepy, which surprised me as I didn't think it would be for me. It plays a like Telltale game minus the flaky engine, so temper your expectations accordingly. I too wasn't too fussed on the last third also, but didn't ruin the overall experience for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@KratosMD I mean, it's not a fantastic deal, but unless you play a copy on the Nintendo DS, it's the only way to get the game. And VLR is absolutely a better experience if you play 999 first (VLR also thoroughly spoils 999). I'd say you should go for it. It's one of the most intelligently-written and interesting series I've ever encountered.

And yeah, that seems like a good price for S;G0. Have you played the original?

Th3solution

@KratosMD @Ralizah
Pardon me for barging in, but I had a similar dilemma when I decided to buy the Nonary Games last year, since I already had VLR as well. I think I ended up buying the Nonary games pack for $30 on Vita.
First of all, like most visual novel type of games they are great on the Vita. I’m not sure how it would translate over to the big screen. It’s a personal preference, but I think I would prefer these games on the Vita.
Secondly, I will echo that 999 really is quite essential to play, in my opinion, if you’re going to play VLR. The second game can stand on its own, sure, but major story elements are contained in 999 that I feel like are essential to really getting the most of it. I actually kind of preferred 999 overall as an experience despite it being shorter and a little bit simpler in its story flowchart, concepts, and puzzles. I really liked the story and setting of 999. But both are excellent if you like the genre.
So basically you’re buying 999 for €20, and then you’ll have the option to play VLR on the PS4 or on your Vita copy you already have. I think it’s worth it, personally. I’ve paid a lot more for games I enjoyed a lot less. Now it’s always easy to spend someone else’s money, but these two were among my favorites played last year. I just wish it was cross-buy for you, then it would be an easier recommendation.
And on the other subject, I haven’t played any of the Science Adventure games. Steins;Gate is one I want to eventually play, but I heard 0 wasn’t nearly as good. Actually, if anyone knows the best order to play the Science adventure stuff, I’d be interested to know. With the Chaos;... games and Steins;... games it looks rather daunting to a newbie.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution I envy you playing the 999 remaster first. The original NDS version is excellent, but a bit frustrating, because there's no flow-chart (that element was introduced in VLR), so you have to constantly replay the game over and over to get the different endings (you can FF past previously read text, but it's still tedious).

But yeah, while VLR is comprehensible without 999, it's a much stronger story in the proper context, and 999 is an excellent story in its own right.

I'd also prefer the Nonary Games on a portable, but I prefer pretty much everything on portable systems.

The Chaos series and Steins;Gate series aren't terribly interconnected, so don't worry about how those two series relate. You can play either first. Chaos;Head was never officially translated, but if you're willing to play an English-patched version on your PC, I'd start there for the Chaos series. With S;G, you play the original and then move on to 0.

Robotics;Notes is also kind of its own thing, but I don't know if it even has a fan translation. There's a pretty decent anime adaptation, though. S;G also has a famously excellent anime adaptation. Avoid the Chaos;Head anime at all cost, though.

belmont

So I 'd like to ask for recommendations. I just beat Night in the Woods and although the ending was a bit lame I loved this game, the setting, the plot, the characters, the more "adult plot" themes. I was surprised on how much I liked this game.

Any particular recommendation for a similar somewhat short story driven game with a focus on nore serious themes with good setting and characters for ps4 or vita? From the top of my head Firewatch and Oxenfree come to mind but have I missed something

belmont

JohnnyShoulder

@belmont Before I read that last sentence I was thinking of those two games.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@belmont Haven’t played NitW, but short adult story game with a smidge of puzzles — What Remains of Edith Finch. Great from beginning to end. All 3 hours of it.

Doctor_BK

Thomas Was Alone has fantastic voice acting and good, casual platform. I wish more people talked about it, and it’s older so probably pretty cheap. It was a PS Plus game at one point. Gone Home is decent as well. @belmont

"Flame, dear, flame."

PSN: GrzzlyWzrd

Kidfried

@belmont I can't wait to play Night in the Woods. But I'll have to work through my backlog first! I agree with @Th3solution that WROEF is a great choice. And also...

Virginia. I think many slept on this game. The game is narrative driven, but without a single line of text. The characters are very strong and the plot takes some interesting and very serious turns! Many of the 'adult' themes are handled so very well, very much like modern TV series. This is my #1 recommendation, I think.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Game deals with some pretty heavy themes too, like the dark sides of village life, religion and, well, I won't spoil anything. It's told in a very fragmented way, so it's more about you discovering the story that went down, instead of being part of the story. (And the soundtrack is amaaaaazing!)

And of course, @Doctor_BK, Gone Home is a classic too!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

belmont

@JohnnyShoulder @Doctor_BK @Kidfried Thanks for the suggestions my friends. I have beat What Remains of Edith Finch, Gome Home and Thomas was Alone sometime ago but I will check Virginia and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I will keep searching for similar games and post again. On the more "AAA" point of view there are also the two Life is Strange games.

Night in the Woods was a very pleasant surprise. I higly recommend this game (it is on discount on EU now for about 15 euros).

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic